Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-01-2010, 04:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Need some help from others in lawn care and landscaping

I been in lawn care and lanscaping for 8 years full-time I have some questions need some help. I cut 150 lawns (100 weekly 50 Bi-week). I have one full-time guy with me for the past 2 years but he is not happy. we work avg of 50 hrs during peak season he is on the books gets paid 13 dollars a hour plus overtime (way to much but its keeping him with me cause he cant get that kind of money any where else starting out) hear is my problem. I have tried getting new workers but they do not last long and we can work faster with out them. The guy with me now will prob be leaving after this season. im wondering what do the rest of you guys do to keep guys coming back year after year? my helper likes his job but he has said that he can not make it thru the winter with just unemployment. He is a hard worker very hard worker and it seems like any good hard work he wants 40 hours a week year round and benifits. So how do you guys keep good workers? I have more then enough work for 2 crews but its hard enough to keep guys to work and im out running the crew now. I allways have had dreams of getting BIG!! but sometimes i think i was happier and made more money solo. Please HELP and or tell me how you operate solo, runing crews, or are you out with the crew working as well??
Old 03-01-2010, 07:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerg21 View Post
we work avg of 50 hrs during peak season he is on the books gets paid 13 dollars a hour plus overtime (way to much but its keeping him with me cause he cant get that kind of money any where else starting out)
Pay the guy more money. Don't be a cheap skate.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerg21 View Post
I cut 150 lawns (100 weekly 50 Bi-week).

So you + 1 more guy averages 125 yards per week + extra services like trimming hedges etc..???

If you have invested a lot of time into him and he does great work.... Why not bump him up to $15 per hour and tell him to budget his money better so he has some to go with the unemployment during the winter? It will cost you more to replace him if you lose him.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Member

ya pay $15 an hour good workers are hard to find
Old 03-01-2010, 08:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Either increase his pay so its not as hard on him or look into offering additional services for the winter months to keep him employed all year long... 1 good, hard working employee that is loyal to you is worth its weight in gold...
Old 03-01-2010, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would keep hiring. This guy may be the reason new people leave. I would ask any one that leaves directly if he has said or done anything to cause them to leave. Any way I would keep hiring. It is your business not his, but he seems to be running you. He has made himself so valuable you cant live with out him and that's not a good thing. Take control and manage your business. I'm not saying he must go, but you need the money more than him. If some one gets between me and my lunch money then we will go around and around in the mudd, the blood and the beer. You also need to watch that you are not expecting too much from new people. Doing away with the over time will pay for a new guy. Paying some one through the winter months when they are not working is not a good thing. If he cant live with the pay rate and you cant do better then it's time to cut the cord. May be he can help part time.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littleriver1 View Post
I would keep hiring. This guy may be the reason new people leave. I would ask any one that leaves directly if he has said or done anything to cause them to leave. Any way I would keep hiring. It is your business not his, but he seems to be running you. He has made himself so valuable you cant live with out him and that's not a good thing. Take control and manage your business. I'm not saying he must go, but you need the money more than him. If some one gets between me and my lunch money then we will go around and around in the mudd, the blood and the beer. You also need to watch that you are not expecting too much from new people. Doing away with the over time will pay for a new guy. Paying some one through the winter months when they are not working is not a good thing. If he cant live with the pay rate and you cant do better then it's time to cut the cord. May be he can help part time.
Doing this will more then likely cost him even more money. If the employee does his job and does it well, why would you want anyone else? Wait, let me guess, you want to spend even more money then this guy is costing you? Hire someone new means you have to train them to do the job you want done. Have them screw up once and there went all your profit.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

You can offer services during the winter. Snowplowing, roof raking, hang up Christmas lights, trim trees, clear brush, deliver firewood, haul junk..... There are a lot of jobs that you can do to keep your guy(s) working.
2001 Ford F-350 4x4 SD XLT 7.3PSD
6X16' Tandem axle trailer
5X8 BIG MAX trailer
Exmark Vantage 24/52
Bobcat Predator Pro 61" 26LC
Simplicity Legacy 60" Vanguard Diesel
Redmax EB7001, 7150, 7500
Stihl BG55, SH85
Echo SRM-210, SRM-225 (3), Dolmar 22C
(2) Echo PAS-265
Old 03-01-2010, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i say..... down time comes in the winter months with this profession. You know that, we all know that, and he should know that, and accept it (and get what he can out of it in the winter)just to get back to the on season when the gettin is good.I totally agree with what was said earlier. This guy might need to learn to manage his money, and life alittle better...if not, then let him go he's truly in it for money(i think this work takes a special person anyway, regardless of what you're making you have to love this work...i do
Old 03-01-2010, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALC-GregH View Post
Doing this will more then likely cost him even more money. If the employee does his job and does it well, why would you want anyone else? Wait, let me guess, you want to spend even more money then this guy is costing you? Hire someone new means you have to train them to do the job you want done. Have them screw up once and there went all your profit.
I'll respond, only because I have nothing to do till the school bus gets here. What ever it was that you said is not answering the question. He wants to hire more people but no one stays with him very long. The guy he has wants to leave for more money and income in the winter. He doesn't have enough business to keep the guy working in the winter. I'm sure there is a replacement for this guy out there some where. All I said was keep trying to find him, Keep hireing. Also getting rid of the over time will help.