Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-05-2010, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

do your college thing. If you really want a few yards, then pick your top ten clients and keep em. But don't skip classes to cut grass or plow snow.

Long at the long term. keeping your business going is a short term goal that can greatly affect how your long term goal of graduating ends up. Do you graduate with a 2.0 or on the deans list... and how does each end result affect future job opportunity.

what are your plans after graduation? go full time in lawn care, work for someone, totally different line of work?

You may potentially miss on on other job opportunities in the summer months that could lead to a better job after college. Again look long term

not knocking your biz, but 18 clients is not a whole lot and it would be easy to grow the business again...if that what you wanted to do...

when I was at Florida, I had the opportunity to spend the summers working for the folks landscape company or work for Disney. I took Disney. If you have your own biz, you'd more likely pass on that opportunity. An opportunity that has opened many many doors for me...
Old 03-05-2010, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSmith View Post
do your college thing. If you really want a few yards, then pick your top ten clients and keep em. But don't skip classes to cut grass or plow snow.

Long at the long term. keeping your business going is a short term goal that can greatly affect how your long term goal of graduating ends up. Do you graduate with a 2.0 or on the deans list... and how does each end result affect future job opportunity.

what are your plans after graduation? go full time in lawn care, work for someone, totally different line of work?

You may potentially miss on on other job opportunities in the summer months that could lead to a better job after college. Again look long term

not knocking your biz, but 18 clients is not a whole lot and it would be easy to grow the business again...if that what you wanted to do...

when I was at Florida, I had the opportunity to spend the summers working for the folks landscape company or work for Disney. I took Disney. If you have your own biz, you'd more likely pass on that opportunity. An opportunity that has opened many many doors for me...
yea i plan on working full time as an engineer, and your right, 18 isnt a whole lot, thats why i was curious if i could drop a few and still attend college without the two getting in the way of each other
Old 03-05-2010, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

if It was me...and its it not, but if it was I'd consider two options keeping the ten best (one days work more or less) But I would also prepare my customers for a quick drop if a good internship or summer opportunity in your field of study came up. The other option is to sell out the contracts/equipment to a sophomore or junior in HS and invest the proceeds to pay for some of your college stuff. thereby lighting your liabilities (fuel, insurance, biz lic, taxes, ect).. juggling both is not the easiest, it can be done and has been done, but in the end whats more important to YOU.....
Old 03-05-2010, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Member

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. It depends on how driven you are. I ran a business while I went to college AND lived on my own since I was 18. Was it easy, hell no. But it's doable. You just have almost NO room for error. Think long and hard about it too. While your friends are at the keg party, you have to go in because you have a long day ahead of you. In the long run it helped me land my first "real" job because I could show the ability to manage my time and multi-task. A lot of potential employers will look at more things than grades. On your resume, showing that you worked AND attended school is a good thing (only if your grade point average is good). It shows dedication and focus. I KNOW it can be done. Do you think YOU can do it?
Old 03-05-2010, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegotcrabgrass View Post
You can do anything if you put your mind to it. It depends on how driven you are. I ran a business while I went to college AND lived on my own since I was 18. Was it easy, hell no. But it's doable. You just have almost NO room for error. Think long and hard about it too. While your friends are at the keg party, you have to go in because you have a long day ahead of you. In the long run it helped me land my first "real" job because I could show the ability to manage my time and multi-task. A lot of potential employers will look at more things than grades. On your resume, showing that you worked AND attended school is a good thing (only if your grade point average is good). It shows dedication and focus. I KNOW it can be done. Do you think YOU can do it?
agreed, i KNOW i can do it and if it comes down to that ill make sure i do it right with no error. thats awesome that you were able to do both! if theres a will then theres a way man. i just started this thread to see what roblems people came across when doing both that i may not see now so that i can make as little error as possible. Thanks a lot for the advice
Old 03-05-2010, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zak406 View Post
I could tell you were from pittsburgh before you ever said anything about Univ Of Pitt lol yinz Welcome..
I think this explains us a little better LMAO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mobi0B0L37w
2008 Chevy Duramax
2007 Chevy 3500HD Dump
2003 Chevy 2500HD

6x16 Tandem Trailer
5x10 SS Trailer
5x8 Dump Trailer
Bobcat CT225 tractor-loader
Wright Stander 48" RH & 48" X
Quick 36”
JD GT225
(2)Honda HRX 217's
Echo & Stihl handhelds

*Link to my thread*
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=242555
Youtube Channel:
www.youtube.com/bobcat61590
Old 03-05-2010, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deere615 View Post
I think this explains us a little better LMAO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mobi0B0L37w
ahahahah how DARE they make fun of primanti's its ironic because i was just bragging about my eastern eurpean descent today ahahaha hate to admit it but in 3 minutes they pretty much summed us up.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbean408 View Post
ahahahah how DARE they make fun of primanti's its ironic because i was just bragging about my eastern eurpean descent today ahahaha hate to admit it but in 3 minutes they pretty much summed us up.
Yes it does I say and do most of that but oddly enough I have never been to primantis and never had their sammiches
2008 Chevy Duramax
2007 Chevy 3500HD Dump
2003 Chevy 2500HD

6x16 Tandem Trailer
5x10 SS Trailer
5x8 Dump Trailer
Bobcat CT225 tractor-loader
Wright Stander 48" RH & 48" X
Quick 36”
JD GT225
(2)Honda HRX 217's
Echo & Stihl handhelds

*Link to my thread*
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=242555
Youtube Channel:
www.youtube.com/bobcat61590
Old 03-06-2010, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deere615 View Post
Yes it does I say and do most of that but oddly enough I have never been to primantis and never had their sammiches
its a damn good sammich!
Old 03-08-2010, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Member

I saw this post today and couldn't help but put my two cents in. For four years I tried to balance this same schedule. You are going to have to be very disciplined as well as organized. I feel like I lost most of my college "partying" days to either running or planning for my business. MY strong advice is this, keep your accounts small as you have stated for a little $, try an internship with an ME company, and have fun while your in college. :Leave your options open

Tags
business , college , school