Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-03-2010, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Definitely go for it. Do it because it's on your heart to cut it for free, not to get something back out of it financially. I cut our church for free as well as do clean ups, etc. It takes 3 guys about 2 hrs to cut. I honestly enjoyed it as a "wind down time" and still kind of do. I do get a letter of donated services for taxes but thats not why I do it. To the best of my knowledge, much of the congregation doesn't know I maintain the grounds.

I have been blessed with the equipment and knowledge to take care of the property better and faster than others. I look at it as it frees up a lot of money for the church and if everyone uses talents given to them the focus can be put on the true purpose of the church.

Hope it goes well for you!
Old 03-03-2010, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Out of curiosity I just called my tax guy about donating services to churches...

Very short answer to a longer version he told me. All it does is create paperwork for both parties, and no benefits to either. May not be the same for your state.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

As for the tax thing..For Federal taxes...You can deduct your costs. labor, fuel, equipment.....wait.....you do that everyday, anyway. If a customer doesn't pay you...there's nowhere on the form to deduct profits that you didn't make, otherwise I'd deduct the 3 mill that I didn't make last year.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have thought about calling a church or VFW and asking if they have a member who could use free lawn service. I have never got around to doing it until today after reading this thread. I called a local VFW and offered my service to a vet in need. I'm not looking to generate any business from helping a veteran. I just want to help someone who made it possible for all of us to do what we do. I'm thankful for being able to live how I do today. I'm not rich by any means, but I'm in a much better position than many. For those who say never work for free. I wont be working for free, I'll be repaying a debt to someone who sacrificed for the freedom and lifestyles we all take for granted. Thanks Grass887 for the thread and do what YOU feel is the right thing to do.
Blizzard 860HD
7 1/2 ft Western Plow
Toro 7/24 snowblower
2 Toro CCR 2450 snowblowers
48" Allis Chalmers
48" Ferris WB
36" Exmark Viking
21" Toro
21" Poulan Pro
2- Echo PB755H
Echo & Ryobi trimmers
Echo PAS 265 & attachments
Stihl & Poulan chain saws
Stihl BP blower
Stihl FS-56RC-E Trimmer
Billy Goat 16hp HTR Loader
Pesticide License BU0426
A Positive Outlook
Old 03-03-2010, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Member

That was alot of reading. Thanks everyone for the replies, this will give me something to think about.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_cut View Post
Yeah, when I think about it forget the money, that won't last long compared to eternal life you will gain by serving God. Do work for the Church, and try to find some elderly people to help out too, don't do it for the money, if jobs come thats great, but if they don't, don't worry about it. You will gain much more by serving God than you will by trying to gain money and wealth on this earth.
so you don't do it for the expectation of money, you don't do it for the expectation of picking up new customers. You are doing it for the expectation of getting smiled upon by god and granting you access to heaven...

you don't need religion to give. Give for the joy of giving, not for ANY expectations, financial or spiritual.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

If you're wanting to help someone, why not go right to the source?

Ask these church leaders who they know who is old and infirm and can't afford a lawn service, and go mow that lawn for free.

Many churches have huge budgets and operate like businesses, complete with waste and bureacracy. Save them a few hundred bucks and it may wind up paying for a secretary, fancy choir robes, a new desk for an administrator, etc. (my desk is an old desktop laid on file cabinets. The ones at my parents' church cost big $$$, does that sound right to you?)

Or was your intent just to get a source of new business?
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2010, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'll tell you this from a looooooooot of experience. I've been specializing in churches/cemetaries since 98' and have mowed quite a few churches. I have never received one single job from any of the congregation-You'd think after mowing the same church for 12 yrs, I'd get one job but not so. Everybody I talk to who mows churches says the same thing. I will tell you one other thing, the churches have screwed me over worse than any other customer I've ever had and I've never understood this. It's a nice gesture but the absolute wrong thing to do if you expect more work. You can take that to the bank. I just mow the one's I have and not expect a thing. If you want to give back, go work in a soup line and see the smiles........
Old 03-03-2010, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

you are totally nuts
Old 03-03-2010, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

This one is difficult. Mowed 15 churches for three years. I have done a good turn here and there but for the most part I like to get paid. I am surely not going to get into heaven by mowing them for Ephesians says "Not by works lest any man should boast".