Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-25-2010, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Member

blade sharpening

what are some good brands of blade sharpeners.never done my own but would like to this year but dont know where to look for them.are they expensive and are they hard to master?
Old 02-25-2010, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sharpen all mine with a 4" grinder with a wheel from NAPA that has alot of flaps on it. it is not a solid wheel. Takes very little metal off. Drive a nail in the wall to balance. Been doing it for 11yrs. Dont cost alot and gets the job done. Get a 18V grinder and you can do it on the job with blades on.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I dont mean to sound like an azz but do a search. There are literally 100's of threads about sharpening blades. All the info you will ever need!
I personally use a MagnaMatic! Worth every cent!

Youtube Channel... http://tinyurl.com/l9a3843
Old 02-25-2010, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Member

yeah i just found that and it looks like a pretty good machine
Old 02-25-2010, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I sharpen my blades with sand paper, you can do it in between jobs and don't have to remove blades. It also doesn't take off much metal and saves on buying new blades. I just use my finger to balance blades, it's cheaper and it works.
Doolittle 7x12 Trailor
Redmax EBZ 8001
Stihl FS90 R Trimmer
Stihl FS100 RX Trimmer
Stihl SH 86 Vac
Kawasaki KHT600D Hedge Trimmer
Magna Matic 9000 Blade Shapener
Magna Matic 1000 Blade Balancer
Old 02-25-2010, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_n_weave View Post
I sharpen my blades with sand paper, you can do it in between jobs and don't have to remove blades. It also doesn't take off much metal and saves on buying new blades. I just use my finger to balance blades, it's cheaper and it works.
are you serious?

we use a rgb by wall. cant remember the model, but she is getting old and still grindin
Old 02-25-2010, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

does anybody out there use the magna matic balancer? i cant imagine spending over 100 bucks when u can (as posted above) drive a nail into a wall. dont mean to hijack the thread. im interested to hear some other replies as well
Old 02-25-2010, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakerugg View Post
does anybody out there use the magna matic balancer? i cant imagine spending over 100 bucks when u can (as posted above) drive a nail into a wall. dont mean to hijack the thread. im interested to hear some other replies as well
I imported the Magna "pack" to Australia. Cost me MUCH more than it would you (about Au$1200 or so). Like I said, worth every cent.
The difference it made on vibrations coming out of the deck was unreal. Even new blades that I was getting were shockingly out of balance. I bought some Fusion blades recently and put them on the balancer. 2 of the 3 were out of balance!
People will say theres no point to balancing. I would strongly disagree with that. The comfort and noise value alone is worth it, let alone the extra wear it MUST be putting on spindles.

Before I got the "pack" my blades wouldnt last very long as I hated sharpening them with the angle grinder. I would sharpen once, maybe twice and throw them away. Now Im getting through an entire season on 2 maybe 3 sets if I dont hit anything. Time and effort involved in blade maintenance has been dramatically reduced. I can go through the process of taking blades off, sharpen/balance and put them back on in probably 5 mins. That has got to be worth $omething!

The balancer has a guide to see if your blades are straight. This is great if you hit anything.
Basically, I made my money back in practically the first year and half.

If not the the sharpener, I would recommend you get balancer. It will blow you away how inaccurate nails, plastic cone rubbish and "fingers" are!

Old 02-26-2010, 01:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

that is a good testimony. i dont think the big man would ever spend that kind of loot on a blade sharpener. i just dont think the "value" could be seen or justified to him(or me) but you do make it sound pretty compelling
Old 02-26-2010, 02:28 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Understand that blades cost anywhere from $25 to $40 each here.

I try to think of it like this......

The cheapest blades I can get are now about $25 each, thats $75/set.

So at approx 8 sets/yr cost was $600 minimum.
When I used the angle grinder I would spend conservatively 30mins on blades per week. One sharpening per week! (Would usually take longer than that, just keeping it simple.)
My minimum working rate is usually $60/hr. Thats $120 a month in my time wasted on blades.

Now its costing me $225/yr and its taking me WAY less time and effort to maintain them.
Now its approx 15min a week. At least 3 sharpening's a week now. Thats $60/mth in my time.

So...
With angle grinder..... $600 in blades + $120x8mths = $1560 on blade/year.

With Magna...... $225 in blades + $60x8mths = $705 on blades/yr. Add cost of magna $1200 + 705= $1905 first year cost.

Ive just realised why I wrote all that! Its Friday, didnt work due to rain. I should be sitting out on the deck with an ice cold beer!