Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-01-2010, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been told that the Case ctl have the same U/C as the New Hollands. If this is true I would stay away. Just from my experience with them , and from what others have told me. Not saying Case is a bad machine, just the U/C are.

From your description of work, I would say that a Cat or Asv machine might be better suited.

Good luck and let us know what you end up getting.

A.E.L

Land Clearing, Grinding services, Mulch Production, Excavating, Grading

Check out our new YouTube account!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWI...YEpKMXUcrB1jBw
Old 03-01-2010, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Plowing snow in Maryland is quite different than most parts of the country where the ground is frozen. Does the ground freeze in Maryland? Any rubber track machine with normal tracks is useless on ice, or plow "glaze". Have yet to hear otherwise or experience for myself
Old 03-01-2010, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_S_S View Post
I have been told that the Case ctl have the same U/C as the New Hollands. If this is true I would stay away. Just from my experience with them , and from what others have told me. Not saying Case is a bad machine, just the U/C are.

From your description of work, I would say that a Cat or Asv machine might be better suited.

Good luck and let us know what you end up getting.

I have not seen any issues with the CASE undercarriage, triple flange rollers, Rexroth drives, same as the others. There is only so many ways to skin a CTL. There have been some issues with the track mounting on the NH machines. I have been reading about this on HEF. This is due to the NH being lighter built than the CASE machines. CASE does not have this issue.

If your comparing CAT CTL to CASE CTL. The CASE will be much more powerfull. Depending on what you want out of a machine that may or may not be important. IF your comparing an MTL to a CASE CTL thats a little different. Again CASE much more powerful across the board. If you NEED the advantages that the MTL undercarriage brings than the CAT is obviously your answer. Just remember that the MTL undercarriage has its own set of expensive issues. As far as cab comfort, they are sixes. Dealer support is a regional thing and only you will know who will treat you better.

The MTL in snow is likely better than even a Polar treaded CTL and without switching treads. In abusive conditions the CTL will run much much cheaper than will the MTL. All comes down to what you want out of your machine.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisfarmer View Post
Plowing snow in Maryland is quite different than most parts of the country where the ground is frozen. Does the ground freeze in Maryland?
Si Senior...da ground freezes in MD...our footings in this part (central) must be 30" down...some parts in Western MD freeze just as bad as New England States. Certainly not all snow in MD falls on frozen ground though, but I have plowed snow on unfrozen ground, frozen ground, ice, asphalt, concrete and gravel with a CTL. Just keep it out of high range when starting out.

Quote:
Any rubber track machine with normal tracks is useless on ice, or plow "glaze". Have yet to hear otherwise or experience for myself
I can plow snow on your plow 'glaze' with my CTL and Next Gen tracks...it certainly isn't incredible on glaze, but it aint 'useless'. I've plowed quite a bit with ASV tracks and the Next Gen tracks are very comparable, imo.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds good, I still dont see how you freeze like northern states But, I'll hear you out. My experience has been rubber on frozen glaze or ice just doesn't work, I should not say useless, to strong a term for sure. Show us some pics
Old 03-01-2010, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm in central MD...we don't freeze here like you do, but Western MD does - they just broke their record for snow fall...a whopping 266" or so I heard. I posted a link to a cell phone pic in my first post on this thread....a long day of plowing and I made enough money to buy the Next Gen tracks. I don't see how people can call that unproductive.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisfarmer View Post
Plowing snow in Maryland is quite different than most parts of the country where the ground is frozen. Does the ground freeze in Maryland? Any rubber track machine with normal tracks is useless on ice, or plow "glaze". Have yet to hear otherwise or experience for myself
We get that 'glaze' a lot and it makes it hard to start plowing and as the resistance or snow pile builds up you stall out. I would rather put the money in the bank than buy extra winter tracks. A CTL will never match a regular skid in production, the ASV(MTL's) do a lot better. ASV has some higher two speed but the CTL can't match the speed of a regular skid with two speed.

Plowing with a CTL is like putting a square peg in a round hole, it can be done but why?
Old 03-01-2010, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny View Post
I'm in central MD...we don't freeze here like you do, but Western MD does - they just broke their record for snow fall...a whopping 266" or so I heard. I posted a link to a cell phone pic in my first post on this thread....a long day of plowing and I made enough money to buy the Next Gen tracks. I don't see how people can call that unproductive.
yikes, that's a lot of snow. Where the hell does it all get pushed to?

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 03-01-2010, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

[QUOTE=swanny;3442942]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuvecorp View Post
I don't know how to explain plowing with a CTL, it can be done but not at any production level.

My experience with my Takkie TL 120 disproves the above. I was very effective using the stock track (bar configuration), but even more with the McLaren Next Generation tread design...all I can say it's an impressive snow machine even on the hard pack snow/ice. The only thing I'd like is more ground speed.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/264...51607577cPsrxb
The ASV guys would say that their machines can go faster because they don't have steel cabling which gets hot and causes the tracks to come apart. I know that after running around in high gear for a while that the treads on my VTS get warm and even smell warm. Probably goes faster than it should apparently.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Someone in the Twin Cities is taking big truck tires and putting them on skids, looks goofy but is supposed to give good traction and a little more top speed. It was on Craigslist, will have to look for it.