Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-28-2010, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Question about the 4WD on the 455D

I have the 455D with 4 wheel drive and for the most part never really paid attention to the moving wheels. Now that I am running it in the snow, it appears to be powered by the 2 front wheels. How is the TORO 4WD system supposed to work on this machine? I noticed only one wheel spinning last night (left front) and when I hit the left brake, the right front took over spinning, all the while the rear wheels were motionless. I'm familiar with the workings of hydraulic pump systems due to my work, so if I can be pointed in the right direction, I might be able to get through this. Thanks. BTW, the hydraulic fluid reservoir is full.

John
Old 03-01-2010, 05:09 PM
Sponsor

John;
When in low range, the pump flow goes through the front transaxle motor and then on to the rear motor, which drives the mechanical rear axle.
So two items to look at: First is that it is in low gear (there is no assist in high gear) and second would be the 4wd valve is being energized when in low range. The valve is located mid ship on theright side (has a little red button on it). It could be electrical.
There is an electrical schematic in the Owners Manual or Parts Book. You should be able to trace out the circuit using it.

Eric Baumeister
The Toro Company
Old 03-03-2010, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Eric,

Thanks for the prompt reply. It is in low range. I have only ever had it in high range on one occasion, to go a half mile down the road and back to cut a field. I will look for the red button and I have a pdf file that includes the electrical diagrams for the 455D.

After thinking about things, I think it has been going in and out of 4WD since I have owned it (5 years). There have been times that when cutting my back field, I would get stuck in just the slightest wet grass (I have high clay content ground) and other times I would march through 1" of standing water making minor ruts and black marks from "soil squish."

I understand what you said about the rear being fed after going through the front drive wheels, but is the 455D supposed to have all 4 wheels turning or is it like most cars where one or the other front and one or the other rear gets the power depending of loss of traction? Thanks.

John
Old 03-04-2010, 09:41 AM
Sponsor

John;
The only reason I can think of for "intermittent" 4wd operation would be electrical. It could be as simple as a transaxle switch adjustment.

As far as the actual 4wd operation, it works similar to on-road vehicles. Generally only one front wheel will drive along with one rear. If it were physical "4 wheel" drive, you would have a tough time turning and it would tear up the grass every time. Obviously, we can't have a mower damaging grass that it's supposed to mow!

Eric Baumeister
The Toro Company
Old 03-05-2010, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Member

I understand about not having live axel 4WD because of the turning problems that go along with it. I just wasn't sure if the 455D has some type of posi-traction unit (GM term) where both wheels would drive and then a limited slip clutch unit would allow for the two different axel speeds in a turn.

I think the area to look at is the high speed switch the same as the seat switch gave me my prior problem. Although I only used high range on one occassion, several times a season for 5 years I would move the range lever into neutral so I could pull the unit out of soft ground and this going in and out of range might be the reason for my sporadic 4WD, due to a malfunctioning switch. I will check out the wiring diagram for the circuit and report back. Thanks
Old 10-12-2013, 12:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Knowing this is an old thread, I'll try anyway. I know my 4 wheel drive solenoid is non functioning (froze up.) Is there a way I can temporarily bypass it to make sure that everything else is functioning. I never use high range so that isn't an issue, but out of curiosity, why is that an issue? Toro spent a lot of money to block it out.