Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-04-2010, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MackCat View Post
Yes I did make a broad based statement based on MY individual experience, what the Hell else is there to base it on! AND FOR YOUR INFORMATION MY DEALER DID STAND BEHIND THE PRODUCT ASV DID NOT!! as far as parts 5 dollar china made bearings that failed every month no grade 8 bolts on exhaust took mechanic 7 hours to change muffler because every bolt broke off. engine is not the same as cat it had an isuzu engine, wiring harness burned up( not the same as cat) Drive motors are not the same either replaced one of those @ $4,000.00 I could go on and on . Do a search and you will see that i`m not the only one who has ever had problems with ASV. The guy you are talking about that ASV replaced his engine go back and read his post he had to pay out of his own pocket and ASV only stepped up to the plate after he Bad mouthed them on this site and several other sites. I had so much trouble with my machine that MY DEALER went to another dealer and got me a brand new machine and gave it to me NO QUESTIONS ASKED! They had to SUE ASV for all the warranty repairs done on my machine because ASV would not pay them for it. They dropped ASV no longer selling them, by the way my dealer is a Caterpillar dealer, so when i got ready to trade guess what i bought? Yes a CAT!
Well...at least you referenced the machine you had by the fact that it was a CAT dealer. You must have had either a MD2800/2810 or a MD70 since you mentioned an Isuzu engine. You are dragging machines from the late 90s and early 2000s through the mud. CAT dealers haven't sold ASV machines for years.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digdeep View Post
Well...at least you referenced the machine you had by the fact that it was a CAT dealer. You must have had either a MD2800/2810 or a MD70 since you mentioned an Isuzu engine. You are dragging machines from the late 90s and early 2000s through the mud. CAT dealers haven't sold ASV machines for years.
Doesn`t Matter a problem is a problem and in my eyes ASV will always be the same. I know guys with new PT100`S That have had nothing but problems and ASV doesn`t want to help them either so nothings changed
Old 03-04-2010, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I know digdeep gets mad at me every time i say this but when i demoed that asv rc30 i thought it was built like a cheap piece of crap. But then again they have there place and digdeep has said that they steped up there game a bit.

Also looks arent everything lol but those asv machines are so akward looking lol
Old 03-04-2010, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well I would have ANY ASV over a bobcat!

I hate paying Cat's ridiculous prices, but they will have the ANY part in the morning.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Doesn`t Matter a problem is a problem and in my eyes ASV will always be the same. I know guys with new PT100`S That have had nothing but problems and ASV doesn`t want to help them either so nothings changed
Look....I'm not trying to convince you (why bother), and I'm happy that you like your CAT...with an ASV designed undercarriage. I happen to think they make a decent machine (even though they got to get their chassis and arms made outside of the US so they basically only assemble their MTLs ) I guess if we look hard enough we could all find customers of brand "X" that had problems. Takeuchi's old TL26s were nightmares, but that doesn't mean they haven't improved their machines. They have, even though they've lost half fof their market share since 2006 (ASV has actually increased and they still hold the #3 spot).

I think the guys at ASV must be thankful that NC doesn't make up the bulk of the CTL market otherwise they would never make it to their 28th year in business.

mrsops..you don't piss me off, and I actually agree with you that ASVs machines lacked in fit and finish, but they have come along way since I bought my RC50 MackCat owned an old MD series machine. And I know you and I could look back at some old bobcat models and wonder how they have still stayed #1 in the world....constant evolution and improvement.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Look....I'm not trying to convince you (why bother), and I'm happy that you like your CAT...with an ASV designed undercarriage. I happen to think they make a decent machine (even though they got to get their chassis and arms made outside of the US so they basically only assemble their MTLs ) I guess if we look hard enough we could all find customers of brand "X" that had problems. Takeuchi's old TL26s were nightmares, but that doesn't mean they haven't improved their machines. They have, even though they've lost half fof their market share since 2006 (ASV has actually increased and they still hold the #3 spot).

I think the guys at ASV must be thankful that NC doesn't make up the bulk of the CTL market otherwise they would never make it to their 28th year in business.

mrsops..you don't piss me off, and I actually agree with you that ASVs machines lacked in fit and finish, but they have come along way since I bought my RC50 MackCat owned an old MD series machine.

Sounds good
Old 03-04-2010, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:

mrsops..you don't piss me off, and I actually agree with you that ASVs machines lacked in fit and finish, but they have come along way since I bought my RC50 MackCat owned an old MD series machine. And I know you and I could look back at some old bobcat models and wonder how they have still stayed #1 in the world....constant evolution and improvement.
The undercarriage is built by ASV to Caterpillars specifications hence the heavier axle seals and bearings. I got that straight from the factory, My salesman took me to the factory right here in good ole North Carolina
Old 03-04-2010, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
The undercarriage is built by ASV to Caterpillars specifications hence the heavier axle seals and bearings. I got that straight from the factory, My salesman took me to the factory right here in good ole North Carolina
I got a bridge for you up here in WI. I have seen the local CAT dealer grind off the ASV logo from the outboard bearing plate before and had them tell me that CAT owned ASV. Don't worry, I'm sure you're not the first person they told that to.

ASV used that same undercarriage on the SR80 before CAT even introduced the C series. Other than the bolt pattern on the wheels, the bearings and metal face seals are the same. And CAT went to a drive motor/planetary combination because their 287/297s were too A$$ heavy to turn very well with just a drive motor. Other than that they are identical. Get me the part number of your bearings and seals and I will get you the ASV cross part number.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

OK,so I have no question that they are both a great machine. I know how buying a faulty machine can leave a sour taste in your mouth, its happened to me too. I know the ASV machines are great in the mud and snow, which is what I need, but How will a 277C perform in the same conditions? Will the 277 climb in soft conditions, go through deep snow, and keep going in the mud? I cant believe there is too much difference. There arent the videos on you tube of the Cats as much as the ASV's, all of the ASV comparison vids dont have the Cat in it, which makes me think they must perform nearly the same.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjack View Post
i think you'll like the ASV better......my PT 80 as every option other then the beacon, so it has a suspension seat........anyway i ran a cat 287 next to my PT80 for a month in november most everyone on the project liked the 80 more, the only guy the liked running the cat was 6'5 and the cats got a roomier cab.......the SR80/PT80 are the flagship of ASV they are the only ones with that undercarriage so its hard to compare them to another skid.....and for the plastic tank you guys get so hung up on it, most tanks in equipment are plastic you just dont see them , ive never in the 750hrs on my 80 had anything hit the tank , its alot harder to hit then it looks....if your banging things off the machine maybe you should rethink how good of an operator you think you are .....the tank is behind the bucket when its down and who drives forward into things with the bucket up and from the side my tracks are 20inches wide so you'd have to really not be paying attention to hit it from the side....it just bugs me how people are so quick to say they dont like asv , are people who have never ran one, ive ran all the major brands except CASE so out of all of them ASV i liked the most , everything in the videos i'd stand behind ive done it before myself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FWdAd_5zCQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU2_bLLKfyw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVNZnVIq1UQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zt9L...eature=related
The outside of the tank is guarded with metal correct? Atleast a decent plate of steel?

If it isnt, I could see sticks and limbs and crap like that coming through the grapple and hitting the tank.. But I back off when things like that happen.. So in essense it wouldnt be a problem..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!