Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-05-2010, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Member

The word from Scag is that they were designed only as a stand-on (no GrandStand-style flip-up platform to convert to a walk-behind)
Old 03-06-2010, 01:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

how's wright sentar (with the seat) compare to stand-ons and ztrs?
Old 03-06-2010, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinggregi View Post
The Grandstand "flip up platform" is virtually useless. I only use this when I'm loading onto the trailer. Since the engine weight is forward, it takes all traction from the rear wheels, unless there is an operator riding to counter balance it. Literally, if you are walking behind it and encounter ANY uneven ground, one of the tires will spin. It's simply pathetic, and also dangerous when the mower doesn't have both tires in full contact of the ground.

So I assume the exmark will have the same faults?

And scags flip up platform only flips up the back 1/4 of the platform, so if your loading and want it shorter and out of the way, then when your mowing you can flip it down for ride comfort.
Wright
Snapper
Snapper pro
Redmax
Snow ex
Blizzard plows
Boss plows
And fix all the rest...
Old 03-06-2010, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by demhustler View Post
how's wright sentar (with the seat) compare to stand-ons and ztrs?
The sentar is kind of stuck in between and stander and a ztr. It has flip up seat. but when it's flipped up the machine is very uncomfortable to ride because the seat is in the way. I personally don't care for the sentars. But I love the standers.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

sentars were very nice to use, although your but will get sore from straddling the seat. the older ones had serious issues so never purchase one that is any older than about 2 years. dont even get me started on that.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I demoed the V-ride a couple of weeks ago and was impressed with it. I much prefer the height adjustment system of the Scag over the Toro. The Scag was simply built more heavy duty. I also like the fact that the deck was separate from the engine. I don't know how that will affect the belt wear and that may be a negative but it may not make a difference at all.

I also preferred the Scag operator suspension system over the Toro in that it was made of steel springs rather than rubber bumpers. Those rubbers are going to wear out and render themselves useless over time.

There were a couple of negatives with the Scag though. For one it was the heaviest - not by a lot but every little bit counts. There was a weight on the front and a better designed system would have eliminated the need for the weight. I imagine that they were restricted by other patents though. Also, the rear tires are 10.5 inches wide rather than the traditional 10". It is very hard to find the same tires. They are made by Kenda but even Kenda's website did not list them. You could put the 10" tires on it but wider is almost always better.

The last thing that I did not like is that you could not get off of the machine unless you 1. Turned the blades off. 2. Placed the hydros in neutral. 3. engaged the parking brake. If you do not do those three things in that order, the engine will cut off. Well, that is very good from a safety perspective but there are times when I really need to get off of the back and help it along in wet conditions. If you get stuck, it would be really handy to be able to operate the hydros and push the mower at the same time. That is not an option with the Scag though.

Soli Deo Gloria
Old 03-06-2010, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasMWhite View Post
The sentar is kind of stuck in between and stander and a ztr. It has flip up seat. but when it's flipped up the machine is very uncomfortable to ride because the seat is in the way. I personally don't care for the sentars. But I love the standers.
Agree 100%. Love the Standers but, not crazy for those Sentars.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTP View Post
There were a couple of negatives with the Scag though. For one it was the heaviest - not by a lot but every little bit counts. There was a weight on the front and a better designed system would have eliminated the need for the weight. I imagine that they were restricted by other patents though. Also, the rear tires are 10.5 inches wide rather than the traditional 10". It is very hard to find the same tires. They are made by Kenda but even Kenda's website did not list them. You could put the 10" tires on it but wider is almost always better.

The wider tire will help handle the weight by displacing it over a larger area.

The last thing that I did not like is that you could not get off of the machine unless you 1. Turned the blades off. 2. Placed the hydros in neutral. 3. engaged the parking brake. If you do not do those three things in that order, the engine will cut off. Well, that is very good from a safety perspective but there are times when I really need to get off of the back and help it along in wet conditions. If you get stuck, it would be really handy to be able to operate the hydros and push the mower at the same time. That is not an option with the Scag though.
How fast will it take someone to figure out which wires to unhook or wire differently.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinggregi View Post
The Grandstand "flip up platform" is virtually useless. I only use this when I'm loading onto the trailer. Since the engine weight is forward, it takes all traction from the rear wheels, unless there is an operator riding to counter balance it. Literally, if you are walking behind it and encounter ANY uneven ground, one of the tires will spin. It's simply pathetic, and also dangerous when the mower doesn't have both tires in full contact of the ground.
interesting......

i have not found this to be true even slightly......i flip up the platform and walk behind it on hills that i'm uncomfortable standing on the unit.

i never flip it up when loading unless i need the extra space when i'm hauling my walkbehind edger which is twice a season.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Member

I want to comment on how heavy built the Scag is. I really don't understand why everyone keeps saying this. The Grandstand has a bigger frame (size of the steel) and a lifetime warranty. Besides looking at the two in person just read the specs. The Toro is 866 lbs vs Scags 860 lbs. The Grandstand has more metal guards on it, otherwise the engine's, drives, etc.. are similar but the Toro does not have a 40 lb chunk of iron bolted to the front to hold it down. That weight difference went somewhere. From the overall size of the machines you would expect the Scag to weight more but it does not. I am not knocking Scag (buying two) but I do get tired hearing this from dealers and reading it on the board. The real difference between Scag, Toro, Wright, all good machine's, is in the design and operation of the units. The hard part is choosing which will work best in your mowing business.