Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-05-2010, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjack View Post
thanks Digdeep for getting the part numbers
No problem. I don't mean to be a PITA, but nedly05 asked about the difference between the machines and I felt that there was a statement that wasn't representative/accurate about the product. I would have had no problem if it was specific to personal experience and related to a more current machine (not one produced back in the late 90s or belonging to "lots of other owners"). I'm not targeting MackCat either. I'm sure he is a great guy and feels strongly about the machines he owns just like all of us on here.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digdeep View Post
I apologize if I offended you. I didn’t think I was offensive in saying, “I just love it when people make broad based statements based only on their individual experiences.” I guess I was wrong.

You said- “You need to be the poster child for ASV. I got something for you here in NC Too. The undercarriage on my cat doesn’t say ASV anywhere it says Caterpillar and you are wrong, they are not identical look at the wheels on a SR-80 then go look at a 297C CAT see if you can spot the difference." You missed my point entirely - I admitted that the bolt pattern on the wheels was different- “Other than the bolt pattern on the wheels, the bearings and metal face seals are the same.” And I never said that CAT didn’t have input only that they didn’t design the undercarriage. ASV confirmed this as well.

I hate to prove a point, but I called ASV just to set the record straight. It does say ASV on the wheel hubs- look into between your wheels at the casting. Also take a closer look just opposite of the CAT part number on the wheels and you’ll see the ASV part number on all of the wheels-
15” Idler CAT 309-3297 ASV 2035-713
10 Bogies CAT 309-3298 ASV 2035-714

They also use the same seal and bearings on all wheels. Here are the part numbers-
Seal 63mm- CAT 258-3035 ASV 2035-189

Bearing- cup CAT 002-1212 ASV 2035-017
Bearing cone- CAT 2F-8509 ASV 2035-018

Oh, and they use grade 8 bolts.

Call me a “Poster child” if you want; however, I don’t crow about the ASV product any worse than others on here talk-up Deere, Bobcat, CAT, Case, Takeuchi, etc. We all have the machines we like. I’m just careful about making broad based statements that are either not reflective of the entire market, don’t represent the entire brand; happen to be erroneous, or derogatory towards someone's choice of equipment. I didn’t say that I was never wrong, but I try to be cautious about what I post.

I wish you the best of luck with your machine. Enjoy the ride, traction and performance provided by that ASV designed undercarriage that has CAT’s input in it.
I understand where you are coming from didn't mean to ruffle any feathers but out of curiosity i looked up the parts list for a PT-80 undercarriage and if you look at the bearings in the bogie wheels they are still using the 6207 china made bearing that i had so much trouble with on the 2810 and 4810 that i owned. so i looked up the same parts list for my CAT and they don't use that bearing they use the heavier cone bearing. I hear what you are saying but there are some differences.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think MackCat is right on this one -- I think there are duo-cone seals on the Cats but not on the ASVs. (Not positive of this and I don't have a direct way to check.)

That being said, maybe we could continue discussing merits of each machine and shake hands on the semantics... i.e. move on.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Member

I think that would be a great ideal
Old 03-05-2010, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The decision goes to Digdeep via superb grammar and punctuation. You should have been a teacher!
Old 03-05-2010, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerotor77W View Post
I think MackCat is right on this one -- I think there are duo-cone seals on the Cats but not on the ASVs. (Not positive of this and I don't have a direct way to check.)

That being said, maybe we could continue discussing merits of each machine and shake hands on the semantics... i.e. move on.
I think that sounds like a good idea!

I'm really liking the sounds of 15" of ground clearance!
Old 03-05-2010, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozerman21 View Post
The decision goes to Digdeep via superb grammar and punctuation. You should have been a teacher!
I'm way better at math
Old 03-05-2010, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerotor77W View Post

Sorry Xing, last comment (can't help myself) and I'm done- both definitely have face seals page 2 of the PT80 brochure.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digdeep View Post
Sorry Xing, last comment (can't help myself) and I'm done- both definitely have face seals page 2 of the PT80 brochure.
I knew the ASVs had metal face seals, but this is my bad -- I was thinking they were two different items. I do recall going home past 5PM several times and seeing the Cat UC engineer still working on a design -- so there has got to be *something* that Cat did to the design -- but ultimately, I wasn't in purchasing or sales and don't honestly know if there are significant differences between the ASV and Cat UCs.

Nedly05, I'm a Cat fan... I think the C-series has some serious drawbacks, but it isn't a bad machine by any means. Again, I think that in most situations you're going to be able to get the job done with either an ASV or a Cat. That being said, if you're willing to put up with a more barren cab, the ASV may be a good alternative for you (provided the price, dealer support, and machine condition are all acceptable).
Old 03-06-2010, 05:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think the ASV is the best route for us. I was talking to Dad about it yesterday and we were watching the vids on you tube. I told him how the cat has nearly the same bottom as the ASV. He said dont buy it unless you see it run against the ASV, he was seriously impressed with the ASV and thats the route he wants to go.

It wont be run in the worst of conditions on a regular basis, but its good to know you can go there when you need to!