Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-04-2010, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Member

goin from the 21" to a WB or ZTR

ok folks here is the deal, ive been creeping on all ur posts for the past hrmmm 8 months? never had to post anything because i was able to find everything just from lookin

the question...where a newer lawn care company..did it part time the first yr...banked it all..used some of it to buy out a 5 yr old company....so now where full time and going to be buuussy...

we have only had to use 21" although now we have a few VERY large yards..primarily back yards that back onto golf courses...to do these with 21" sucks!! and its hard to get those sweet lines, although remember we are new and since these are back yards they have gates.....

soo i was thinking a 32 or 36 WB but..those are dam expensive,,,i was in HomeDepot today and saw this

http://www.ariens.com/products_lawn/...s/default.aspx

thoughts? its not commercial but its all steel, B&S engine, adjustable deck. and its $2500 also if i get it this weekend on our homedepot card we dont have to make any payments for a yr

i was wondering if u think its a good started for larger properties with gates, since we are new dont have tons of cash and have to deal with gates

feed back is most welcome!

ps. gettin used commercial items does not seem like an option in my area....

Old 03-04-2010, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Get a commercial walk behind. Fixed deck. Gear Driven. Not gonna cost you much more than that thing, but it will be commercial grade. Bigger Better Engine.

So many reasons for you to shop around and find a good commercial new or used.

So few reasons why this mower would be a good purchase.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

look into the better outdoor products mowers
61'' Scag V-Ride 29 HP Kawi
48" Exmark Lazer Z HP
48'' Bobcat Ransome Mower
21'' Husqvarna Mower
Stihl FS55R Weedwacker
Stihl FS100RX Weedwacker
Stihl BR600 Backpack Blower
Stihl MS180C Chainsaw
Giant Vac Walk Behind Blower
Kawasaki KHT600S Hedge Trimmer
Giant Vac 16HP Leaf Loader
Old 03-04-2010, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Member

as far as used i would agree...id love to get some used gear. although its just not an option in my area...craigslist/kijiji = nothing for sale

i thought floating decks where better? to change the size of cut?
Old 03-04-2010, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes floating is better for many reasons, but I'd not suggest someone get a noncommercial unit before the get a fixed deck. I only suggested it to make things fit in your price range.

1. Buy commercial

2. Buy what ever features or upgrades you can afford for that commercial unit.

3. Just don't buy a homeowner unit.

As for adjusting cutting height, I don't do it on each lawn. I do cut at different heights during different times of the season, but my height rarely changes.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Member

ah i hadnt realizes better out doors was a product line....hrmm those are for sure in our price range...
whats the difference between the hyrdo and the dually? and out of the 32" hydro's the only thing im seeing is an engine difference with a HP difference...which would effect speed and im assuming mulching ability? (higher HP easier and better it can mulch?)

http://betteroutdoorproducts.com/ind...-Inch%20Mowers

anyone have any experience with a quickie?
Old 03-04-2010, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAppealLawnCare View Post
ok folks here is the deal, ive been creeping on all ur posts for the past hrmmm 8 months? never had to post anything because i was able to find everything just from lookin

the question...where a newer lawn care company..did it part time the first yr...banked it all..used some of it to buy out a 5 yr old company....so now where full time and going to be buuussy...

we have only had to use 21" although now we have a few VERY large yards..primarily back yards that back onto golf courses...to do these with 21" sucks!! and its hard to get those sweet lines, although remember we are new and since these are back yards they have gates.....

soo i was thinking a 32 or 36 WB but..those are dam expensive,,,i was in HomeDepot today and saw this

http://www.ariens.com/products_lawn/...s/default.aspx

thoughts? its not commercial but its all steel, B&S engine, adjustable deck. and its $2500 also if i get it this weekend on our homedepot card we dont have to make any payments for a yr

i was wondering if u think its a good started for larger properties with gates, since we are new dont have tons of cash and have to deal with gates

feed back is most welcome!

ps. gettin used commercial items does not seem like an option in my area....

your gonna want to go with a commercial mower no matter what. home owner equipment is ment for people doing there lawn once a week. it will NOT hold up using it week after week.

secondly in the world of lawn maintenance 32" and 36" wb are NOT expensive. if you think they are then you'll never be able to fathom sit down ztr's and stander prices, nor will you be willing to dump the money into one which if you want to keep growing your business you will eventually need to be purchasing standers or sit down ztr's.

thirdly i paid $3 grand for an exmark metro 36" wb with mulch kit brand new 4 years ago when i started my business. i didn't have single client until after i purchased that machine. you should still be able to purchase a new 36" wb for around that much. can't be to far off from the $2500 you want to dump into a P.O.S. home owner model.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
your gonna want to go with a commercial mower no matter what. home owner equipment is ment for people doing there lawn once a week. it will NOT hold up using it week after week.

secondly in the world of lawn maintenance 32" and 36" wb are NOT expensive. if you think they are then you'll never be able to fathom sit down ztr's and stander prices, nor will you be willing to dump the money into one which if you want to keep growing your business you will eventually need to be purchasing standers or sit down ztr's.

thirdly i paid $3 grand for an exmark metro 36" wb with mulch kit brand new 4 years ago when i started my business. i didn't have single client until after i purchased that machine. you should still be able to purchase a new 36" wb for around that much. can't be to far off from the $2500 you want to dump into a P.O.S. home owner model.
its not that we dont have the money its that since we are new the worst thing u can do as a new business is not have a cash reserve (its how most business go under)

but yes i do agree commercial and a WB, i was thinking since it would only be used for those few big lawns that it may get us by for now.

havent been to any exmark dealers around here yet, if i can get those prices then yes i completely agree, ill be lookin this week.

like to eventually nab a ferris ZTR but that is down the road
Old 03-05-2010, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAppealLawnCare View Post
its not that we dont have the money its that since we are new the worst thing u can do as a new business is not have a cash reserve (its how most business go under)

but yes i do agree commercial and a WB, i was thinking since it would only be used for those few big lawns that it may get us by for now.

havent been to any exmark dealers around here yet, if i can get those prices then yes i completely agree, ill be lookin this week.

like to eventually nab a ferris ZTR but that is down the road
before i ever had one single client i bought a truck, 5' x 10' open trailer, 36" wb, backpack blower and a string trimmer all paid for in cash, except for the truck.

i've been in the business 4 years now (this will be my 5th year) and i'm no where near going under.

i'd buy a commercial walkbehind no matter what the price cuz from here on out you should only be getting busier.........
Old 03-05-2010, 01:53 AM
LawnSite Member

"from here on out you should only be getting busier......... "

valid point!

yea we have all the other stuff, just been usin 21" lawn boys and toro's....and i dont feel like spending an hr mowing a lawn when i can do it in a fraction of the time

yardguy, do u do a lot of residential? how does that 36 fit through gates?

Tags
21" , gates , ztr