Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-03-2010, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Member

anyone elses health insurance go throigh the roof?

Just got my anthem blue cross premium renewal and it is going up to $1500 per month. I was tapped out at $1000 per month. This is insane. How are you guys making out?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-04-2010, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

it went up last renewal period by 60 bucks per week or 240 an month. rip off but cant do without it for my wifes conditions so stuck paying it
Old 03-04-2010, 04:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCPM View Post
Just got my anthem blue cross premium renewal and it is going up to $1500 per month. I was tapped out at $1000 per month. This is insane. How are you guys making out?
Posted via Mobile Device
Just be glad you have insurance, I just lost my job of 18yrs yesterday. Lay-off. Guess I will be full time now.

Exmark Lazer ZX 29 hp Kaw 60in.
Exmark Turf Tracer HP 19hp Kaw 48in.
Honda HRX 217 21in.
Stihl FS90R Trimmer
Stihl FS94R Trimmer
Stihl FS250R Trimmer
Stihl FC 110 Edger
Stihl BR600 BackPack Blower
Stihl MS261 Pro Chain Saw
Echo CS 310 Chain Saw
Stihl HT 131 Pole Saw
Stihl SG20 BackPack Sprayer
Kawasaki KHT 600D Hedge Trimmer
Kawasaki KCL 525A Extended Reach Hedge Trimmer
Old 03-04-2010, 06:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I guess I'm not going to complain. I have mine through my wife's work and it only went up about $10 a week for the both of us. Just to maintain a plan you may have to scale back to less benefits. You could also cut back to what is called catastrophe insurance. http://www.howstuffworks.com/insuran...-insurance.htm

Old 03-04-2010, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

My wife has ours through her work. Actually hers went down this year with better coverage.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:58 AM

Yea makes you wonder why Blue Cross is going up?

Catastrophic Insurance is Catastrophic when you have to use it. You still have a good sized premium that keeps going up every six months. You have to raise the deductible to try and counter the premium increases...So you have this big deductible and and good sized payment. Then the Insurance company decides they don't want to cover a good bit of the Hospital and Doctor charges and/or does the co-pay bit.
Catastrophic will equal any other type Insurance if you ever have to use it for Hospital care.
Really I think many policies stick it to you when it comes down to paying your claim. They have divisions that sole purpose is to get out of paying whatever they can and/or paying as little as possible.
Lots of people and businesses dumping Blue Cross for jacking up their prices. They are sacrificing volume. They may have a good reason to raise their prices. Hospitals and Doctors pass along cost of providing services for those that can't pay to those that can. Either way, we pay for those who can't or won't pay. Hospitals don't hide the fact they do this. They will charge $140 for one Tylenol pill for example.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I just picked up insurance thru coventry for $88.00 a month. Its a 2500.00 deductable but it will serve its purpose for major accidents.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

WHAT? Why is your insurance 1000 a month, let alone 1500? Is this just what it costs nowadays? I'm 25 and have been quoted by several of the large companies at anywhere from 75-145/month. I'm guessing that I'm missing something....
Old 03-05-2010, 04:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Really I think many policies stick it to you when it comes down to paying your claim. They have divisions that sole purpose is to get out of paying whatever they can and/or paying as little as possible.
Lots of people and businesses dumping Blue Cross for jacking up their prices. They are sacrificing volume. They may have a good reason to raise their prices. Hospitals and Doctors pass along cost of providing services for those that can't pay to those that can. Either way, we pay for those who can't or won't pay. Hospitals don't hide the fact they do this. They will charge $140 for one Tylenol pill for example.
I can pretty much tell you, hospital aren't being paid any more any more than has been negotiated between the 2 parties. The hospital can charge $140 for a Tylenol but the insurance company is only going to pay $3.

Just having catastrophic insurance can make a huge difference in how much you pay even if the insurance doesn't pay a dime. If the claim is turned into the insurance company all of the prices are automatically renegotiated to the insurance company's discounted rate. Even if the insurance doesn't pay you get to take advantage of their discount when the bill is eventually sent to you. It can make a difference between paying $140 for a Tylenol and paying $3.

Even little details such as the order in which the items are listed on a claim can make a difference in whether the insurance pays or you do.

The hospitals (and every other medical facility) has people that work for them called "coders" and their sole job is to make up invoices to send to insurance companies. It is such a specialized job that you have to go to school to get certified before any respectable medical facility will hire you.

This did happen to me. I went to see my family doctor. Well apparently there is some bizarre thing that Cigna has with smoking cessation and other health problems. The coder accidentally put my high blood pressure diagnosis after the smoking issue on the invoice that they sent to the insurance company. Well the insurance company picked up on that real quick and paid for the smoking but refused to pay for the high blood pressure for whatever reason.
My daughter works closely with the coders at ECU Physicians and saw my bill. She made a quick call and the coder resubmitted the invoice with the high blood pressure before the smoking and the insurance company paid for the whole thing.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Health care system is really broken. They did an investigation on Anthem here in Ca and found they made billions last yr. No justification for such a jump in rates. Just greed.