Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-27-2010, 03:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2stroke View Post
my loadhanler is worth its wieght in gold
will your load handler unload that much grass?
2013 7x20 sur-track open trailer
2010 exmark lazer "x" series 60" 34hp
2011 exmark lazer "x" series 60" 29hp
2013 exmark lazer "s" series 60" 27hp
2013 exmark turf tracer "s" series 52" 20hp
2011 wright stander RH 52" 19hp
1013 exmark commerical 30" wb
honda push mower
(4) weed wips shindiawa,redmax,echo
(2) stick edgers shindiawa,redmax
(3)redmax 7001
sthil br 340
pluger aerator

230 lawns
Old 02-27-2010, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i just pulled the trigger on a 6ft aluminum Truck craft insert for my chev. I went 2 years just putting it in the bed of my truck, I was averaging an hour by myself to unload every night after i sent my guys home for the day. Which was a pain but not costing me employee wages. Well this last fall i was needing to dump at lunch and then again at the end of the day, and it was killing me.
6ft Aluminum Truck Craft Dump Insert
20x8 Atlas Enclosed Trailer
14x 6.5 Tandem Open Landscaping Trailer
1 2011 Walker 23/48
1 36" Scag Belt Drive Fixed Deck walkbehind
2 21" Toro Super Recylers
1 Blue Bird Lawn Dethatcher
1 Classen 30" core aerator
1 Sthil FS 90R (love the 4-mix)
1 Sthil KM 90R with trimmer, edger, poll pruner and tiller
1 Stihl HS 45
1 Stihl BR429
1 Sthil BG 55 D

Old 02-27-2010, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with the guy that said ya'll a bunch of noobs. Don't bag grass unless it's badly over grown. I never lost a customer because I mulch, lots of them like it and some have requested it, and most of my yards are 5-10k lots. If someone requests I bag their grass I tell them I only do it when it's over grown and that's it. We part ways if there's a problem with that. I even mulch leaves in the fall now, I don't know what you people are thinking about. Maybe you can't mulch with a 21? serves you right for shopping at home depot.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i don't go out with the intent of bagging my lawns, i have Side discharge and high lift blades on my machines, i tryed a mulching kit on my scag, but it seams like every april, may, a bit of june, september october and a bit of november, i just can't stop bagging. And bagging lots, like filling my accelerator and grass gobbler 4 or 5 times in a back yard, and were not talking big back yards, all of my residentials are under a 1/4 acer pritty much
6ft Aluminum Truck Craft Dump Insert
20x8 Atlas Enclosed Trailer
14x 6.5 Tandem Open Landscaping Trailer
1 2011 Walker 23/48
1 36" Scag Belt Drive Fixed Deck walkbehind
2 21" Toro Super Recylers
1 Blue Bird Lawn Dethatcher
1 Classen 30" core aerator
1 Sthil FS 90R (love the 4-mix)
1 Sthil KM 90R with trimmer, edger, poll pruner and tiller
1 Stihl HS 45
1 Stihl BR429
1 Sthil BG 55 D

Old 02-27-2010, 08:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by climber338 View Post
I just let them fly because one third of the lawns nitrogen is in those clipping. If your running into thatch problems then you need to restore the lawns micro organisms in the form of compost tea or just a layer of compost on the lawn. In my experience fertilizers tend to kill off the micro organisms and then the thatch comes soon after. I live in the north east and just letting them fly seems to work great for me. I even took over for a guy who was bagging and the lawn looked like crap when i got there. At the end of the season it was nice and green and hardly any weeds because i also let it grow higher then most and that shades out allot of weeds.
I have a few places that I do not bag. Those lawns look the worst. You do know that when you spread those clippings your also spreading the weeds.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Baggers.... read this, enlighten yourself AND your customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THC View Post
I agree with the guy that said ya'll a bunch of noobs. Don't bag grass unless it's badly over grown. I never lost a customer because I mulch, lots of them like it and some have requested it, and most of my yards are 5-10k lots. If someone requests I bag their grass I tell them I only do it when it's over grown and that's it. We part ways if there's a problem with that. I even mulch leaves in the fall now, I don't know what you people are thinking about. Maybe you can't mulch with a 21? serves you right for shopping at home depot.
I agree 100% A lawn should only be bagged when overgrown, the grass is very wet or has a lot of moisture in it, otherwise it should be mulched.

Baggers...... enlighten yourself and read the article in the link below, educate yourself:

http://cecalaveras.ucdavis.edu/grass.htm

Mulching Yes!! Bagging No!!!

Happy Mulching!!!
Old 02-27-2010, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THC View Post
I love guys like you. Makes it so easy to for us, so called noobs, to pick up more customers.
Hey, does this mean I have to buy my equipment at Home Depot in order to keep my nooby card. I don't think I can do that. They don't carry those $3000 collection systems I use on my $13,000 Hustler Super Z's.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I am not saying that I bag 100% of the time, because I do not. I depends on the situation for me. On the larger properties and the ones that are not all that great I use my 66" mower either SD or mulching. Where I do bag is most of my residential that are Bermuda and all of my commercial where some of the trash including cig butts are a problem.

But please do not come on here and call me a noob for bagging. There are cases where mulching is better and times when bagging is better. Also there is times when some of you that are mulching grass that is too long are actually hurting the lawn. Let some of you that are mulching enthusiast come down to my area and cut some nice Bermuda and see how gung-ho you are then.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Why is that every time that someone has a question about bagging there is always the know it alls that have to get their .02 in about why the whole world should just mulch everything? NOT EVERY occasion calls for a lawn to be mulched!! Start a new thread on the superior greatness of never bagging.

Now, when we do bag, we use one of two options. One is we dump on 6'x8' tarps and tie them up. One person can handle these tarps by them self without throwing out your back or anything. Plus they are the perfect size for dumping from the Navigators. The second option is we use these large, 4 handled, canvas type bags that we get from a the hardscape stores. When we buy pea gravel or small loose rock they will put it in these bags. After they are empty we reuse them for grass clippings or whatever else. They are very strong and last a long time. Most of the stone yards around us sell them.

We usually do not bag a whole lot so we typically just keep the tarps or bags on the trailer for a couple of days until we make a run to the vegetative dump.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
i find the lawn guys who pile there grass so high and don't put a tarp over the top letting it fall out of the truck as they drive extremely rude, inconsiderate and annoying.

i only fill my truck bed to the top of the rails, maybe a little higher, but if i can't get my 6' x 8' tarp over the top and secured down then i'm putting in to much.

that pic there is never something you'll find me doing. i'd even consider turning someone over to the law for something like that and yes there is a law against stuff like that.
What exactly are you talking about? If your referring to the pic of the Dodge truck that is on a job cutting grass and has a mess going on that I'm sure he cleaned up and put in the truck bed AND covered it all up with the tarp laying on the ground, then you have serious problems. Your running your mouth threatening to turn someone in and don't have a clue what your even talking about.