Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-01-2010, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Another one... Case CTL vs. CAT CTL

Hey all, just looking for some input from someone who has run Cat CTLs and Case CTLs. I was down at my local Cat dealer the other day looking at some used 257Bs; sweet machines but I wasn't too impressed with the sales rep or anyone else who worked there. Being that I'm a younger guy, they kind of treated me like an idiot that's not worthy of their time. I was pretty set on a Cat 257B but those sales reps have got me wondering if I should be giving them any business. I talked with one of the local Case dealers and the guy I talked to seemed very friendly and knowledgeable but I don't know much about their equipment.

I am most familiar with Bobcat skid steers but I would eventually like to get into larger equipment and I figure why start working with a Bobcat dealer when I might have to switch to someone else down the road anyways. One thing I like a lot is the hand controls on the Bobcats and I don't even know if Case uses those or not. The three main dealers in this area are CAT, Bobcat and Case, so other brands aren't really an option. I plan to stop by the Case dealer again and try out some of their equipment, but I figured you guys who are a little less biased may have some valid opinions too.

I plan to use the machine mostly for hardscapes, snow removal, and whatever else comes our way to keep it busy. We will be hauling it with a 3/4 ton so I can't get into machines much over 9k.

So my questions are... How do the Cat 257Bs do compared to a similar sized Case CTLs?

How does other Case equipment compare to other brands (Loaders, Excavators, etc.)?

How is Case's customer service?

Does Case use cummins engines for the CTLs or are those days over?

Any other input is appreciated as long as there's something to back up why one machine/ brand is better than the other.

Thanks in advance for the help - Sam

SEMPER FI
Old 03-01-2010, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm totally unbiased.

You can get a Case with the 'Cat' controls. Who is your dealer over there? St Joes? I have the 440S3 with the VTS which may be too heavy, around 10,000ish pounds. Not sure how the 420CT would compare with the 440CT but if you want to plow I wouldn't recommend a CT. The two speed is big for plowing and if you can go with a Series 3.

Case equipment has nothing to be ashamed about, excavator, wheel loaders and TLB's can hang with anyone else. The service depends with your dealer but the service guys here are awesome. Since the 400 series came out they have been Iveco motors and have been good, no complaints.

A total 'other' option is the Takeuchi 130 size but that wouldn't be good for plowing, good for hardscaping though(lots of lift).
Old 03-01-2010, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuvecorp View Post
I'm totally unbiased.

You can get a Case with the 'Cat' controls. Who is your dealer over there? St Joes? I have the 440S3 with the VTS which may be too heavy, around 10,000ish pounds. Not sure how the 420CT would compare with the 440CT but if you want to plow I wouldn't recommend a CT. The two speed is big for plowing and if you can go with a Series 3.

Case equipment has nothing to be ashamed about, excavator, wheel loaders and TLB's can hang with anyone else. The service depends with your dealer but the service guys here are awesome. Since the 400 series came out they have been Iveco motors and have been good, no complaints.

A total 'other' option is the Takeuchi 130 size but that wouldn't be good for plowing, good for hardscaping though(lots of lift).

haha is that even possible? Just teasing man, We use T250s, and s300s and do primarily hardscapes. I'm not really loyal to any brand that is just the equipment that we have. Would love to try that vts set-up you have.

Also a link of a machine in my town, have a look.....

http://www.machinerytrader.com/listi...x?OHID=6751293

what do you think of that steve?
Old 03-01-2010, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

To be honest , you just should of searched this one, because everyone will have a different opinion. And this is going to turn into big brand fight...

A.E.L

Land Clearing, Grinding services, Mulch Production, Excavating, Grading

Check out our new YouTube account!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWI...YEpKMXUcrB1jBw
Old 03-01-2010, 01:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_S_S View Post
To be honest , you just should of searched this one, because everyone will have a different opinion. And this is going to turn into big brand fight...
Yeah it probably will... but I'm actually interested in this one.

Yes, St Joseph's is the dealer around here, we talked with one of their guys for a good 2 hours at the MNLA expo about a month ago. I had no interest in them until the CAT guys treated me like a 12 year old, and I came to the realization that Bobcat might not be able to offer all the equipment I might need/ want in the future.

I also hear a lot of guys saying it's bad to use the CTLs for snow removal but I haven't really heard why that is? I don't have much experience with CTLs but I always hear great things about them for summer work.

SEMPER FI
Old 03-01-2010, 03:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know how to explain plowing with a CTL, it can be done but not at any production level. I got a snow pusher from St Joes but that's all I've done with them, they were decent on the deal though.

Titan has some newer skids(S3's) with some good prices, don't know if they were demos? I think they had some 420's and get a VTS to run for the summer and switch back to wheels and have the two speed for plowing.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Member

I have a Cat 289c CTL...good machine however those tracks are no good on ice/snow on grades for example...they apparently make a " winter track"
Old 03-01-2010, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

your comparing a 257 which is an MTL to a Case CTL

the cat mtl will definitely outplow the case ctl. the suspension and track type make a huge difference.

there was a good review on plowsite of a guy that runs polartreads on his Case machines and swears by them.

link to some of his pics and on the following page he posts his thoughts on the tracks:
http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=77856&page=15

and here are some pics of his:

Old 03-01-2010, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

He has a fleet
Old 03-01-2010, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=stuvecorp;3442223]I don't know how to explain plowing with a CTL, it can be done but not at any production level.

My experience with my Takkie TL 120 disproves the above. I was very effective using the stock track (bar configuration), but even more with the McLaren Next Generation tread design...all I can say it's an impressive snow machine even on the hard pack snow/ice. The only thing I'd like is more ground speed.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/264...51607577cPsrxb

Last edited by swanny; 03-01-2010 at 05:12 PM.