Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-28-2010, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm25x View Post
Basically, what he is trying to say, is your actually hurting yourself more financially by not using the right tool for the job. His example is showing a $900/month profit using the $10k mower over the $8k mower. So even at $18k (scrapping the $8k mower, not reselling) your payments would be less then the $900/month profit allowing you to make more money even though you have a higher start up cost.... if I am reading it correctly. Makes sense. You have to look at things long term, not just what is it costing you right now.
Still, doesnt make sense to me. You have already invested 8k in equipment that can do the job, maybe not the best but it does the job. A couple questions, why doesnt it have any resell value? Does the 8k mower make money? How much more money will the 10k money make you? Until these questions are answered are the said solution is just that "theory"
Old 02-28-2010, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The answer is do your homework and buy the right equipment to start with
Old 03-01-2010, 04:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What to consider on saving money and it is so simple is to keep the air pressure up on all tires. This saves a bunch on fuel and the tires will last longer. I have a check list and the guys check pressure every Monday.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_mow_zing View Post
Still, doesnt make sense to me. You have already invested 8k in equipment that can do the job, maybe not the best but it does the job. A couple questions, why doesnt it have any resell value? Does the 8k mower make money? How much more money will the 10k money make you? Until these questions are answered are the said solution is just that "theory"
It doesnt make sense to me either...an $8k mower that YOU JUST BOUGHT LIKE HE SAID, will still have very high resale value. No need in throwing the word "theoretically" or anything like that. And even with 1000+ hours, ztrs go on here and elsewhere all dam day long for $3k . AND, if you go out and rush into an $8 mower, then hafta run out and buy a $10k mower, YOUR A ******.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHIPPLE5.7 View Post
I clean used items for a fraction of new, build much of my own stuff, maintain my own stuff, run a solo op to avoid work comp, run tires to the steel belts before replacing, etc.
You still have to have work comp., even if you work solo, at least in the commercial realm.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You can't even get workman's comp if you work solo. How can a commercial account require you to have something you can't get? Usually they will accept proof that you're not required to have it or they will accept a "hold harmless" clause in the contract.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
You can't even get workman's comp if you work solo. How can a commercial account require you to have something you can't get? Usually they will accept proof that you're not required to have it or they will accept a "hold harmless" clause in the contract.
I do 99% commercial and have liability and worker's comp. so I think I may have done this once or twice.It may be different in other states, but in Ga. you cannot..........bid on large commercial properties w/o worker's comp, even if you're working solo. It protects the customer from being sued-I do this everyday full time so I'm not mistaken here.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I can't even get workman's comp insurance becasue I'm an owner/operator, I tried. It's not an option. I'm not an employee...my business has zero employees. Workman's comp is for employees. I can and have still bid on commercial accounts because I am not by law required to have workman's comp insurance.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
I can't even get workman's comp insurance becasue I'm an owner/operator, I tried. It's not an option. I'm not an employee...my business has zero employees. Workman's comp is for employees. I can and have still bid on commercial accounts because I am not by law required to have workman's comp insurance.
Worker's comp doesn't cover you, it only covers your employees. You can't get it for yourself-your personal insurance will cover you if something happens to you. Most of the commercial accounts I have are now being required to have proof of worker's comp-daycare, Wal-Mart DC, churches, etc. I'm not sure why you haven't run into that yet. I'm insurance poor-the worker's comp is what really costs out the arse. They also audit you each year to make sure you haven't gone over the $10,000 in payroll-I have to change providers this year because I plan to have a lot more payroll. Basically, I'm a solo guy who hires on an as need basis but I'm about to make the break from being solo. However, they did require worker's comp when I didn't use anyone else-I questioned it.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Exactly. I can't get workmans comp so there's not way I can provide someone with proof of it. I can't sue myself anyway. If I could I'd be rich!!!!