Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-03-2010, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Difference in Cat and ASV MTL's?

I've taken an interest in MTL's and I particularly like the ASV SR80. I know thats not the newest series ASV but thats what I would get. What is the difference in the SR80 and say a Cat 277? Does the Cat have as good traction as the ASV? is the ground pressure comparable? What do you guys think, Cat or ASV?
Old 03-03-2010, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Asv builds the machine specificly for tracks, where as cat is a skidsteer chasis on an u/c. Just ask JPG he seems to have great success with his asv machines.

A.E.L

Land Clearing, Grinding services, Mulch Production, Excavating, Grading

Check out our new YouTube account!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWI...YEpKMXUcrB1jBw
Old 03-03-2010, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You'll like the 277C Cat better than the ASV SR80, bigger cab for one and you aren't sitting in a small cab surrounded by a PLASTIC fuel tank.
THE ASV is still better suited for the undercarriage, but the Cat is more "skid steer like", I've seen a local PT60 owner in our area with his machine and it's always dancing on the front, the ASV's weight is 50/50 distribution, I like more ass weight since I run heavier buckets.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 03-03-2010, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post
You'll like the 277C Cat better than the ASV SR80, bigger cab for one and you aren't sitting in a small cab surrounded by a PLASTIC fuel tank.
THE ASV is still better suited for the undercarriage, but the Cat is more "skid steer like", I've seen a local PT60 owner in our area with his machine and it's always dancing on the front, the ASV's weight is 50/50 distribution, I like more ass weight since I run heavier buckets.
I bet you like it for other easons too...

But yah, Ron's right. Heavier buckets on a 277 will be better than ASV. I wouldn't trust a plastic fuel tank... Particularly wrapping around the machine. I had a double take whn I saw an ASV like that.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would need the traction and low ground pressure of the ASV. I had a hunch the Cat was just the ASV U/C on a skid chassis. I know a tree service owner locally that has run them (ASV) for a long time now and he keeps going back to them. The Cats seem to be easier to some by and cheaper but lack a few things, like standard hi and low flow and more auxillary hydraulic outlets. Seems like no machine is perfect, there always has to be a sacrifice.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you referring to a 277B or 277C? (BIG difference!)

The C-series cab is far superior to the ASV's, but that also means there's more fancy gizmos (namely, electronics) -- which could be a bad thing if any of them decide to stop working. The UCs are roughly the same; Cat's added some of their own changes with the C-series UCs, but in most definitions the two share a very similar base. The ASV will be narrower and possibly feel better balanced (no load) than the Cat, and will also offer better rear visibility and lower ground pressure. From a productivity standpoint, I think the ASV will win (by a small margin) in tighter conditions; the Cat, being heavier, will probably push a bit better. Cat uses planetary final drives in the C-series; not sure if that's the case with the SR-80 or not off the top of my head.

If you're referring to the B-series, that's a whole 'nother story.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If I went Cat it would be the 277C. Doesnt the B series have an extra roller on the top toward the front of the machine?
Old 03-03-2010, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Avoid the 277B, those were the undercarriages that gave Caterpillar a bad name.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 03-03-2010, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedly05 View Post
If I went Cat it would be the 277C. Doesnt the B series have an extra roller on the top toward the front of the machine?
Yeah. The 267B and 277B have a carrier roller and have more of a trapezoidal track routing than the 277C, whose UC is much more triangular.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post
Avoid the 277B, those were the undercarriages that gave Caterpillar a bad name.
Yes, but they have lower ground pressure that anything else I believe. I hear they can almost walk on water. No, it wasn't from a Cat salesman either.