Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-27-2010, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

We mow weekly, are lawns never need bagged.

2013 haulmark 18' trailer
2013 John Deere 52' walkbehind
2012 Gator with skid sprayer
2010 Turfco T-3000
2008 JD 997
2006 JD 647a
2004 JD 757 w/ 3 bag & Iron MCS
2002 JD 757 w/ 2 bag MCS
2002 JD 757
Stihl, Echo, Tanka 2 strokes
Big Tex trailers
Tons of other equipment
Old 02-27-2010, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishboy View Post
If the customer can not see any difference in the finished product and yet turf quality steadily improves because you are leaving the clippings they do not care that you mulched, in fact they come to prefer it. I bagged for twenty two years before I wised up. I converted 100% of my accounts to mulching and have not lost one.
yes if they don't care by all means mulch the lawn. but i wouldn't turn away business because the client wants there lawn bagged each and every time.

i personally side discharge most of my accounts. had a problem with a mulch kit last season and i will never go back to mulching. to many variables.

mulching works BEST when you only cut x amount off, when it's dry, etc.

discharging and bagging can be done wet or dry. so like someone said, no waiting for the morning dew to burn off.

another reason i don't mulch is because i do bag some accounts and i'm not gonna spend the money to have one mower set up with a mulch kit and another set up to bag. i have one 52" grandstand and a 36" metro. i'm not gonna have 2 of one of those machines so i can mulch most and bag the few that want it bagged. the 36" metro does have a mulch kit on it during the summer season but it's primary use is backyards i can't get the 52" in.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCS View Post
i mow weekly as well but in the spring and sometimes in the summer with the rain the growth is more than what you can do with side discharging or mulching.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCS View Post
maybe you should stop sufficating the roots by multching everyweek you will have better growth, i get 1 to 1.5 inches per week growth around here.....but then again i dont multch

Old 02-27-2010, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This is what I have in my truck and works real well. probably has save me 1,000 dollars in the last 3 years in time. I did get the more expensive model. I bought it for just what you are needing. the extra benny is unloading mulch with wheelborrows under the tail gate, this is really fast!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.comfortchannel.com/level....FSIdawodv1r7cw
Old 02-27-2010, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg City Lawns View Post
here our trash service is waste management they sell these green bags that you can put leaves or grass in because they will not pick up a normal black trash bag with that type of stuff in them most people buy their own and when they are scheduled for service that day they will just leave them out by the door step and when im done ill sit them out by their garage or take them down by the street depending on when they get their trash picked up sometimes people forget to do that so i always have a roll in the truck if that happens ill just charge them a $1 a bag most yards i only bag the front yards (because "thats the only part of the yard everyone sees" and not too many people want to pay for bagging the whole yard) so saying that i will get 2 bags a mowing in the spring and and 1 bag in the dog days of summer off the front yards this is very convenient and no mess or a dumping fee at the dump
Yep, this is what I do too....We dont have the green bag thing here though, get a roll of the big lawn garbage bags, fill em up and leave em by the street.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasontimm View Post
maybe you should stop sufficating the roots by multching everyweek you will have better growth, i get 1 to 1.5 inches per week growth around here.....but then again i dont mulch
You should read this article in the link below and enlighten you AND your customers about mulching. I also hope you are charging extra for bagging the grass clippings and their removal. Around here that's a extra service and so there's a extra charge.

http://cecalaveras.ucdavis.edu/grass.htm
Old 02-27-2010, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdk1959 View Post
You should read this article in the link below and enlighten you AND your customers about mulching. I also hope you are charging extra for bagging the grass clippings and their removal. Around here that's a extra service and so there's a extra charge.

http://cecalaveras.ucdavis.edu/grass.htm
Dont worry, i do, and i do appreciate your concern. i would consider multching if i only had 30 or so customers to worry about, which in turn would give me the chance to be mowing it every three to four days to keep up with the limited growth needed to multch, but that isnt the case, the majority of my customers budget for weekly mowing not twice a week. again for the third TIME, multching is fine, but for my area, and my buisness it does not work out, if you can do it, more power to you, but feel free to not shove it down everyone's throat. there is a guy in a near-by town that multches everything, in the past year i got five of his 30 customers, why? because they were sick of paying him to mow every 3-4 days. I do what the customer wants.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasontimm View Post
maybe you should stop sufficating the roots by multching everyweek you will have better growth, i get 1 to 1.5 inches per week growth around here.....but then again i dont multch
"sufficating the roots" What the heck are you talking about? Show me a study that says bagging is better for the turf and I will show you five that say it isn't. I get 1.5" to 2.5" a week and I mulch all year long. If you can not deal with that growth your equipment /or you and your equipment are lacking. I take lawns away from guys who bag because my lawns look better week in and week out. I might bag a lawn the first time I do it, they see what I do and then that lawn never sees a bag again.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Member

I wish I had the optiona to SD or mulch....But im afraid if I did either of those I'd have to cancel my membership to LawnSite, due to the fact that I'd no longer be a landscaper.....Everyone where I live wants it bagged and hauled....Hence the dump truck.

I have a place where I Dump for free, so it's not so bad...collection system is expensive, but bagging lawns is figured into my cost. In this situation, you can emphasize the importance of your fertilizing programs to your customers because you bag.....make a few extra $$