Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-03-2010, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Other advertising techniques

Has anyone here tried any "commando" style advertising? I know a lot of you live in areas that frown upon this, but in my area you can get away with it. I was thinking of getting some cheap yard signs printed up to put on busy intersections. Something that just says Landscape Maintenance and my number. It just seems like it could work.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I did something similair. Simple signs that said lawn care and a number thats it. Simple and to the point easy to read while moving. Calls came in alot and fast. After the first week they would dry up. Some would get taken down some run over and so on so the idea was if we could get a good 24-48 hrs out of one sign it was good. Key was to put out lots of them.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

for thought, i would never call anything posted like this, see the all the time and think what cheap crap and trashing up the place. think of that as well while spending money to advertise, it could damage your reputation.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
for thought, i would never call anything posted like this, see the all the time and think what cheap crap and trashing up the place. think of that as well while spending money to advertise, it could damage your reputation.
When I mowed lawns for a few years i got quite a few calls off my lawn/political signs. Especially the one I nailed 20 feet high on a telephone pole opposite a big sub entrance so no one would take it down.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
I'm considering putting out sings like this in the spring. And while I do agree that they can ruin your reputation, I don't think it would be effected if you do as the original poster suggested and just put on the sign:

Landscape Maintenance
123-456-7891

With no business name. The only way people will make the association with you is if they took down the number and if that's the case they probably weren't offended.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Member

That is exactly what I was thinking. I just ordered some like that, but also have a 20% off special on there to get some interest. They are a cheap form of advertising and I will just have to see how affective.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I tried this one year and all the signs went missing, not sure if it was the city, or competition or maybe vigilante residents trying to keep their neighborhood tidy.