Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-01-2010, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos View Post

More professional mowing contractors should POLL THEIR CLIENTS as to whether THEY prefer bagging vs. mulching of their clippings.
I believe that most of my customers wouldn't know what the question meant. In discussions from time to time, if the topic arises, it is clear they have no idea, nor do they care, what is done. Oh yes, there is a small percentage who understand, but it is a very small percentage.

The important question to my residential customers, "Does the job look good?" How that goal is accomplished is up to me. Much earlier in my life as an LCO, I got all bunched up about the topic. I tried to explain, get permissions, etc. That mentality is all gone now.

As I've been doing this work for many years now, it is clearer and clearer that nearly all of them just don't know, nor do they care. I never mention one word in my offer letters or quotations about clipping management. I do what is necessary to meet the standard I believe is right for the property, for the customer, and for me. The second item is what is important -- being sure to understand what the customer expects. However, I am also very concerned about what result I leave when I drive away - every finished job is my marketing brochure for other potential clients. I may choose to do more work than the client expects. That is my choice, for the benefit of my reputation.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEGOLDPRO View Post
alittle easier i suppose in the tight spots as far as visibility goes, both trucks are the exact same length so they maneuver the same.
I guess I was thinking of backdragging and using a pull plow on small residential driveways. I want to get a plow next winter because I'm sick of snowblower/shovel combo. Last time I checked out plows, 6-8 years ago, back dragging was a pipe dream. But the last couple years I've saw more and more plows back dragging or using a pull plow and doing a really good job.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
Although his attitude is obviously over-the-top, I agree with him in his overall point that the practice of bagging lawn clippings is essentially the resurrection of your grandfather's naive mistake of an idea.
Grandpa never put any thought to the fact that the clippings he bagged & hauled off actually represented X% of the nitrogen he applied earlier that year.
Not to mention what he was doing was clogging up landfills unneccessally....(or the watersheds, if he was dumping illegally!)

Many contractors that currently 'bag & haul' COULD BE mulching/discharging X% of their clippings, but they:

A) purchased expensive clipping (& leaf) pickup equipment that's often cumbersome, if not impossible to switch over to a 'mulch &/or discharge' system in the insane craziness of the growing season

B) in general, give little or no thought to the overall health & well being of the turf under their wheels, aside from maybe ....seeing a "nice stripe".
These types of guys have completely NO understanding of the importance of returning clippings have to maintaining soil health in the turf.
So to these dweebs, this whole debate is inconsequential.

C) they fall behind in their mowing schedule for whatever reason, or get socked with rain / snow, etc...and thus feel pressed to hook up collection systems to get caught up.
But when they finally do, they stay in the 'pickup' pattern instead of switching to 'mulch'
Why?........
Either because of human nature's tendency to "stay the course".....
or
....because some of them feel they may rock the boat with their clients if they had been bagging clippings prior, then mulching / discharging later.

More professional mowing contractors should POLL THEIR CLIENTS as to whether THEY prefer bagging vs. mulching of their clippings.
I'll bet many of them that've been hiding under rocks might be surprised just what direction public consensus has taken lately!
Smart man.

This is what I have found. Clients are reluctant to have A LAWN mulched because most LCO's do not know how to manage N. Most LCO's are also clueless when it comes to mulching deck design. A converted side discharge deck will not cut it unless heavily modified. If the customer does not see any clippings or leaf debris when you pull away they will they will be glad you are mulching as it is better for the soil/turf.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
I believe that most of my customers wouldn't know what the question meant. In discussions from time to time, if the topic arises, it is clear they have no idea, nor do they care, what is done. Oh yes, there is a small percentage who understand, but it is a very small percentage.

The important question to my residential customers, "Does the job look good?" How that goal is accomplished is up to me. Much earlier in my life as an LCO, I got all bunched up about the topic. I tried to explain, get permissions, etc. That mentality is all gone now.

As I've been doing this work for many years now, it is clearer and clearer that nearly all of them just don't know, nor do they care. I never mention one word in my offer letters or quotations about clipping management. I do what is necessary to meet the standard I believe is right for the property, for the customer, and for me. The second item is what is important -- being sure to understand what the customer expects. However, I am also very concerned about what result I leave when I drive away - every finished job is my marketing brochure for other potential clients. I may choose to do more work than the client expects. That is my choice, for the benefit of my reputation.
should also depend on how much the client is paying you. thats why i ask thos kind of questions. i'm gonna charge more for bagging a lawn than i will to side discharge it. if all the client will pay for is discharge even when some weeks it would need bagging due to excessive rain and growth thats all they get is discharge. i might run over the front twice or bag the front so i make a good impression for the rest of the neighborhood and maybe get some more business but i'm not gonna bag the whole lawn each and every time for the discharge price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THC View Post
I guess I was thinking of backdragging and using a pull plow on small residential driveways. I want to get a plow next winter because I'm sick of snowblower/shovel combo. Last time I checked out plows, 6-8 years ago, back dragging was a pipe dream. But the last couple years I've saw more and more plows back dragging or using a pull plow and doing a really good job.
join my discussion in the off topic forum about blades.

