Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-03-2010, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Longbed ok for plowin?

Without joining plowsite just yet and just looking for a quick answer, can someone tell me if I will regret getting a longbed truck when it comes time to plow? Looking at quad cab long bed dodge 3/4 ton and will be doing 90% driveways for first year or so and most of those are pretty short...should I go with the shortbed or just go with longbed? I really wanna get a toolbox back there in the bed and the shortbed with toolbox just seems too small of a bed to work with and plowing seems to be my only worries about the longbed...opinions? Thx
Old 03-03-2010, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I plowed for a few winters in a F250 super cab longbed, but I don't touch driveways, all commercial and it's not bad at all. It's actually not much if any longer than my crew cab short bed F250. I dont have much experience with driveways, I did a few with that truck in the big snow storm we had over christmas just to bail people out, and it wasnt that bad, my complaint was more with the super stiff clutch I put in the truck than with the length. I would think I would stick with as short a truck as possible for resi's though.
22' goosneck flatbed 20' 14k tilt bumper pull skid trailer 18' tandem flatbed
05 JD 737 60" Z
07 JD 657A 54" Quik-trak
11 Z925A JD
Deere 36 w/b hydro
Toro 44 hydro
Deere 21's
Lesco Spreaders
RedMax stihl shindaiwa
200 gal spray rig
Billy Goat truck loader
7753 Bobcat
Old 03-03-2010, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Most people have a long bed...just not a four door. I have 2 duallys. 2 & 4 door. I wouldn't want to plow anything besides a road with the 4 door.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've never plowed with a quad cab, just standard cab 8 foot bed 3/4 tons and manuevering with even them can be a problem. It's easier now that I have a V plow because I can fold it into V mode when manuvering in tight spots to get additional clearance..makes a big difference not having all that plow out front. Personally I wouldn't wanna be driving a quad with 8 foot bed.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Dam, this is what I was afraid of hearing but better to hear it now then when next winter rolls around. The space with the long bed would be so nice but might just hafta go with shortbed.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Or get a snowblower and maybe an operator for it to get the spots you can't get into. It's just a matter of not being able to get the truck in certain places...like can't swing into the turnout or whatever. You may have to swing pretty wide or do a 3 point turn entering the driveway from road if it comes in on an angle, stuff like that. It's less than ideal for sure. I think the ideal driveway truck is something like a Tacoma with a downpressure plow.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea this newer dodge will be my work/personal truck, wish I had the luxury of having 2 or more trucks so that I could get the right driveway truck.
Another question (hopefully not too dumb), when you are doing driveways with the truck, can you drag the snow out in reverse? Alot of the driveways I will be doing are really short, like 2 lengths of the truck and Im just wondering if I can pull up to the garage door and then reverse it out into the streets? Alot of them are on culdesacs or other streets where Id have room to turn around in the street...
Im looking to get a 4 wheeler and have someone on that so in that case the truck wouldnt be used except for the big driveways. But the 4 wheeler is not a guarantee yet and I would still like to be able to do some driveways with the dodge. Around here, you do one or two driveways on a street and the whole street wants it done...I dont wanna make the mistake of getting too big of a truck either.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yah, to your question, sort of. What i usually do is pull push off the heavy deep snow up at the apron (the entrance to the driveway) enough to get in easily then plow my way in and push off to the side before I get to the garage door, usually to the back side of the driveway turnout if there is one. Then I pull up to the garage as close as I safely can, drop the plow and drag it back. Then I may push that off to the turnout as well or go back out to the street, turn around and back in and then push out to the end of the driveway and then push it back. In most if not all areas, it's illegal to push snow across the street. If I do, it's usually just my final cleanup pass. The main thing is to pick up any spillage so that nobody will hit it and loose control. But you don't want a huge mound of snow up on the edge of the driveway by the road either because it will limit visibility pulling out. The problem with backdragging is that plows are designed to plow frontwards and they may not get all the way down backdragging and may but pack it down to ice. Some people put a backdrag edge on their plows to get it to scrap better. Hiniker has a cool C plow that actuall splits and uses the top of the moldboard as a backdrag plow. Other's have a downpressure system to backdrag better. Under some snow conditions, I won't backdrag at all..the heavy wet stuff that packs easily.

Well hope this helps..I'm not gonna even check for typos so let me know if there's something you don't understand.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the help man! Im already a member of soo many dang forums that I cant keep up with and if I go join plowsite I know I wont get on there enough...Ive had to learn most of the stuff in this industry on my complete own and snowplowing is just totally new to me. So many of my customers are asking for it I gotta stop letting the money pass by. Think I might go with the shortbed to be safe and really just try to get the 4 wheeler or good snowblower for the small driveways. Any other tips are appreciated.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Member

I do about half commercial and half residential with my 3/4 ton Ram, Ext Cab/ Long Box. It gets a little long sometimes but I've gotten used to it and I would much rather deal with that during the winter than losing out on all that bed space for everything else. In my opinion, it's worth it to get the long box unless it's strictly a plow truck. - Sam

SEMPER FI