Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-04-2010, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I come from a town that has very little diversity, but we do have quite the population of mexicans who come up during blue berry season and mowing season. I know that one of the largest landscape companies in the area hires alot of migrant workers during the season and from talking with customers of theirs, I've heard that there is a communication barrier. I know that it does frustrate the customer to try to communicate with someone and not get through to them.

Now, advertising "english speaking and american owned" could be crossing the line a little bit for some people, not for me though. The one thing you don't want to do is offend any potential customer (not that I care if anyone is offended or not, 'cause I don't).

I could keep going on this top (while getting a little off track) but I would probably get myself in hot water, because I have very strong views about this topic.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 03-04-2010, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Member

I have been asked a few times if my crew speaks English. It is only me, so I say yes.

Off topic kinda, but 1 of the biggest problems we have in this country is people thinking that you need to be a citizen to be in this country legally. You don't. My wife is not a citizen, and she may never become 1. And if she does at sometime, it is her choice. But she is here legally. She has the same rights as we do, but can't vote. She is a permanent resident.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Member

i've been thinking about putting something like that on our flyers. my opinion is that if it offends a potential customer than we probably would'nt get along very well anyway...i'm just tired of these large companies that hire these illegals/non-americans to do the work that they are to lazy to do themselves, or to cheap to hire an american to do at an honest wage... all the way!
Old 03-04-2010, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

100% American labor here.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

you can not be american and not speak english.........i don't care if the very first american's did not didn't speak english. in this day and age it can't happen. if you were born in the U.S. you speak english and if not then you need to be living somewhere else. if your gonna live in america then speaking english should be a requirement.......
Old 03-05-2010, 12:31 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The blue flag with the single star is the Bonnie Blue flag (Confederate). Having said that,
some of the friendliest folks I know here are a hispanic lawn care group. They appear to all be legal and some can speak english. I see hispanics in town and many dress and act nicer than local folks. I can't say anything bad about folks with manners no matter what race or color they are.

Illegal immigration is a different matter but unfortunately it doesn't matter what I think about it because it is sanctioned by the government. Since Lincoln won by force of arms I must bow to his greater judgement and wisdom.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:47 AM
LawnSite Member

I get the most fun speaking spanish to mexicans after they talk **** about me, becuase I'm white.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven B View Post
I get the most fun speaking spanish to mexicans after they talk **** about me, becuase I'm white.
Ditto. I'm also a big guy, 6'2" and 245lbs of muscle. I'm also completly harmless and easy going. But I do truely enjoy it when little Mexicans are all talking tough thinking I don't understand. LOL
Old 03-05-2010, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think there is anything wrong with saying it on a website. The area will determine if it is necessary. Some areas I think it could really make a difference, other area's it won't really change anything.

It's sort of like manufacturing companies who put MADE IN AMERICA in all their advertisements. If it works for them. Why not us.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven B View Post
i do the same thing. it paid to have spanish in school and then know and befreind the local mexican resaurant owner