Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-01-2010, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Another Frosty Morning in South West Florida

i woke up at 5 am this morning to find out the temperature went down to 33 degrees and frost was every where again. the weather forecasted around 40 degrees, so i didn't even bother covering my plants. this has been a cold winter and no warm up in site, at least this week..only in the 60's. last week the temps rose to the mid 70's and sure felt good and the lawns started to perk back with the greenish color, then two days later, frost again, pretty heavy, and then again, last night. just unreal! hope everybody is staying busy here in sw florida, been kinda slow here! usually doing shrub trimmings around this time but been holding it off cuz of the cold. whats everybody else doing?
Old 03-01-2010, 08:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good luck. I'm wanting the ground to freeze up so I can drive my truck in to get firewood! I have tons of wood but can't get to it because of the wet muddy ground. That and a foot of snow still laying in places.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Frost here again this morning as well and 33 degrees. I have 2 small landscapes to do and a small paver job. I am selling customers on replacing their tropicals with cold hardy plants. This has been the coldest winter I can remember. The lawns are doing nothing out here. The plus is that with all the rain they should take off when it does warm up.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

well, after working today and coming home, my bermuda grass looks terrible from the frost. turned all brown again.....oh well...... all i did today was clean up leaves at my clients yards and drove in circles.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Member

I've been looking for that darn groundhog!! We've had mulch jobs, lining up a couple of good re-sod jobs before our summer mowing starts. This is CRAZY! Can't trim anything, so we are hanging on until we can get the Spring clean-ups moving along. Hey Bill - who do you get your Stihl equip from?? The hedger, trimmer and blower we bought (from the same local dealer) weren't so hot, wasn't sure if it was the product itself, or maybe the dealer couldn't figure out our issues....
Old 03-01-2010, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

happydays...i have a stihl dealer close to me in port charlotte on tamiami trail, but seems like when i go there for something, they are not very helpful. i go in there to buy a pole saw, they didn't have it, they had to order it. no big deal...go back about 14 days later, they never ordered it. i said wtf? so now i go out your way to 4 star power equipment. i bought the pole saw there, stick edger and they carry the synthetic oil for the hand helds, so i'll drive a little farther to get my stuff there. they are very helpful, to me at least. where do you go? i'm headed out there tomorrow to get some oil too....oh to add the dealer in port charlotte don't carry the synthetic oil either and won't order some cuz they don't sell enough...wtf?
Old 03-02-2010, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Member

We go to the same place, they are right around the corner from our house. Nice guys, closed on Mondays (our busiest day for issues!), the hedger still (stihl?! LOL) has issues, as does the trimmer, but the trimmer is a power house (I'm the wife in the business, so my husband uses that and I still use my little echo!). We bought a Graveley from them, just seemed it always broke down, so we ended up trading in for an Exmark (LOVE IT!). We had to go to Shoprite in Venice (Shamrock) a few times, seemed they were very busy, but they were very knowledgable. If you haven't tried Access Mowers (on your way to 4Star), they are also good if 4Star can't take care of you... Good touching base with you, I appreciate the input. We don't service the North Port area, so if you shoot me your info via message, I will now have a contact to forward requests to. Enjoy the rainy day - hopefully that will settle the dust down, turn it green for us, maybe get some warmth (and work!!) soon.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

happydays...i sent you a pm, so check your messages...
Old 03-02-2010, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Pretty cold down there for you boys I would agree.

We are forecast for a HIGH of 33 today and are darned excited about it
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
2 Husqvarna 125B Blowers
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 03-02-2010, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
Pretty cold down there for you boys I would agree.

We are forecast for a HIGH of 33 today and are darned excited about it
lol..that must feel like a heat wave for ya!