Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-02-2010, 03:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Toro or john deere?

I am just getting started in the business this year. SO obviously I am on a budget. I am not really into paying 5,000 dollars plus for commercial equipment. It is out of the question. So I am going to Home Depot and looking at the mowers zero turns. Toro or deere? I can only get the 42'' because I have a 5X10 trailer and that what fits on it the best...anyone ever work with these mowers?
Old 03-02-2010, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasquatchmonk88 View Post
I am not really into paying 5,000 dollars plus for commercial equipment. Home Depot....ever work with these mowers?
Nobody "works" with these mowers cause there are all manufactured to a home owner quality..and they break when worked beyond there home owner design...simple as that. Big difference.

Buying any mower at a The Home Depot is most likely a waste of money..unless it's a lightly used 21" mower. You take a homedepot mower and work it straight for 8 hours a day...I would like to see how long it last. Every piece of machinery I have bought from home depot or lowes and tried to work commercially has been nothing but a let down...You get what you pay for.

The one thing in this business you should not skimp out on is your mowers.

So you wanna spend more like 2k on a mower...Buy a used commercial grade mower...there everywhere. Do a better job quicker and more efficiently.

If you do go the Home Owner route...you better pray for a drought, cause the deck, spindles and motor won't make it very long cuttin the thick and wet...
Old 03-02-2010, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

BladeScape pretty much summed it up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-02-2010, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Member

we had a jd 425 eztrak last year...we still have it but are selling it if you want it....it was a good little machine, never any problems using it commercially and we put 400 hours on it last year. We just ordered a new commercial jd 950 so we are selling it with the bagger. Your deere dealer will service the eztraks. From my experience they are a pretty good machine and pretty efficient.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would suggest going with a used commercial mower, it will serve you much better than a residential grade mower. Commercial mowers are built to have high hours put on them, where residential grade mowers are not built for high hours. There are plenty of used mowers for sale on this site, take a look around.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 03-02-2010, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

DO NOT GO TO HOMEDEPOT OR LOWES for a mower. Just like they have said above, look for a used commercial mower, go to a dealer in your area and talk with them about what you are looking for and they will help. More than likely they will have something used on a the commercial side, plenty out there do your homework on what you are looking at and be prepared to do some repairs but it wont be as bad as buying a residential mower.
2003 8.5x16' Great Lakes Cargo Enclosed Trailer
2005 6x20' BNM tandem 12,000lbs trailer
2011 Scag 61" Turf Tiger 29 LCKawi DFI
2005 Scag 61" Turf Tiger 29 LCKawi DFI
2004 Scag 72" Turf Tiger 29 LCKawi DFI
2001 Scag 52" Turf Tiger 23 LCKawi
2002 Scag 52" SWZ 17 Kawi
2003 JD 250 Series II 64hp
Echo handhelds
Old 03-02-2010, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We use two John Deere Eztrak Z225 42" mowers and love them.

Pros: We especially like the one quarter inch increment cutting height adjustments. It cuts any exact height desired and some of our customers are picky. Its lighter than most zero turns its size which is one of our big selling points (Its turf friendly). Its good on gas. Customers who know nothing about mowers recognize the name brand which is a good thing. Its manueverability on small lawns is a plus. You can get parts for it and it has dealer support. It gets through many gates (but not all). Blades are cheaper. Parts may be cheaper too but I haven't compared prices much (last spindle cost 67.00) Thus far the engines seem to last about 1000 hours give or take.

Cons: They have thinner decks than commercial mowers (but we have a guy who re-works the decks for us). They don't have a foot lift for the deck. You can't get a bagger which utilizes an impeller on the 42" (I think you can on the larger ones). You don't have any engine choices. Our first one would stick a ditch like a goat but our newer one which is a little faster will not. They do not disperse clippings as well as commercial mowers. Decks are thinner than commercial (don't hit immovable objects and bend the deck around the spindle).

They are of course not a better mower than a commercial mower but these are their strengths and weaknesses as we see them. We still like them. Hope it helps.