Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-26-2010, 02:07 PM
derekarbeiter's Avatar
derekarbeiter derekarbeiter is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Southern Illinois
Posts: 233
Bad Boy v. Hustler

Okay guys i really need your advice. I'm looking at both a Hustler Super Z with the 31HP Kawi and 52" deck or a Bad Boy Lightning with a similar configuration. Advice please.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-26-2010, 02:46 PM
Accu-cut Lawn Care's Avatar
Accu-cut Lawn Care Accu-cut Lawn Care is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 1,206
52" deck= a lot of weedeating. Get a 60" hustler... Something like 8" of trim... and fits any place a 52 will for the most part.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-26-2010, 04:05 PM
djagusch djagusch is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: MN
Posts: 3,478
I would lead you to look at the hydro system pump and wheel motor size. Compare those and that should lead you in the right direction. Also compare standard features (ROPS, warranty, etc), why would a company sell without these?

But the main thing is demo both and see what cuts well for you. If it doesn't cut well then it won't be a good mower no matter what right?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-26-2010, 05:07 PM
JimQ's Avatar
JimQ JimQ is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Beatrice, NE
Posts: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by djagusch View Post
...Also compare standard features (ROPS, warranty, etc), why would a company sell without these?...
Good advise.

It got me thinking. I was looking at their site and was surprised to see how much you have to pay for things that are standard on most other commercial machines.

Flat-Free caster tires - $179.90
ROPS - $495.00
Foot Pedal Kit - $373.14 ($179 factory option) - for those who like to have one

That really adds up.

The whole optional ROPS thing got me thinking further...

Another thing about BadBoy that surprises Is their decision not to comply with the voluntary ANSI safety standards that the rest of the industry has adopted. To my knowledge, Dixie Chopper is the only other OEM that doesn't comply.

I'm a little bit jealous. Their lack of compliance allows them to sell OCDC's like the ACS. I like the ACS but ANSI won't let an OEM get away with something like that.

They must not have had a bad safety / injury / roll-over related lawsuit yet. I'm sure when they do, they'll wish they had a safety certification to stand behind.

Q
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-26-2010, 09:34 PM
dtc0207 dtc0207 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: kenansville nc
Posts: 222
just remember you get what you pay for
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-26-2010, 09:50 PM
Landscraper1's Avatar
Landscraper1 Landscraper1 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Southeastern Ma.
Posts: 745
As JimQ already knows, I am a big fan of Hustler mowers. But, I would never buy the 52" Super Z for the same reasons as Accu-cut, no trimming capacity on the left side of deck. Do as he said, go up to a 60" or if you definitely want a smaller deck. go with a 54"Z4. It's not in the same class but, has some trimming capacity.
I can't say much about the Bad Boy. No one in my area even sells them.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-27-2010, 11:00 AM
MOHUSTLER's Avatar
MOHUSTLER MOHUSTLER is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Missouri
Posts: 1,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimQ View Post
Good advise.

It got me thinking. I was looking at their site and was surprised to see how much you have to pay for things that are standard on most other commercial machines.

Flat-Free caster tires - $179.90
ROPS - $495.00
Foot Pedal Kit - $373.14 ($179 factory option) - for those who like to have one

That really adds up.

The whole optional ROPS thing got me thinking further...

Another thing about BadBoy that surprises Is their decision not to comply with the voluntary ANSI safety standards that the rest of the industry has adopted. To my knowledge, Dixie Chopper is the only other OEM that doesn't comply.

I'm a little bit jealous. Their lack of compliance allows them to sell OCDC's like the ACS. I like the ACS but ANSI won't let an OEM get away with something like that.

They must not have had a bad safety / injury / roll-over related lawsuit yet. I'm sure when they do, they'll wish they had a safety certification to stand behind.

Q

Your exactly right, when one of these companies gets nailed with a rollover or something else, they will comply in a hard way

You all know what happend with toro/exmark. OUCH!!
__________________
Dealer for :
Hustler
Scag
Wright
Snapper
Snapper pro
Redmax
Snow ex
Blizzard plows
Boss plows
And fix all the rest...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-28-2010, 12:06 AM
Thunderhead's Avatar
Thunderhead Thunderhead is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 391
Just get the Hustler...
__________________
'09 Hustler Super Z 60" 31 hp Kawasaki, Echo SRM-210 trimmer, Redmax HBZ 2601 blower, '98 Massey Ferguson 231 utility tractor, 5' Bush Hog 285 rotary cutter, 5.5' King Kutter box blade, 6.5' United disc harrow, United middle buster, Dearborn single row cultivator, single row HD row hippers, Bark Buster pto log splitter, log skidding "tongs", 6' Fred Cain landscape rake, LMC boom pole, drawbar, '09 Honda Foreman 500 4x4 FPE, '04 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-28-2010, 12:21 AM
torotorotoro's Avatar
torotorotoro torotorotoro is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: omaha, nebraska
Posts: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOHUSTLER View Post
Your exactly right, when one of these companies gets nailed with a rollover or something else, they will comply in a hard way

You all know what happend with toro/exmark. OUCH!!
i do not know what happened to toro and rops . let me know thanks
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-01-2010, 09:39 AM
MOHUSTLER's Avatar
MOHUSTLER MOHUSTLER is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Missouri
Posts: 1,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by torotorotoro View Post
i do not know what happened to toro and rops . let me know thanks
It is the reason we all have rops now. It was a few years ago, A 13 year old girl was killed on one mowing a steep hill. I guess they got a good laywer, and nailed toro pretty hard.
__________________
Dealer for :
Hustler
Scag
Wright
Snapper
Snapper pro
Redmax
Snow ex
Blizzard plows
Boss plows
And fix all the rest...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:49 AM.

Page generated in 0.09591 seconds with 7 queries