Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-07-2010, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triplex View Post
From the customer's perspective, I think communication is a bigger problem - I think a lot of customers care more about having a worker who understands questions and instructions in English than about knowing what the guy's immigration status is.

I think a lot of the Hispanic guys are hurting their long-term chances for success in America by only working on Spanish-speaking crews. I improved my Spanish quite a bit by working on a mostly Mexican crew; the Mexicans could do the same with their English skills if they ventured outside their comfort zone and worked on an American crew!
if your talking from this industry's perspective you could be right......

sorry my post kind of ended up being, on a whole the thought of non english speaking people/immigrants.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
if your talking from this industry's perspective you could be right......

sorry my post kind of ended up being, on a whole the thought of non english speaking people/immigrants.
In the end, I believe it all comes down to professionalism. Anyone conducting company to client business should be able to speak, read and write english proficiently. I will not hire anyone if they cannot pass a simple english comprehension test. If I cannot clearly understand what someone is saying to me, I feel no longer obligated to continue with the conversation, as I am sure many clients to as well. It is not discrimination or racism of any kind, it is simply the need for successful comprehension, professional business courtesy and respect to our clients, our business and the foundation this country is built on. Just my two cents.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Out here in California you'd be hard pressed to find an all white lawn crew ... I've never seen one myself.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPPER MAN View Post
America has no official language. Most people just speak english. I'm fluent in english and spanish but that is because I am a Mexican-American. Here in Texas there are almost no white boys who mow grass, those that do usually do a absolutely terrible job but only got the job because they are white. Customers here are accustomed to not being able to communicate with the crew. It usually just takes a lot of pointing and broken english to communicate lol. All my workers are hispanic because we are the only people who do this kind of work here.

I think it is hilarious how some of you guys blame Latino's for all your problems. Yes illegal immigration is bad, but those guys do jobs that Americans would never want to do.
I think this post from another thread pretty well tells the story about Gringo grass cutters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryB View Post
This one really threw me a curveball. The couple specifically wants hispanics, says they have had enough of lazy americans. Their addition (on their home)was started she tells me by americans. The company sent in all white guys that just showed up late, got nothing done,left early and were smoking pot in her basement. Then she tells me she fired that contractor and hired a second one with all hispanic workers; they finished the job in two weeks were the other crew (americans)spent two months there to finish 20% of the job. She said it's not their 1st bad experience with american workers. Yes they are american (white) and disgusted.
This really stung me but honestly this is an all too common occurence.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodolboyslandscaping View Post
If I cannot clearly understand what someone is saying to me, I feel no longer obligated to continue with the conversation, as I am sure many clients to as well. It is not discrimination or racism of any kind, it is simply the need for successful comprehension, professional business courtesy and respect to our clients, our business and the foundation this country is built on. Just my two cents.
I have a very wealthy customer who is from India and has a very heavy accent and speaks broken english, oh and he is 100% american. Born in NY and moved to India as a baby. In Az he owns 9 apartment complexes, 3 hotels and owns several Diamond mines throughout the world. When I met him for a walk through of the properties, should I have said, "Thanks but our conversation is over, because I cant understand you, and by the way I am not interested in the $32k a month you are offering me to maintain your properties" I talk with him on a regular basis and have been serviceing his properties for 5 years now and people cant see how I am able to understand him. $32k a month, thats how. Business, not politics.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I just realized that I posted my above post in the wrong thread.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:12 AM
LawnSite Member

I think I'm going to put up an "American Owned and Operated" magnet on my truck. What a surprise it will be when a Mexican-American shows up for the walk through and has an education in Ornamental Horticulture. Yes, the typical Caucasian school mate from high school will say "typical Mexican" when I run into him and he finds out what I do for a living. I'm coming out of California so there is a lot of Mexicans here. What is funny is that there are a lot of immigrants from other countries that I have had the pleasure of knowing, ranging from: Denmark, Brasil, Australia, and Bolivia, yet they always seemed to be taken out of the "illegal in this country equation". What is astonishing is that they can speak more languages than any American can in this country, including English!wow. There are more English speaking Mexicans in Mexico than in Austria, funny! our Governor is from Austria too! But other than that it doesn't matter to me! I kind of like being that snake that slithers in the grass ready to attack anyone who tries to talk down on me. Anyways I think it's a good idea and surprise if you put up an "English Speaking" caption on your advertising campaign. Let's see who shows up knocking.