Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-25-2010, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Exmark Life expectancy

How long can you get a mower to last for you?

I know taking care of the equipment is key in all of this

i bought a 6yr old mower (2003 exmark turf tracer) last year and hope to get a few more seasons from it

i have about 12-15 accounts which can take 10hrs of mowing in 1 day

it has a 17 hp kawasaki engine as well

thanks in advance
Brenden
Old 02-26-2010, 01:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 2003 Lazer HP I bought new. Its my personal front line mower all these years. Still is today. Its right at 2000 hours and still going. It runs all day everyday during the cutting season.
I have a 2000 Lazer HP that has a broken ring in the motor. Everything else is perfect. I'm going to fix it this season and keep it running.
Both have been very productive machines all these years. I'm the one in the seat most of the time. That makes a difference. Trimmers are for helpers.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

shoot give it a ring job and give the internals a good check for excesive wear and give er hell
Old 02-26-2010, 01:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by albhb3 View Post
shoot give it a ring job and give the internals a good check for excesive wear and give er hell
That's the plan.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:10 AM
LawnSite Member

How many hours typically would you advise on a motor before putting rings in it and having it checked over?
Old 02-26-2010, 02:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

personally 1500hrs I would say just by looking threw the threads it seems alot of problems start 18-2000 hrs prevention is key
Old 02-26-2010, 03:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

My oldest just turned 13 but I'm working on another that's a circa 1992 model.
Toros, but same thing, I'd say 8-10 years easy, once the engine needs to be replaced I know for
a fact the owner's as well off replacing the entire machine but some of us are stubborn, you can
make them last forever it just gets to a point where it's more and more just to keep it running and
then it won't run at full speed like the new ones so it's holding you back...

Anyhow, you'll have to decide but 6 years is no age for a mower, that much I do know.
You should get at least another 2 years out of it before any real problems start to arise, maybe longer.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It depends on the hours more so than years. All of the walkbehinds I've ever had started getting nagging little problems around 1,000 hours. I had a Exmark Metro 36. It was very hard on the greaseless spindles. As time went on the pullies were wearing out, electrical parts started failing and the tranny was making noise. The deck had a crack up by where it attaches to the mower frame. Stuff like that.

ZTRs appear to be heavier built. My current Dixie has been rock solid so far and it has 1,000 hours on it. I ran my prior Dixie to 1,200 hours before I sold it to buy this one and it had very few problems. Mostly just with the throttle cable but Dixie has corrected that issue.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I belive there rated at 11 years
Old 02-26-2010, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I bought an Exmark Viking, 36", fixed deck, 15hp Kohler in 1996. It was used as the sole machine for 1996-2006, averaging 600-700 hours per season. At about 3,000 hours, the Kohler was replaced with another engine, exactly the same. Three seasons ago, I added a 48 ZTR, so the Exmark was used about half time for the past three seasons. I'm sure it has well over 6,000 hours.

Other than being repowered, one hydro pump has been replaced, spindle bearings have been replaced multiple times, a few new belts, and one new set of tires. No question, the linkages for the ground control are loose, holes a bit out of round. But, it continues to run strong, and there is no reason to consider replacing. Much of its life it pulled either a one-wheeled Velky, or a two-wheel BullRider. I don't use either of them any more -- just walk now. The engine gets an oil change every 35-40 hours, filter every other change. The hydro gets a new filter and new fluid once per year.

There is lots of life in these machines. I suspect this machine will outlast me.

My ZTR is a JD 717A, Z-trak, 19hp Kaw. It has 1,030 hours after three season, so doesn't get used much. It seems new, nothing seems worn or not working well. It seems like I just brought it home as a new machine. I'm still running original belts, and they look pretty good (new ones on the shelf). Again, these machines will last for years and years with proper care.

I am the sole operator, and the sole maintenance person as well.