Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-03-2010, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Member

what is the best stand on mower out there

currently running 13 walker mowers and 2 gravely z260 in the fleet and looking for more cost efficient mowers to run in the fleet spending way to much money on repairs
Old 03-03-2010, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I run Wright Standers. I LOVE THEM!!!!!!!! They are by far the most popular stand-on Unit on the Market.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:13 PM
LawnSite Member

For what it's worth I compared several standers and it came down to Toro and Scag. I already have a small Wright. I think I am going to pull the trigger on 2 Scags later this week. My big complaint with Scag is the size of their gas tank.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We sell wrights and scags. I love the wrights, they have been around a long time. But the scags are going to give them a run for thier money $$
Wright
Snapper
Snapper pro
Redmax
Snow ex
Blizzard plows
Boss plows
And fix all the rest...
Old 03-03-2010, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOHUSTLER View Post
We sell wrights and scags. I love the wrights, they have been around a long time. But the scags are going to give them a run for thier money $$
Not to start a fight.... although I'm sure it will......

Why do you think so? Price... ease of maintenance.... cut quality.... comfort? They just look to me anyway, not a very efficient design. I would love to get one as I have great Scag dealer and love my TC. Just not impressed with the design of the stander.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

great dane surfer, more comfort, cheaper, rut friendly, built like a tank and did i say cheaper!
Stay focused and leave distractions for those who will fail in their ventures
Old 03-03-2010, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i drove one of the scags around and it was way better than it looked, surprisingly so, and the velocity deck is one to be envious about.

all that said, we run wright standers and they have been nearly flawless and way more compact. the new ones have it even better so check the 2010 models. we have a new one sitting waiting for grass. it has spring platform now too, and even stronger frame in which the old one was plenty strong
Old 03-03-2010, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

While the Walkers probably are more prone to needing little repairs than other less-complex designs, are you going to be giving up capabilities and cut quality you need? The standers can't do high volume bagging, and I've heard nowhere near the praise for the Wright cut that you hear about Walkers.

I can see the idea of using them in place of Walkers though, since they are good on small lots with a lot of turns to make. If you're using the Walkers on small tight lots I they may work well. But if you have to bag everything you might ask users how they compare doing that first. I personally hate side bagging. They're also not getting lots of feedback on mulching ability, though I'm not sure if that's because everyone discharges with them or what.

It seems the Gravelys are the sort of machine one would use on wide open areas for chop/drop high speed mowing. I doubt the standers would be any huge improvement there, and they might be less efficient in some ways. And again, you can't hang a high capacity bagger system on them like you can a ZTR for leaf cleanup. Also I think they are pretty solid in terms of reliability. Mine is, and they look well built and pretty simple design-wise. I wouldn't think the Wrights have any real advantage there.

Finally, a company your size may have need of the various implements the Walker has, plus midmount ZTRs can usually tow various aerators, carts, etc. You might want to consider keeping one or two of the old machines in the fleet for the uses I mentioned (high profile turf on undulating terrain needing a manicured cut, leaf cleanup, bagging grass when required, aerating, dethatching, etc) and use the standers for the more routine work.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

bagging does make a huge difference, we dont bag anything but leaves, but would not want to with a stander, way too time consuming
Old 03-03-2010, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Toro Grandstand