Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-16-2010, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I found my guys......

KILLING TIME while I sent them to do snow removal.

Its been a while since I have been suspecting that it takes them too much time to do our snow clients, so tonight I decided to keep an "eye" on them.

They were standing for an hour in front of my client huose, next to my truck having a really good time, laughing really loud. I was watching that the whole time. I called them on the phone and pretend that I was calling from home just to check up on them, the one that answered the phone played like he was so out of breath and tired, told me that they were almost done and they will finish soon.

After they left my client house, they stay a few more minutes killing time (again) on a side road, I drove on the main road right in front of them, I think at that point they saw me then I follow them ( I was a few vehicles behind) but I guess they saw me, so the driver pulls over, lets the traffic go by(including me) then he drives home.

I am sure that they saw me driving in front of them. They came home, gave the truck key to my wife, she asked them until when were they working and the guy ( with an attitude) responds: "until now! "

What would you do in this case? should I let this go, or what?
Old 02-17-2010, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would not let it go.....that's a big trust issue. I would at least have a serious sit down talk with them and let them know this is their one and only strike and next offense they are terminated. If this is not the first time something like this has happened than you might need to look for new help.
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 02-17-2010, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

can em NOW

take the guy with a attitude out back and have a better talk with him on how you never disrespect my wife. The world is coming back to the tuff way, heard about one guy today who owed 250k to a sub and he got shot and killed. Another guy who owed money got beat by 3 guys outside the bar last Thursday. Times are tuff dont f with people.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:06 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn View Post
should I let this go, or what?
Umm.. it's spelled "them", not "this". And yes, I'd can the lot of them. Actually, you should have had a camera with you or cell phone with video and recorded them standing there BSing around so that you had visual proof in an unemployment insurance case.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

#1 i'd knock the F%^& out of the guy for disrespecting my wife
#2 Can all of them(plenty of people lookin for work)
#3 its payroll fraud wht they are doin

Landscape Contractors
Louisiana Licensed: Landscape/Horticulturist, Commercial Ground Applicator, Arborist, Irrigation Contractor, Utility Arborist

Onsite Sandbagging, Palletized Sandbags & Bulk Totes, Emergency Response, Erosion & StormWater Barriers
Old 02-17-2010, 02:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'd suggest cooling off for a bit before starting on this...

But don't you have procedures that you follow in these cases?
I'm guessing you don't, but have you ever worked for someone else,
and if you were working for someone else what would they do?
Are you sure they would just fire you?

And yes I agree what they did is uncalled for, but they're just testing the waters.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Heck if you can replace these guys easy enough then I'd just dock em one hour for that week and when they come ask you why they were missin an hour, just tell them that was the hour you were screwing around in front of "Mr Jones" house.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:36 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I would not let it go, at the very least, have a serious conversation with them and start watching more closely for a while.

Have you ever thought about GPS tracking for your truck. They have cell phones for kids that let parents track where they are, and I don't think they are very expensive. Stick one in the truck, and you'll be able to see if their at a spot too long.

Also, do they have a route sheet? Have them put a start and end time to each job. Its easy to add a few minutes here and there, but not easy to hide an hour if you know how long the jobs should take. That should be a basic thing that everyone does with a crew.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

a lot of cell phone companies now have GPS tracking on their phones as an option. nextel has an option for cell phone employee tracking... if you provide the cell phone then its yours to track...

http://www.nextel.com/en/services/gp..._locator.shtml

real time with maps
Old 02-17-2010, 07:26 AM
LawnSite Member

I think it is normal to be frustrated with this but it also is likely that if you fire them, you could hire another group of employees who would do the same thing again.

Remember, employees need to be led so take a look at what procedures you currently have in place with regard to time and operations. If you don't have any in writing, now is the time to do so.

They need to see you as serious about things being done a certain way and then you will also have a distinct standard to hold them to.

I would be careful about rushing to fire employees every time they do something wrong. If they are overall good employees, it is much better to sit down with them and be straight about what you saw and let them know that it cannot happen again. If it continues, then you will want to consider further actions but just try not to let yourself react out of frustration--I have made some bad decisions like that myself..best of luck to you.