Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-03-2010, 07:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Another new website to review

Seems like the number of requests to take a look at new websites has grown in the last two weeks since I started doing my homework on the subject (for the third time in so many years). You'd think it was spring or something.
This is the third incarnation of a site for my husband's company- we're still in an area where word of mouth and truck visibility seem to be the best advertising, but internet presence is on the rise for sure, and almost everyone has "something" to send potential customers to online...
I can't get a candid review from friends and relatives, so I'm hoping you guys aren't burnt out yet, and can give me some constructive criticism/feedback.
Our site is www.follansbeeslandscape.com - we're located in Central NH, and I've been following these forums for a number of years, as time allows. I don't usually have anything to add that someone didn't already say better though... always learning.

Thanks for your time.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nice site however (IMO) ....The Services Provided section is way to cluttered. The about us section font could be larger.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Looks good
Old 03-08-2010, 07:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickin Your Grass View Post
Nice site however (IMO) ....The Services Provided section is way to cluttered. The about us section font could be larger.
Thanks for the feedback: I had a feeling about that services offered section... time to go back to school days and remember "edit, edit, edit"!
Thanks for the tip on the about us section too: that is the only part of the last version that pretty much got copy/pasted in: we had a high school student working on the site in Dreamweaver (part of her classes) but she has different classes now, and no one wanted to take over: sound familiar? I'm trying Website Tonight, until I can refresh and expand my stale and outdated web design skills. A lot has happened in the last 10 years (and not just on the internet).
We've considered hiring a designer, but we've got to get our heads together on what my hubby really wants - this should hold us for now.

Did anyone have trouble uploading the slideshow? We still have quite a bit of dialup around here - I'm on cable. I know the photos are individually average, but the total is huge.

Thanks again: I'll be making the changes hopefully tonight - life just got busy around here.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminesh View Post
Looks good
Thanks! I liked yours too - you guys must be busy by now in PA - or still under all that snow? We're just waitin' for the melt... yawn.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Looking good... I need to re-work mine!
Certified ICPI installer
Member NHLA & IAHP

Kingsbury Landscape & Design LLC-owner
Deep Roots Hydroseeding LLC-Partner

http://kingsburylandscapedesign.com
http://deeprootsllc.com/
603-393-7568
Old 03-08-2010, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks good.

I don't like the foggy header image though.

Thought to ponder, because you wrote "lawn" singular, maybe change "elements" to "element" singular.

You probably already realize that you need to work on your title and description tags.

Thanks for the invitation to chime in. Its so grand for us owners of the broad range of rank and file sites to get to say what's on our minds.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890
Old 03-10-2010, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGSBURYLANDSCAPELLC View Post
Looking good... I need to re-work mine!
A fellow NH member! - Love your quote on red mulch: hubby refuses to carry it (or put it down if at all possible).
Old 03-10-2010, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden View Post
Looks good.

I don't like the foggy header image though.

Thought to ponder, because you wrote "lawn" singular, maybe change "elements" to "element" singular.

You probably already realize that you need to work on your title and description tags.

Thanks for the invitation to chime in. Its so grand for us owners of the broad range of rank and file sites to get to say what's on our minds.

Husband's comment about the header image was "what is THAT supposed to be?" (one of our customers perennial beds BTW)
Out of 450+ photos I have it was the only one in blue -green hues I could crop to complement the logo colors in the banner space I have to work with... as soon as it gets green around here again I need to go on a photo shoot. That image, and the fact that I don't have a single good shot of the gorgeous lines our mowing guy runs all week long, both need to be addressed ASAP.
I'm glad you reminded me on the tags - out of sight out of mind: I've got to sit and figure that out again
Old 03-10-2010, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesregionscapes View Post
Husband's comment about the header image was "what is THAT supposed to be?" (one of our customers perennial beds BTW)
Out of 450+ photos I have it was the only one in blue -green hues I could crop to complement the logo colors in the banner space I have to work with... as soon as it gets green around here again I need to go on a photo shoot. That image, and the fact that I don't have a single good shot of the gorgeous lines our mowing guy runs all week long, both need to be addressed ASAP.
I'm glad you reminded me on the tags - out of sight out of mind: I've got to sit and figure that out again
Want to learn a bit about title and description tags?

Type in big city keywords like "Seattle landscape service" or "Atlanta Landscape Contractor".

Look at which sites look good, and take a guess at which ones have webmasters, rather than do-it-yourself sites. Odds are that most really big companies hire a pro web designer.

Anyway, right click on the page, and choose "view page source" or to up in your browser to VIEW and choose view page source.

Look at the choice of words they are using, especially the title and description. Look at how they order them, and use of commas.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890