Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-03-2010, 12:45 AM
LawnSite Member

I don't do commercial properties for free....church or not. What I do is find out from a church that I attend from time to time is what elderly people need help and then we take care of them for free. We usually do 4 or 5 properties a year gratis. Word gets around the church and some members have turned me on to some very nice business which is great but, isn't it all about helping those that are in need without expecting anything in return? Karma is a good thing.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey just my 2 cents.

My church that I have belonged to all my life has had some financial problems to say the least. Mainly because the area here is an older population and the congregation is slowly dying off and not enough new people are filling their shoes.

Anyway, my church has a part-time custodian and he couldn't keep up with the mowing, so I decided that I would take control of the property myself. I cut the lawn 26 times, did a mulch job that consisted of 20yards of mulch, 3 hedge cuttings, 6 fert applications, 2 fall clean-ups and 1 aeration. I did it because i wanted to. I asked my pastor and he was very grateful that I volunteered to do this. This actually turned out to be a great thing.

About half way through the season one of the elders gave me a key to the lower lot of the church which is all wooded area with a big drop off like a cliff. Told me I could utilize that area and dump all my grass clippings and lawn debris there for free.

I have gotten some side work out of it because they posted my good deed in the bulletin and people have actually called me because of it.

I also got a really nice tax write off at the end of the year.

Not to mention it made me feel good about myself. If your in a similar situation and have the time and devotion to do it. I say go for it. Good luck!
Old 03-03-2010, 02:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would do it like said above, If you want to do it for the common good, Id say go for it. If its only for the money, not saying you are, but it won't be very rewarding. I currently maintain two small residential properties for free and enjoy doing it.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky05 View Post
I also got a really nice tax write off at the end of the year.
What are you writing off? Donated services are not deductible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five Points View Post
I cut my church, treat it like all my other properties. submit a bill at the end of the year. They cut a check and i sign the back and hand it right back and get a tax receipt. To me that is not exactly doing it for free, but it is good for both parties.
I'm not a religious man but I don't think the Lord would appreciate you using his house to deceive someone else.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you do it for free, see if you can put a small nice sign in the front garden "landscape services donated by XYZ"

but think about it for a moment. churches get tax free income...they are a business like any one else, IMO, and should be treated as such....
Old 03-03-2010, 06:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

What happens if you pick up alot of customers this year and find that you don't have time for free cuttings anymore? Are you going to say, sorry I have to charge you now, or I have no time for you?
Old 03-03-2010, 07:13 AM
LawnSite Member

If you have been blessed with more customers, may be think why that is.

Are you saying you would have time to cut it if you were being paid but not if it were for free.

My friends dad told me once a long time a go you will go further on nine tenths then you will on ten tenths. He was so right.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I take care of my church landscape for free. I don't do it as a way of gaining business or building myself up, but as a way of giving something back to my community and my Lord.

1 Peter 4:10 "Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms."
Old 03-03-2010, 08:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, when I think about it forget the money, that won't last long compared to eternal life you will gain by serving God. Do work for the Church, and try to find some elderly people to help out too, don't do it for the money, if jobs come thats great, but if they don't, don't worry about it. You will gain much more by serving God than you will by trying to gain money and wealth on this earth.

Being poor and close to God is better than being Rich and far from God, give to others by utilizing the gifts that God has given you, As OSU said...

1Peter 4:8-10 "Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. 9Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. 10Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms"

Matthew 19:23-24 :"Then Jesus said to his disciples, "I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. 24Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."
If then God so clothe the grass, wich is today in the field, and tomorrow is cast into the oven; how much more [will he clothe] you, O ye of little faith? (Luke 12:28)

For if we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord's. (Romans 14:8)
Old 03-03-2010, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSmith View Post
but think about it for a moment. churches get tax free income...they are a business like any one else, IMO, and should be treated as such....

Yes they don't have to pay taxes on donations but they must still claim them. The laws changed for churches in 2008 which requires better record keeping by them. They also must report any income paid to contractors, so for the ones who are reading this and thinking they could get by without claiming their income from churches, better think again. Last I knew, you can't claim your services as a donation, unless the church agrees ot it and gives you the proper paper work. My church will not let me donate my services, sure I could do it for free, but they will not count it as a donation.

2013 haulmark 18' trailer
2013 John Deere 52' walkbehind
2012 Gator with skid sprayer
2010 Turfco T-3000
2008 JD 997
2006 JD 647a
2004 JD 757 w/ 3 bag & Iron MCS
2002 JD 757 w/ 2 bag MCS
2002 JD 757
Stihl, Echo, Tanka 2 strokes
Big Tex trailers
Tons of other equipment