Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-03-2010, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had a 267B and that thing could run across a wet yard without a track mark. I just bought a 287B so we will see how much of a difference they have.

My thing with ASV is the finish on the machine. Maybe it has gotten a little better, but my god put an air ride sit in one please. I just don't think they have the engineering behind them that Cat does. I agree with others that Cat has more weight toward the back of the machine and that can wear on the tracks more. The tracks supposedly last longer on ASVs. And that is about the only reason I could think of to buy an ASV.

But honestly, I think it is all in how you treat your machine as to how long the tracks last. My buddy has a 287C with 740hrs and the tracks still look pretty damn good. He takes care of his machine and mostly runs it in dirt, and I can still barely see the little wear triangles on the surface of the tracks. So he might get 1200-1300 hrs out of his tracks.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caterkillar View Post
I had a 267B and that thing could run across a wet yard without a track mark. I just bought a 287B so we will see how much of a difference they have.

My thing with ASV is the finish on the machine. Maybe it has gotten a little better, but my god put an air ride sit in one please. I just don't think they have the engineering behind them that Cat does. I agree with others that Cat has more weight toward the back of the machine and that can wear on the tracks more. The tracks supposedly last longer on ASVs. And that is about the only reason I could think of to buy an ASV.

But honestly, I think it is all in how you treat your machine as to how long the tracks last. My buddy has a 287C with 740hrs and the tracks still look pretty damn good. He takes care of his machine and mostly runs it in dirt, and I can still barely see the little wear triangles on the surface of the tracks. So he might get 1200-1300 hrs out of his tracks.
Air ride seat..heck I just want a suspension seat in my RC50! I actually think they all have suspension seat options on them now. I would tend to agree with you on the fit and finish of the ASV machines, but I have seen the newer machines and they actually don't look bad at all. I think ASV must have taken a little bit of notice and shored this area up. I do like the CAT cabs (and their machines), but the rear visibility on the C series is terrible. I also like the fact that the ASV frames, arms and cabs are made right over in MN in the USA. CAT does not build their frames and loaders in the USA. They were built in Mexico for a long time, but I think they're now using both Mexico and Canada to reduce their costs. Their rollers on their new CTLs are actually imported from Korea from the roller/steel undercarriage company they bought last year some time.

The one thing I can say is that there is a performance difference between the machines. You can feel it when you operate them without even having to concentrate. I think that being a track machine from the ground up makes a difference. CAT runs their tracks much tighter which I think affects life, but it also robs engine hp. I do see a big difference in wear rates on the tracks between the two machines and I think it is due to the weight distribution that you guys mention and the tight tracks. I think they're both good machines. You should try them both out and make a decision then. Good luck.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well I like my PT80 and would never own a CAT anything.

Cats are generally a bit heavier, thus more weight = more track wear.

The ASVs don't have to be all fancy, and have all kinds of gizmos to be a good machine. My 50 was a basic as could be and it worked everyday with no problems. My 80 is the same way. Sure its got its quirks. But it works like it should everytime you strap yourself into it.

I have ran my PT80 and a CAT 287C side by side. I think both machines performed equally from a performance standpoint. The CAT had a nice cab, But it had a door that swings open, and my 80s goes up and over. That feature is nice since my machines work around ground crews most of the time. Operators need to be able to talk to the people they are working around.

The Cat does have a different Squirel cage. Its open instead of closed like the ASV. I like how the cat is. The ASV boggies float, the Cat doesn't. The ASV rides smoother and is faster in all aspects. The ASV has a Janky fuel port, and the plastic fuel tank needs to have something done with it. The Cat was ASS heavy.

The biggest selling point. The CAT costs alot more $$$$$ than an ASV. But Cat dealers are pretty common ASV dealers are not. There is a Cat dealer 30 minutes away from me. The local ASV dealer has no idea what a PT80 is, no do they realize that ASV is part of Terex now. So I have to drive about an hour and half to my ASV dealer. But both ASV dealers have any replacement parts overnighted so we are up and running again pretty quick.

