Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-24-2010, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Member

walker mower won't start

I have a 2004 walker MTGHS 26hp EFI and it has 3,810 hours.this morning i went to start the mower, and the oil pressure warning light,over temp warning light,and service engine soon light and alarm all came on.the engine was a little low on oil so i topped it off and the oil light went off but alarm and temp warning light stays on and service engine soon light stays on. when i go and start the mower it cranks over but will not start..this mower has a code that came up but i dont know what it means and would like to know.code 6-1 which is 61 .. please help thanks..
Old 02-24-2010, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

According to Kohler diagnostic code table "61" means end of code transmissions, ie. test complete .http://www.kohlerengines.com/manuals/landing.htm
Old 02-25-2010, 12:55 AM
LawnSite Member

thanks for the information from kohler. im reading the service manual and its leading me taward a fuel issue..i will have to troubleshoot and test all components of fuel system and go from there.. one more thing? why whould my over temperature warning light come on when my engine is cold? and do you think the warning alarm went off due to the service engine soon light being on due to the fuel issue?
Old 02-25-2010, 07:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think most "Idiot Lights" come on initially to indicate they are working and the bulb is not blown, and go out once the engine is started.

The first place, in my opinion, you should start is to give your Carburetor a good cleaning. Remove, disassemble, and clean thoroughly inside, with Carburetor/Choke cleaning solvent.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Walker won't start

This is an EFI engine which utilizes fuel injectors and does not use a carb for fuel delivery. Check the fuse for the electric fuel pump first. Sometimes, its the simple things that cause fuel problems.

Eric
Old 02-26-2010, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Did it run out of gas? If it did then your gonna have to pull the clamp off of the fuel line and put gas into it so that the injectors can suck it into the motor. You may have to do it a couple of times, it takes awhile. If it didnt run out of gas then you have an air leak somewhere and the motor is sucking in air, but I will bet if you disconnect the fuel line and continue to put gas in the line then try and crank it, it will eventually start. If you try and crank it to much though it will continue to suck in air and make it that much harder to start.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Could it be a circuit board or a bad connection making the thing go haywire?

Because that's the only thing I can figure, all them lights coming on and then the mower not starting...

I'd certainly second the recommendation of checking first the fuses, and relays if it has.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You should hear the fuel pump prime it's self when the key is fisrt turned on. It will then stop after a few seconds. Is it doing that?
Old 02-26-2010, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Member

the mower did run out of gas and yes the fuel pump comes for a second then shuts off once the fuel system is presurized..im going to disconect the line from fuel filter and hook it up to a seperete container and see if it cranks over with fresh fuel.. i'll give that a shot tomarrow...thanks guys
Old 02-27-2010, 12:56 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Walker24.....E-mail me at envelopes1@windstream.net.
I do not wish to post my phone number in public