Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-02-2010, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Member

My new compost rig

I have had this idea in my head for the last year and over the winter decided to jump in and do it. I started topdressing last year with great results. The problem I had was getting materials from the trailer to the Turfco F15. I was using the old grain scoop method and by the end of the day my back would be killing me and 2 yards was enough for me.

I decided to build a bin with a conveyor floor to move the materials into the topdresser. I also put in an agitator to break up clots and fluff the material. The bin holds almost 9 cy. The trailer has a 15600 capacity so I can carry about 10k lbs of material.

I plan on adding the Eco Lawn spreader as well. There is room in front of the trailer to carry the Plugger 850 and the Eco Lawn. This should allow me to do 8-10 houses a day by myself without breaking my back.

Here are some pics let me know what you think.
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2010, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

way to kick azz
lets see it work
Old 03-02-2010, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

That makes a lot of sense and would get things done much faster and easier

I would love to see a picture from above looking down into the "declumper"

NICE WORK, very sweet indeed, you are very experienced and talented obviously, great lines and very clean
Old 03-02-2010, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

That looks really good, and less $$ than a Mulch Mule. Did you build & design it yourself?
Old 03-02-2010, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Looks good turf tech!!!!!! Do you have your CDL license? Also are the 2 tabs on each side the only way it is secured to the trailer? And you might want to consider some type of flagging or marker light on the rear where the conveyor hangs over the edge of the trailer. I don't know how the DOT is in Texas but they have been hell in N Louisiana lately. Just a few suggestions. But looks like some excellent fab work !!!!
Old 03-03-2010, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

tht is awesome!!

Landscape Contractors
Louisiana Licensed: Landscape/Horticulturist, Commercial Ground Applicator, Arborist, Irrigation Contractor, Utility Arborist

Onsite Sandbagging, Palletized Sandbags & Bulk Totes, Emergency Response, Erosion & StormWater Barriers
Old 03-03-2010, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICT Bill View Post
That makes a lot of sense and would get things done much faster and easier

I would love to see a picture from above looking down into the "declumper"

NICE WORK, very sweet indeed, you are very experienced and talented obviously, great lines and very clean
Thanks Bill, I have a picture from the back of the agitator. It is basicly a set of blades similiar to a small tiller. It rotates at 750 rpms.

Grasssales I dont think I need a CDL to haul this. I have one, but I dont think it is required. As far as the unit over hang goes it hangs over 36" from the end of the trailer. In Texas you are allowed 48" overhang without any markings or lighting. I plan on cutting the arms that hang out off after I make a few test runs with it. I might need to add a deflector to direct the compost into the spreader. I was also considering adding a conveyor extension to it to load mulch into a bark blower my buddy has.

Dually Vette, yes I designed and built the unit in my shop. I have about 200 hours in it. I could build 15 of these for the same price as 1 Mulch Mule.
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2010, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Member

That is sweet!

Is it an optical thing or does the unit slope up from front to back? And if so, any particular reason for it?

Can you let us know if you have any 'bridging' issues once you try it out?

It's a beauty!

Lloyd
Old 03-03-2010, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Tech View Post
Dually Vette, yes I designed and built the unit in my shop. I have about 200 hours in it. I could build 15 of these for the same price as 1 Mulch Mule.
So $50,000 (Mulch Mule) devided by 15 (materials)= $3,333.34 + 200 hrs labor= $233 per hour...not bad.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Member

I orignally built it to go on another trailer. It was twenty foot low boy with 2 5200 axles. I made it sloped so that the back would be tall enogh to get the top dresser under it. I was also attempting to get the center of gravity as far forward and low as possible it's not really needed with this trailer.
Posted via Mobile Device