Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-02-2010, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd say its a great idea, you're both doing something good for God by helping out the church, but you could also benefit from the job if the Church lets you do a little advertising.

If you wanted, you could even organize some "garden restoration days" or something with the congregation where you could buy some mulch, plants, etc. and install them with the help of the congregation to get to know the people at the Church and get your name out.

Even if you don't get any business from it, you'll know you're doing something good!
If then God so clothe the grass, wich is today in the field, and tomorrow is cast into the oven; how much more [will he clothe] you, O ye of little faith? (Luke 12:28)

For if we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord's. (Romans 14:8)
Old 03-02-2010, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I get paid (even good rates) for doing a church for the last 3 years. The property committee likes that they have a reliable person mowing, fert, and weed control.

They have asked for quotes for plowing as the person doing it for free doesn't always do it in a timely fashion (sometimes days). They keep saying he might be done plowing anytime so to be ready for a call.

I do some extra's like showing up for their spring clean up (they cleaning gutters and prune the shrubs). I provide some blowers and vacuum up the leaves and pruning with the mower. Mostly face time with members and they love not needing to pick the stuff up.

I mow 3 members yards and the local historical society grounds off of referrals of the church. It's not much and not the kind of work I'm looking for (I just want commercial stuff these days and don't take on resi's at all unless it is a referral).

Would I do it for free probably, not. Would I give a reasonable quote, yes. I wouldn't nickle and dime them either on little jobs.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Amen, I agree with Five Points. If youre going to mow churches for free, do it out of kindness in youre heart, not to pick up customers
Old 03-02-2010, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Member

i like what dj said about showing up on spring cleanup days. allows interaction with the congregation. allows the members to see your character and get to know you. it's also good way to help out and offer some of your expertise in the field. after spending time with you at one of these cleanup days a couple weeks or month down the road they may need work done or know of someone that needs work and they will remember that you came and cleanup around the church.

if you were to just stroll in and offer to mow the church for free, what happens when you can't do it anymore without collecting a check? surely you can't go on mowing these churches forever for free. i would think at some point you would have to start charging them for it or tell them they have to find someone else. i would just hate to be locked into doing it for free.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

you'll get some Big points from the MAN upstairs..........
Old 03-02-2010, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Have done free lawn and loader work for our Holy Man.....

Has always offered to pay, but I have also told him this is as much as I am doing... the janitor or whom ever can finish it.
If I have a machine that can do work faster and better than by hand, you bet I'll use it and help out.... need no pay.

Hand work that anyone can do... let'em have at it.

And yes.... the good stuff always comes back around.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Member

i don't have a problem with you doing it. BUT if you really want to make an impact, go to your pastor and find out if there are some local elderly people in your church who could use your service.

trust me, older people will talk about that to anyone and everyone.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Member

great Idea actually its more of a benefit than you realize> you can actually come up with a price per cut and at the end of the year have them give you a receipt for tax write off churches are a great way to help with expense write offs
Old 03-02-2010, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Member

been there done that. not much luck with picking up new customers, but felt good to b doing somthing nice. but i dont do anymore
Old 03-02-2010, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm always working for free for my invisible friends too.