Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-27-2010, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
i find the lawn guys who pile there grass so high and don't put a tarp over the top letting it fall out of the truck as they drive extremely rude, inconsiderate and annoying.

i only fill my truck bed to the top of the rails, maybe a little higher, but if i can't get my 6' x 8' tarp over the top and secured down then i'm putting in to much.

that pic there is never something you'll find me doing. i'd even consider turning someone over to the law for something like that and yes there is a law against stuff like that.
In this situation the cow farm that i dump at is less than a 1/4 mile on a dirt rd. in a private subdivition. get a clue buddy.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2stroke View Post
In this situation the cow farm that i dump at is less than a 1/4 mile on a dirt rd. in a private subdivition. get a clue buddy.
I guess yardguy28 is one of those ANNOYING people that make a comment when they ASSUME you are finished a job BEFORE you actually are.

You know the type, ex: expect a tool to be put away after each task instead of at the end of a job even though you'll need to use it half dozen more times. Hey everybody let's do double the work on a job!
Old 02-27-2010, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THC View Post
I agree with the guy that said ya'll a bunch of noobs. Don't bag grass unless it's badly over grown. I never lost a customer because I mulch, lots of them like it and some have requested it, and most of my yards are 5-10k lots. If someone requests I bag their grass I tell them I only do it when it's over grown and that's it. We part ways if there's a problem with that. I even mulch leaves in the fall now, I don't know what you people are thinking about. Maybe you can't mulch with a 21? serves you right for shopping at home depot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdk1959 View Post
I agree 100% A lawn should only be bagged when overgrown, the grass is very wet or has a lot of moisture in it, otherwise it should be mulched.

Baggers...... enlighten yourself and read the article in the link below, educate yourself:

http://cecalaveras.ucdavis.edu/grass.htm

Mulching Yes!! Bagging No!!!

Happy Mulching!!!
i'm sure most of us on here know the benefits of mulching vs. bagging. but as i will state below not every situation can be mulched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscraper1 View Post
I love guys like you. Makes it so easy to for us, so called noobs, to pick up more customers.
Hey, does this mean I have to buy my equipment at Home Depot in order to keep my nooby card. I don't think I can do that. They don't carry those $3000 collection systems I use on my $13,000 Hustler Super Z's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Other-Side View Post
Why is that every time that someone has a question about bagging there is always the know it alls that have to get their .02 in about why the whole world should just mulch everything? NOT EVERY occasion calls for a lawn to be mulched!! Start a new thread on the superior greatness of never bagging.

Now, when we do bag, we use one of two options. One is we dump on 6'x8' tarps and tie them up. One person can handle these tarps by them self without throwing out your back or anything. Plus they are the perfect size for dumping from the Navigators. The second option is we use these large, 4 handled, canvas type bags that we get from a the hardscape stores. When we buy pea gravel or small loose rock they will put it in these bags. After they are empty we reuse them for grass clippings or whatever else. They are very strong and last a long time. Most of the stone yards around us sell them.

We usually do not bag a whole lot so we typically just keep the tarps or bags on the trailer for a couple of days until we make a run to the vegetative dump.
i'm with you guys 100%. not every situation can be mulched. if your mowing wet or longer than normal turf mulching just makes it look like sheot. as for the leaves. a lot of clients prefer the spotless look bagging them up provides. and around my neck of the woods thats what they pay us for in the first place. you also have the clients that request you bag there lawn each and every time and i for one will not turn away business just because they want it bagged each and every time, especially when they are willing to pay the price for it to be bagged. i also bag my commercial properties because it makes clean up with parking lots A LOT easier. i learned that lesson the hard way.

the only mulch kit i own and will ever use is the one on my 36" metro and thats because it's primarily used on smaller backyards where if i side discharged it would cover the mulch beds with grass. i side discharge most lawns, except for my commercial accounts, the clients that request it be bagged, if the lawn is to long to side discharge and during the fall when the leaves are falling everyone gets bagged.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALC-GregH View Post
What exactly are you talking about? If your referring to the pic of the Dodge truck that is on a job cutting grass and has a mess going on that I'm sure he cleaned up and put in the truck bed AND covered it all up with the tarp laying on the ground, then you have serious problems. Your running your mouth threatening to turn someone in and don't have a clue what your even talking about.
never said i was going to turn him in. but i would consider turning someone in my neck of the woods in if i was out and saw someone driving down the road like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2stroke View Post
yep i saw those very words right in the picture i made the comments on. what i was thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdk1959 View Post
I guess yardguy28 is one of those ANNOYING people that make a comment when they ASSUME you are finished a job BEFORE you actually are.

You know the type, ex: expect a tool to be put away after each task instead of at the end of a job even though you'll need to use it half dozen more times. Hey everybody let's do double the work on a job!
well you would know all about that because your ASSUMING i'm one of those people
Old 02-27-2010, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I never multch a lawn, either it gets bagged or blown, it looks like crap if you multch a wet lawn, and i dont have the time to wait until 1000 o'clock for the lawns to dry after a heavy dew, and when i do bag i fill the ruck to the top with the grass, open the tailgate and drive like a mofo, why..because its less grass to shovel out of the truck!!!

Old 02-27-2010, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasontimm View Post
I never multch a lawn, either it gets bagged or blown, it looks like crap if you multch a wet lawn, and i dont have the time to wait until 1000 o'clock for the lawns to dry after a heavy dew, and when i do bag i fill the ruck to the top with the grass, open the tailgate and drive like a mofo, why..because its less grass to shovel out of the truck!!!
If you get those results mulching your N program is mismanaged or your mulching system sub par.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Dawg View Post
This is the end of my 14th season. How much longer do I need to stop being a noob? And does that mean I need to sell my Walker and the bags for my 21"
No, it means you are wasting time , resources and you might educate yourself on the benefits to the turf/soil that leaving clipping does. Clippings are a EXCELLENT source of fresh OM.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscraper1 View Post
I love guys like you. Makes it so easy to for us, so called noobs, to pick up more customers.
Hey, does this mean I have to buy my equipment at Home Depot in order to keep my nooby card. I don't think I can do that. They don't carry those $3000 collection systems I use on my $13,000 Hustler Super Z's.
If you put that heavy ill cutting field mower in my small residentials I mulch you would be fired within four weeks. Bragging on a machine because how much you spent does not impress anyone.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

IF a customer wants thier lawn bagged, you bag it, if the lawn get really long and you want it to look great when your done you bag it! all my lawn look great when i'm done, in 9 years of buisness i have never lost a customer because they were unhappy with my work, and with over 100 accounts i'm pretty proud of that, but if you want to multch everything, everyday then have at it!!!!

Old 02-27-2010, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasontimm View Post
IF a customer wants thier lawn bagged, you bag it, if the lawn get really long and you want it to look great when your done you bag it! all my lawn look great when i'm done, in 9 years of buisness i have never lost a customer because they were unhappy with my work, and with over 100 accounts i'm pretty proud of that, but if you want to multch everything, everyday then have at it!!!!
If the customer can not see any difference in the finished product and yet turf quality steadily improves because you are leaving the clippings they do not care that you mulched, in fact they come to prefer it. I bagged for twenty two years before I wised up. I converted 100% of my accounts to mulching and have not lost one.