Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-05-2010, 07:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

maybe the grass cutting/basic maint is a lost leader so to speak. get the basic mow blow and go @ cost, and then you get first crack at the "no bid stuff" tree work, flowers, planting, sod, ect....and make it up on the back end...

@ 40bucks an hour that 207 hours...17 hours each week for 12 weeks... or 2 employees one day each week...

even if he screws the pooch and bails on the contract after one year the city has saved 10K, and lowered the pricing down significantly for the following year.

definitely low...but it would be interesting to see what kind of work they do..
Old 03-05-2010, 07:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milsaps118 View Post
That's just crazy.........My guess is 3 thing are going to happen.

1) The contractor will be loosing his shorts and is going to default on the terms of the contract.

Yes he will lose his shorts, A friend of mine who's retiring has done it for several years. Materials alone for the tree wrapping is about $3000. And a weeks work for 2 guys. Materials for the spring cleanup run almost $1000
2) The scope of work will not be met due to poor service/quality and the contractor will get fired.
Likely, The Director of Public works expects everything to be done perfectly

3) The contractor will stick it out till the end, realize he took a huge bath on the deal and withdraw from the remaining 2 years.

And if he doesn't complete the term of the contract he will forfeit the performance bond which is $5000

If any of the 3 happen, the next lowest bid will be offered the contract. Just hope the next lowest bid isn't $8,301!!!!!!!!
I got the bidders list, There were 9 bidders, the next lowest bid was $17,800.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
They, the municipality, should know that a low bid like that can not do the job correctly.
And due to that fact alone, possible damage and more work will be required
to correct any mistakes the next year. Stupid, just stupid.
They should, But they always go low bid. If the cuts aren't timed right then there are a lot of complaints from the baseball and soccer associations. A lot of this is due to the fact they only contract for 12 cuts.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSmith View Post
maybe the grass cutting/basic maint is a lost leader so to speak. get the basic mow blow and go @ cost, and then you get first crack at the "no bid stuff" tree work, flowers, planting, sod, ect....and make it up on the back end...

@ 40bucks an hour that 207 hours...17 hours each week for 12 weeks... or 2 employees one day each week...

even if he screws the pooch and bails on the contract after one year the city has saved 10K, and lowered the pricing down significantly for the following year.

definitely low...but it would be interesting to see what kind of work they do..
That's the thing.
The quote INCLUDES the Aeration, Flower Beds (and there's quite a few) Tree wrapping, (LOts) Cleaning up dog poop, Litter, EVERYTHING. There's no Extras to be had. I bid $18,200 so even without this bid I wouldn't of got it. I based my bid on the actual hours, operating and material cost over the last couple of years. I was lucky to have access to that info from my buddy who did it. Crazy way to price a job I know

When you have 8 bids ranging from $17,800 to $22,400 then one at less than half. That should have thrown up some red frags with the County. But it didn't .. Oh well.

And if he bails after year one, He loses the $5000 performance bond.

I just landed a $23,000 landscaping job. And have several more in the works. Looks like people are starting to loosen their wallets a bit this year.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickin Your Grass View Post
(For The Record) I'm not defending this guy.............

This stuff is starting to become normal. He might provide good service at that price. The only reason I am saying this is.......

My buddy had the contract for the local walmart at $1600 per month. It was time to bid again and he didn't get it. It went to a new lawn company that I have only seen around maybe 2-3 years for $985 per month. He does a descent job on it as well. However...... I see him picking up more work at these cheaper rates and the quality going down because he is overloaded on work and can't handle it.
It's everywhere. Commercial accounts are all about price. Government too. Cheapest guy wins. You can't operate a business this way and hope to make a profit.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. --Leonardo da Vinci

http://integritylawnpro.com
Old 03-05-2010, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The city may very well know that it is not a good bid, but under most states laws, they have no choice but to a ccept the low bid unless they can come up with concrete evidence to disqualify a bid. They legally probably have to let him fail just to be able to disqualify him.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Commercial Bidding = (translates to) Who will do the most amount of work for the least amount of money...
No thanks.

CAROLINA CUTS
Landscape & Lawn Service
Not your ordinary pain in the gr@ss lawn service...
Old 03-06-2010, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well that should help our industry! Thank you LOW-BALLERS! !
04 Chevy 3500
04 F350 Diesel
3 60" Toro Zmaster/Lesco 48"
3 8'2" Boss V-Plows
Hiniker 9'6" V-Plow
20' Enclosed trailer/16' Open trailer
18' Skid Loader Trailer
2012 S185 Bobcat 2-Speed

Old 03-06-2010, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It seems that it's the norm these days to select the low bidder for contracts. I used to administer the bidding process for good sized engineering and construction projects relating to environmental cleanups. In my experience, you usually don't want the low bidder, especially if the bid is lower by a large margin. It typically means they do not understand the scope of work, will not provide satisfactory results, will not complete the project on time, or all of the above. As a matter of course, I would toss out both the high and low bids and select one in the middle.

It's a sad statement that substandard workmanship is winning out over quality based on money alone. I think we all know that once a landscape is let to go to hell, the cost of restoring it is far more than it would have been to maintain it properly in the first place. The old adage of penny wise and pound foolish comes to mind.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

is the job prevailing rate?
Old 03-06-2010, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Cuts View Post
Commercial Bidding = (translates to) Who will do the most amount of work for the least amount of money...
No thanks.
It goes both ways........