i've been doing snow removal with my snow blower for 3 winters now. i've been looking at blades recently and am considering one for next winter.

problem is my truck is only rear wheel drive. i've been told i can run a rear plow no problem, even got a quote from a company around here for a rear plow. i've also been wondering if my truck would support one of the compact truck/SUV blades. it sounds like it should.

i'm running an 04 half ton chevy silverado. we usually see amounts of not much more than 4 inches each time it snows. once or twice a season we might see more. i do residential driveways only. i would think i could support one of the smaller blades or a rear blade for sure.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Member

We run walkers, and bag them all. We have retrofitted our trailers with 2 gates on the front so we can back our mowers up into the dump Truck and dump. I'm too old to be lifting barrels.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtford View Post
We run walkers, and bag them all. We have retrofitted our trailers with 2 gates on the front so we can back our mowers up into the dump Truck and dump. I'm too old to be lifting barrels.
why not just purchase the lift for the walkers to back right up to the truck and dump???
Old 03-01-2010, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
why not just purchase the lift for the walkers to back right up to the truck and dump???

I've never owned a Walker but if I did that high lift attachment would be ordered with the machine. I never understood why the Walker guys dump the hopper on a tarp or in a barrel. That lift attachment is the best part of the Walker mower, imo. I want to build something like that for a ztr, kinda how JD had the highlift dump for the old 400 series tractors. It would be the cats arse.

2013 haulmark 18' trailer
2013 John Deere 52' walkbehind
2012 Gator with skid sprayer
2010 Turfco T-3000
2008 JD 997
2006 JD 647a
2004 JD 757 w/ 3 bag & Iron MCS
2002 JD 757 w/ 2 bag MCS
2002 JD 757
Stihl, Echo, Tanka 2 strokes
Big Tex trailers
Tons of other equipment
Old 03-01-2010, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCS View Post
I've never owned a Walker but if I did that high lift attachment would be ordered with the machine. I never understood why the Walker guys dump the hopper on a tarp or in a barrel. That lift attachment is the best part of the Walker mower, imo. I want to build something like that for a ztr, kinda how JD had the highlift dump for the old 400 series tractors. It would be the cats arse.
it definitly would be the way to go. especially if you have an enclosed trailer. i know a lot of the guys that have open trailers just use the front part of the trailer to dump the grass from the walker but that takes up space on the trailer.

the only time i ever dump grass in a barrel is when i'm in the back yards. i have 55 gallon drums i've cut in half. i can dump my grass catcher from the 52" 2 maybe 3 times before i need to empty the drum. in the front yards i just run the catcher to the truck.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
should also depend on how much the client is paying you. thats why i ask thos kind of questions. i'm gonna charge more for bagging a lawn than i will to side discharge it. if all the client will pay for is discharge even when some weeks it would need bagging due to excessive rain and growth thats all they get is discharge. i might run over the front twice or bag the front so i make a good impression for the rest of the neighborhood and maybe get some more business but i'm not gonna bag the whole lawn each and every time for the discharge price.

join my discussion in the off topic forum about blades.

i've been doing snow removal with my snow blower for 3 winters now. i've been looking at blades recently and am considering one for next winter.

problem is my truck is only rear wheel drive. i've been told i can run a rear plow no problem, even got a quote from a company around here for a rear plow. i've also been wondering if my truck would support one of the compact truck/SUV blades. it sounds like it should.

i'm running an 04 half ton chevy silverado. we usually see amounts of not much more than 4 inches each time it snows. once or twice a season we might see more. i do residential driveways only. i would think i could support one of the smaller blades or a rear blade for sure.
You guys should look at the Hiniker "C" plow, ive had one for 5 years, and i dont think i could live without it, you cant beat it when it comes to back dragging.........now back to multch or not to multch....

Old 03-01-2010, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a question...how well of a job will you do when multching thick, sometimes damp bluegrass, with a 1 to 1.5 inch cut, i love the thought of multching, but have feared clumping with this type of turf condition. I'd hate to spend the $350 dollars for a mutch kit for my grasshopper diesel if it didnt look perfect in the end. input?