Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-01-2010, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
Exactly. I can't get workmans comp so there's not way I can provide someone with proof of it. I can't sue myself anyway. If I could I'd be rich!!!!
If I could sue myself, I still would not have any money!!!!
Old 03-01-2010, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

i haven't run into commercial accounts requiring workman's comp either.

maybe things are diff. in GA but i've bid and been hired by commercial accounts with no workers comp insurance. infact if what others are saying about solo operators not being able to get workers comp (which makes sense to me) i wouldn't be able to have it myself becasue i'm solo.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
i haven't run into commercial accounts requiring workman's comp either.

maybe things are diff. in GA but i've bid and been hired by commercial accounts with no workers comp insurance. infact if what others are saying about solo operators not being able to get workers comp (which makes sense to me) i wouldn't be able to have it myself becasue i'm solo.
The fact is, being solo doesn't really make a difference-I can't explain it.It's just policy for a lot of places to require it for a contractor they hire. Things have really changed and have become more and more costly. Ten years ago, places around here didn't even require liability much less worker's comp. However, they aren't willing to pay you more money for your service!!!You should try working for Wal-Mart DC-I can't even set foot on the property w/o signing in and getting a name tag-You can't even use the restroom w/o a name tag!!!Each employee has to have a tag and pass a safety test before they can work on the property. It's a lot of red tape-the good thing is, they pay quickly.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

while i can't speak from experience i find it hard to believe a company would go to those great links with the lawn contractor they hire.

they have no reason to require workers comp. it's not there fault if one of your workers gets hurt using your equipment. all they should be concerned with is paying you for the work they hired you for.

hell i've done commercial work without a contract before. worked out an agreement like i do with my residentials. just a word of mouth agreement.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Member

In NY state all trailer registrations expire on Dec 31. They send out renewals. I do not pay the renewal until April. The DMV then prorates the registration. This allows me to not pay registration fees while the trailers are parked for the winter.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
Exactly. I can't get workmans comp so there's not way I can provide someone with proof of it. I can't sue myself anyway. If I could I'd be rich!!!!
Yes, you can. If you, as an owner, are covered under worker's comp, you can put in a claim, just like everyone else.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
while i can't speak from experience i find it hard to believe a company would go to those great links with the lawn contractor they hire.

they have no reason to require workers comp. it's not there fault if one of your workers gets hurt using your equipment. all they should be concerned with is paying you for the work they hired you for.

hell i've done commercial work without a contract before. worked out an agreement like i do with my residentials. just a word of mouth agreement.
I think it's stupid too but that's what they required to bid on the job-I had no choice. I also had to have commercial insurance on my truck. They also will not allow me to drive my truck around the back of the building because of liability with the 18 wheelers-We do a lot of walking!!!
Old 03-02-2010, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Not sure if it was mentioned yet. When gas prices fluctuate a lot we keep a check on the stock market news online. If prices look like they will go up the next day we buy gas before we go home. If they look like they will go down we hold out until the next day. Also we only buy gas at the places with the best prices.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain man View Post
Not sure if it was mentioned yet. When gas prices fluctuate a lot we keep a check on the stock market news online. If prices look like they will go up the next day we buy gas before we go home. If they look like they will go down we hold out until the next day. Also we only buy gas at the places with the best prices.
this is just my 2 cents so don't take it personal even though i don't understand people like you....

i buy guys when i NEED it. doesn't matter if it's gonna go up or down in a day or 2 or not. i don't chase prices either.

the way i see it, it will all even out in the end anyway. if you drive around town looking for the cheapest gas station to get gas at you've wasted all that gas looking for the cheapest so you'll put more in your tank.

lets say gas is suppose to go up in price on wed. and you have half a tank but you get gas on tues. because it's suppose to go up. thurs. comes and it's dropped to a cheaper price than it was tues. when you got it. you could have waited until thurs. because hell you had half a tank.

thats just me though. i only fill my truck up when it's a quarter of a tank and i do the same for the lawn mowers and i wait until the gas cans are empty before filling them up. doesn't matter if prices are gonna raise, lower, or stay the same.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscraper1 View Post
Yes, you can. If you, as an owner, are covered under worker's comp, you can put in a claim, just like everyone else.
Workman's comp is for and only covers employees. My business does not have any employees. No payroll. Zero. Not even me. It's set up as an LLC but for financial purposes it functions as a sole proprietorship.