Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-29-2000, 02:43 PM
perfectworldlawn

Hi. We're new to the landscaping business and could use alot of input. One thing that has crossed our minds is what, if any, warranty do you give with the plants you have installed. Also, anyone doing commercial work- what amounts of liability insurance and other types do you carry? Can you recommend a good company? Thanks.
Old 02-02-2000, 07:35 AM
LawnSite Member

alright, since you're new, here's my best kept secret fro getting an edge when selling a landscape install . . . give a 2 year warranty on plants. Why?<p>1. people very worried about their investment being wasted and getting stung with no warranty. In fact a year is generally plenty of warranty--if it makes it through 1 year, then 2nd no problem, so why not offer it, and assuage any fears consumer has.<p>btw, milk the hell out of this one. This helps set you apart from competition.<p>
Old 09-08-2004, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Plant Warranty and the Lazy Gardener

Be careful on this one. Hopefully you pick your plants at a Wholesale farm.

I did a major landscaping job that was beautiful. Got calls from neighbors to 'do the same.'
Guess what...she didn't water the plants and if she did...it was in the middle of the day where she ended up dropping plants that shouldn't be dropping till fall. In the end, she says, "These must have been bad. What about the warranty. Home Depot and Lowe's have warranties." I corrected her about our contract and her responsibilty. We write it in our contracts that the customer must contact us if the plant appears to wilt, look bad or droopy. Then if we show up and the plants are already "CRISPIE" I say... "This was going on for sometime...why didn't you call us sooner, we could have prevented this." Then she pays wholesale for the plants as a happy medium and I offer some enhancements to make up for the service call and both of us our happy.

I offer gardening contracts, depending on what the customer wants and needs are. Then I am there assuring the plants will survive their first year or I WILL REPLACE THEM FOR FREE.

Another issue...there are many critters/things in soil that we can't see. It's a science. Nemotodes. Fungus, Ulcers and the such. Landscaping Design is a great way to make a nice living. Training yourself fto prepare for the Lazy Gardener will cost you $$$ in the end.

Communication is the key. Rectify concerns smartly w/ business in mind!

Garden of Weeden
"For the love of god and Mother nature..."
Old 09-08-2004, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If the plant dies from too much water or not enough,I will not be responsible.

I tell my client that if it dies in the first year I will replant it for free but they have to buy the plant.