Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-28-2010, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I received a letter from a large apartment community, stating that all bidders meet at 10am on Monday to walk through property. I won't be there. It is very unprofessional and uncomfortable in the to be there with a bunch of your competition. Not only that but, with others around, I can't really put my salesman hat on. I am pretty good at landing jobs, when I am talking one on one with people. I have a good sized company here in the area and I'm sure my competition would love to see how I work. I won't give them the chance.
Grassman, you already made that step, so what I just wrote, has no bearing on your question. Just had to get that out there. As far as that your bid goes, I would not go too low. You have to ask yourself. Do I want this job just to have work or do I want it to make money? Sure be competitive. I'm not saying to be greedy.
The way I look at it, You already have an advantage over the others. You look more professional and you had some one on one time with the board members. If these people on going just on price then, you'll have a hard time against 7 other bidders who look like bums. The last guy they had, was fired for doing a lousy job. He was probably the low bidder, at the time. Do you think that, they are looking at making the same mistake, twice.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Could it be that they just dont want or have the time to walk the property ten times.

If i were in their shoes I would have arranged it the same way.

Then when it comes to presentation time it would be one on one.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-28-2010, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenery View Post
Could it be that they just dont want or have the time to walk the property ten times.

Posted via Mobile Device
There won't be a presentation time. Remember first, they put an ad in the paper. 2nd, they have a walkthrough with all landscapers at one time. 3rd, there is a deadline date for that bid. 4th, They sit down with all the bids and vote on who gets it, period. Quick and easy for them. That's how much time they are willing to invest.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenery View Post

Posted via Mobile Device

They dont have to walk it 10 times. Put a small layout of the property on paper and hand it out to each company that wants a bid along with all the services they want. Line up different times and days the companies can be there.

Personally I would feel a little awkward with 6 or 7 other owners walking the property with me.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

it was wierd, but i asked during my private meeting if i could do an inperson delivery of my bid therefore i can put on my sales game face. most are going to just email back the bid, as this is the way were given the bid sheet and they asked eveyone to do so, but i am proactive.

i am in it to make money, i never bid too low, but i do know my efficiency is greater so i will take that into consideration when pricing is all. i aint a lowballer, i get lowballed!

i do think they are not taking the lowest bidder, that is not the concern, quailty is! the last guy got the property by default from the developer, and they just stuck with him blindly after wards for a few years, he is not known to be the lowest either. i now do most of the HOA projects for this said develper now, and i am not cheaper, just better. there is a bit more info for you all. oh, and most living here are retired.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Relationships go a long way in this business...at least in my experiences. I bid on a HOA one year and met with them, had a really good meet but they ended up going with a lower bidder. The next year they called back and signed with me. Said they wanted to go with me all along because of the rapport we had and the way I presented myself but had to satisfy some budget issues and other homeowners. But the guy did a bum job and now here I am. That was three years ago. So whether you get it or not, you plant a good seed and it will come back to you.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i have had this happen a few times b4 too,
Old 03-01-2010, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
it was wierd, but i asked during my private meeting if i could do an inperson delivery of my bid therefore i can put on my sales game face. most are going to just email back the bid, as this is the way were given the bid sheet and they asked eveyone to do so, but i am proactive.

i am in it to make money, i never bid too low, but i do know my efficiency is greater so i will take that into consideration when pricing is all. i aint a lowballer, i get lowballed!

i do think they are not taking the lowest bidder, that is not the concern, quailty is! the last guy got the property by default from the developer, and they just stuck with him blindly after wards for a few years, he is not known to be the lowest either. i now do most of the HOA projects for this said develper now, and i am not cheaper, just better. there is a bit more info for you all. oh, and most living here are retired.
You seem to know what your doing. Good Luck.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey all...Grassmans dad here, owner of the company.
It is not uncommon for "trades" work to have multiple possible contractors show up for a pre-bid tour. This may not apply to mowing and such as much, but it definitely apllies in the commercial building industry.
I do admit it could be a bit intimidating, but if you really know your stuff, it also gives you the advantage to shine above the others that don't.
This is like Grassman said, more of a pride thing than a need thing. I have no doubt if we get the job that it will look much better than it has the past 5 years or so.
Good luck, my son!!

If you don't like my opinion...go around back for another view.