Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-27-2010, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishboy View Post
"sufficating the roots" What the heck are you talking about? Show me a study that says bagging is better for the turf and I will show you five that say it isn't. I get 1.5" to 2.5" a week and I mulch all year long. If you can not deal with that growth your equipment /or you and your equipment are lacking. I take lawns away from guys who bag because my lawns look better week in and week out. I might bag a lawn the first time I do it, they see what I do and then that lawn never sees a bag again.
Well.....good for you, your the man!!!!

Old 02-27-2010, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasontimm View Post
maybe you should stop sufficating the roots by multching everyweek you will have better growth, i get 1 to 1.5 inches per week growth around here.....but then again i dont multch

I don't mulch. My growth is fine, just because a lawn has exponential growth does not mean its healthy. My lawns are fertilized properly and my customers love our work. I've been in business since '98, the only lawns we that we have bagged in the past were lawns treated by True Green. If need be in the Spring, we will double cut but that's rare. If I was suffocating the roots, then there would be a thatch problem. I haven't thatched any regular mow customers lawns in years.

Hey if bagging works for you, then so be it. I was stating what works for us. You assume too much.

2013 haulmark 18' trailer
2013 John Deere 52' walkbehind
2012 Gator with skid sprayer
2010 Turfco T-3000
2008 JD 997
2006 JD 647a
2004 JD 757 w/ 3 bag & Iron MCS
2002 JD 757 w/ 2 bag MCS
2002 JD 757
Stihl, Echo, Tanka 2 strokes
Big Tex trailers
Tons of other equipment
Old 02-27-2010, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

To bag or not to bag? It all depends but I won't go there. When we do have to bag we like leaves best. Makes good compost (along with a little bark mixed in). Burn a few to get some ashes. Mix it all together in the right amounts and put it into the garden.

We had fresh tomatoes every day from spring to fall last year and put 150 lbs of potatoes into the freezer. Grew hot peppers til frost, okra 7 ft tall, hybrid and heirloom squash, cucumbers (for pickling and frying), zuchini, and truck loads of mustard greens. Rabbits got the bell peppers, corn had problems. Adding pole beans and butter beans this year.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:24 AM
LawnSite Member

most people here want their lawn bagged. and i have had some that only want a walker to cut their lawn.
i think most run at least one walker here.
in town you have a spot out front on the road/sidewalk where they want you to dump and you just dump there. the town comes pick it up as long as they pay for trash pickup. ( leaves and sticks go there as well. )
in the country they usually tell you to dump near the woods or something like that.
Old 02-28-2010, 04:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobe View Post
most people here want their lawn bagged. and i have had some that only want a walker to cut their lawn.
i think most run at least one walker here.
in town you have a spot out front on the road/sidewalk where they want you to dump and you just dump there. the town comes pick it up as long as they pay for trash pickup. ( leaves and sticks go there as well. )
in the country they usually tell you to dump near the woods or something like that.
thats odd ive never had someone point at a mower and say "hey i want that thing to mow my yard it looks like it does a great job" haha would be cool if that happend though walkers are pretty interesting machines if i had a use for one id definitely look into one other than that im surprised not many other people do what i do with the grass clippings
Old 02-28-2010, 08:00 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain man View Post
To bag or not to bag? It all depends but I won't go there. When we do have to bag we like leaves best. Makes good compost (along with a little bark mixed in). Burn a few to get some ashes. Mix it all together in the right amounts and put it into the garden.

We had fresh tomatoes every day from spring to fall last year and put 150 lbs of potatoes into the freezer. Grew hot peppers til frost, okra 7 ft tall, hybrid and heirloom squash, cucumbers (for pickling and frying), zuchini, and truck loads of mustard greens. Rabbits got the bell peppers, corn had problems. Adding pole beans and butter beans this year.
You just made me huuuunnngggrryy
Old 02-28-2010, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepatsfan View Post
This is one of the dumbest comments on lawn site. What do you run, an encore and a craftsman? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAGood luck buddy.
3 encores, and 2 craftsmans actually, im pretty serious over here.
2010 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2009 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
Hurricane blower video Here
Old 02-28-2010, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Probably why he drives the trucks he drives. I would take it from someone with two old shlt box dodge pickups. Probably has a real nice business.
lets see your operation sport. post a few pics and show why your better then everyone else.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I only bag grass on a case by case basis as needed. One green barrel is usually all I need in a day, but I carry a smaller trash can in that with reused 45 gallon heavy duty bags in case that isn't enough. In the spring when I bag all my accounts for the first cut or 2 and in the fall when I'm bagging more due to leaves I run my dump trailer and just dump it up front. Clippings go to my compost pile and are used in the veggie garden after they're finished composting (about 1.5 years).
Old 02-28-2010, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I understand that but while you are wading through the posts look back and see what goldpro has posted throughout. I started reading it and just wanted to let him know what I thought. I am done now. Sorry for clogging up the thread
all i said was bagging is for noobs, which it is, if your a noob im sorry dont get upset.

edit: and that walkers were garbage which they are, i only speak the truth.