J.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Peterson Grading View Post
The ASV boggies float, the Cat doesn't.
Quick (small) correction: you get get dual-level suspension on the C-series; it's not in the base package, but it is available.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Nedly, I think the skid with VTS rides the same as the ASV's. I also like how our little ASL(same as RC 30) grades. I wish the ASV had better fit and finish and had an Isuzu or Yanmar for power.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for all of the replys fellas, lots of good info. If we were to buy one it needs to be able to perform all year long, so at some point a snowblower would be added. How would the SR80 and the 277C compare running a blower(hi flow a must) on long private driveways where 12% grades are not uncommon?
Old 03-04-2010, 08:45 AM
LawnSite Member

I use to have ASV machines they are a great concept, but they use cheap parts and do not stand behind their product very well. CAT on the other hand has a great product awesome dealer support and they stand behind their product 300 percent. Imo i would go with CAT.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MackCat View Post
I use to have ASV machines they are a great concept, CAT on the other hand has a great product awesome dealer support and they stand behind their product 300 percent. Imo i would go with CAT.
Be specific with your cheap parts because I know you wouldn't be talking about the same engines that CAT and ASV use, same pumps and drive motors, same loader valves, same pilot controls, same undercarriages I even know for a fact that CAT used ASV wiring harness supplier at one point due to an issue with theirs. I'd be interested to hear the specific components you reference. I feel that the loacal dealer that I deal with is very good at supporting the product and I think there was a guy on here that had ASV pay for his RC100 engine full stop even though the warranty had expired (don't know all the details, but he was happy in the end).

I just love it when people make broad based statements based only on their individual experiences. There is a big leap from ASV and my dealer did not support the machine(s) that I owned compared to "but they use cheap parts and do not stand behind their product very well.". One statement is specific to one experience and the other speaks for everyone else out in the market place. So do you speak just for yourself, or everyone out there that currently owns or has owned an ASV machine over the last 27 years they've been in business?
Old 03-04-2010, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digdeep View Post
Be specific with your cheap parts because I know you wouldn't be talking about the same engines that CAT and ASV use, same pumps and drive motors, same loader valves, same pilot controls, same undercarriages I even know for a fact that CAT used ASV wiring harness supplier at one point due to an issue with theirs. I'd be interested to hear the specific components you reference. I feel that the loacal dealer that I deal with is very good at supporting the product and I think there was a guy on here that had ASV pay for his RC100 engine full stop even though the warranty had expired (don't know all the details, but he was happy in the end).

I just love it when people make broad based statements based only on their individual experiences. There is a big leap from ASV and my dealer did not support the machine(s) that I owned compared to "but they use cheap parts and do not stand behind their product very well.". One statement is specific to one experience and the other speaks for everyone else out in the market place. So do you speak just for yourself, or everyone out there that currently owns or has owned an ASV machine over the last 27 years they've been in business?
Yes I did make a broad based statement based on MY individual experience, what the Hell else is there to base it on! AND FOR YOUR INFORMATION MY DEALER DID STAND BEHIND THE PRODUCT ASV DID NOT!! as far as parts 5 dollar china made bearings that failed every month no grade 8 bolts on exhaust took mechanic 7 hours to change muffler because every bolt broke off. engine is not the same as cat it had an isuzu engine, wiring harness burned up( not the same as cat) Drive motors are not the same either replaced one of those @ $4,000.00 I could go on and on . Do a search and you will see that i`m not the only one who has ever had problems with ASV. The guy you are talking about that ASV replaced his engine go back and read his post he had to pay out of his own pocket and ASV only stepped up to the plate after he Bad mouthed them on this site and several other sites. I had so much trouble with my machine that MY DEALER went to another dealer and got me a brand new machine and gave it to me NO QUESTIONS ASKED! They had to SUE ASV for all the warranty repairs done on my machine because ASV would not pay them for it. They dropped ASV no longer selling them, by the way my dealer is a Caterpillar dealer, so when i got ready to trade guess what i bought? Yes a CAT!
Old 03-04-2010, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i think you'll like the ASV better......my PT 80 as every option other then the beacon, so it has a suspension seat........anyway i ran a cat 287 next to my PT80 for a month in november most everyone on the project liked the 80 more, the only guy the liked running the cat was 6'5 and the cats got a roomier cab.......the SR80/PT80 are the flagship of ASV they are the only ones with that undercarriage so its hard to compare them to another skid.....and for the plastic tank you guys get so hung up on it, most tanks in equipment are plastic you just dont see them , ive never in the 750hrs on my 80 had anything hit the tank , its alot harder to hit then it looks....if your banging things off the machine maybe you should rethink how good of an operator you think you are .....the tank is behind the bucket when its down and who drives forward into things with the bucket up and from the side my tracks are 20inches wide so you'd have to really not be paying attention to hit it from the side....it just bugs me how people are so quick to say they dont like asv , are people who have never ran one, ive ran all the major brands except CASE so out of all of them ASV i liked the most , everything in the videos i'd stand behind ive done it before myself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FWdAd_5zCQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU2_bLLKfyw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVNZnVIq1UQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zt9L...eature=related