Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-20-2000, 05:40 PM
Lawnsite Addict

First I need a good camera with a date feature. I take abot 600 - 1000 pictures a year. I do a lot of work that might need documentation, clairity is number 1. Durability, must not be cheaply made, construction sites are pretty dusty. Speed don't want to wait a half hour to down load pictures to a zip disk. Cost, looking to spend about $500-800.<p>----------<br>paul<br>
Old 02-20-2000, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been using a Sony Mavica on a current project. We went out and shot 130 pics in one morning. It uses regular floppy disks in the camera. Each will hold 11-13 photos. Put the disk in the computer and you're ready to work, print or whatever. It saves in a JPEG format. To transfer to a zip disk is fast because you're using the power of your computer. The only thing that slows down the transfer process is renaming the files. Mavica assigns the same set of file number sequences on each disk. Don't know if it can be programed otherwise. I like that it uses such a common storage method. Nothing to plug into the computer or lose. As long as you have a stack of floppies, you can shoot more photos. I use Windows Explorer to preview the photos and transfer to zip that way I don't keep the bad shots.<br>The resolution is good. I've used them in my design software and they printed out very nice looking photos. I don't know about the date feature since I try to keep that off of my shots. The mid to upper priced Mavicas have zoom and are in your $$ range.<p>----------<br>Lanelle<br>
Old 02-21-2000, 06:58 AM
LawnSite Member

I have a Sony MVC-FD91 and it is on the high end of the sony cameras. What I like about it is the zoom lens,E-mail mode and Auto focus and you can record moveing images. And I use the voice setting to make notes to myself when on a project. And each pic has time and date. The cost two years ago was $1,000 I think they have come down some.<p>Royce
Old 02-21-2000, 11:29 AM

Hello:<p> I've had a Sony Mavica for over a year & a half. It's the only one to buy because of the floppy disk.<p> No special programs & no darn cables to plug & unplug!<p> I just wish I could get rid of it & get the new one I think its MVC-FD91 but not sure.<p> Anybody interested in a used one, in excellent shape. E-mail me at dj5a@aol.com<br><p>----------<br>GrassMaster - Have a nice day!!!!! Home: http://www.lawnservicing.com<br>Visit my browser Start Up Page http://www.lawnservicing.com/startup/
Old 02-21-2000, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been using a Kodak DC260 for a year and have been very pleased, but how well it can slide into your system will depend on what hardware you have. Get a good resolution - I recommend at least 1.5 megapixels (photo quality for 3&quot;x5&quot; photos) - The Kodak can take shots at three resolution levels, has digital and optical zoom. You need a compactflash card to store the images (much more room than a floppy), but this is where you're particular hardware comes into play. I use it with a laptop that has two PCMCIA type II slots - I just put the flash card into a PCMCIA adapter and slide it into the side of the laptop (it takes about 5 seconds). The beauty of it is once it's in my laptop, the laptop treats it like a separate RAM drive - i.e., all photos are immediately available. The newest model (a DC290, I think) also has USB, making hookup to a desktop unit just as fast. A 10MB card will take 40 pictures in low res, 18 in high res. You can have the camera auto date stamp, add audio notes to each shot, review an enlarged pictures on the camera's screen. I bought mine for $700. <p><br>As I'm writing this I'm tinkering with the camera - to get the opticcal zoom, the lens has a motor that drives it in and out. It uses this motor at startup, too. If you're always in dusty sites, I would think some would eventually get caught between the cylinders around the lens and gum it up. If your shots are more for documentation than for marketing, I guess I'd look for one with a stationary (point-and-shoot) type lens. You should be able to pick one up pretty cheaply, I would think ($400-600).