The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-05-2010, 07:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstan2010 View Post
Would there be a problem running Amsoil 100:1 in a Stihl chainsaw
Posted via Mobile Device
I've been mixing my 2 cycle fuel at 80:1 with the Amsoil Sabre. I use it in everything 2 cycle including all my Stihl chainsaws. Just mix your fuel 80:1. You don't have to go up to 100:1 ratio.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys for your info. I can see most people use the oils that I mentioned.

Connecticut Pesticide Supervisor License

2002 Dodge Ram
16 Ft. Car Trailer
2011 Ferris DD Comfort Control 52
2009 Kubota ZG227 27 H.P. 54"
2008 48 Scag Belt Driven WB with a 17 kawi
Stihl Handhelds
95% Solo Operation
Old 03-05-2010, 07:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scagmower48 View Post
Thanks guys for your info. I can see most people use the oils that I mentioned.
Don't be afraid to mix the oil at 80:1. It protects the internal parts just fine. I have a Echo 210 trimmer that is going on 10 yeas of service that has only had Amsoil used in it. I still use the trimmer as my main trimmer. I have NEVER changed the air filter, sparkplug or for that matter, greased the gear box at the trimmer head! I bought another 210 and will continue to use the 210's with Amsoil and not look back.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkava_4 View Post
What's the price of that Opti-2 and can you buy it by the quart?
I haven't bought a bottle since last year, so I'm not sure if the price has changed. I buy a tip and pour and it lasts a very long time. Last year I may have went through 2 bottles at 15 dollars apiece.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALC-GregH View Post
I've been mixing my 2 cycle fuel at 80:1 with the Amsoil Sabre. I use it in everything 2 cycle including all my Stihl chainsaws. Just mix your fuel 80:1. You don't have to go up to 100:1 ratio.
I've got a Stihl FS-66 from the 90's that I started my biz with 5 years ago. Only paid 15 bucks and a new carburetor for it.

I've used nothing but opti in it since purchasing it. I can't kill it no matter how hard I've tried. Last season I pulled the muffler to check the exhaust port and it was clean as a whistle and the muffler wasn't full of soot like I expected.

Not only that, but from the exhaust side, the piston looked brand new with no scoring.

I might take the cylinder apart and inspect the whole thing this spring.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Last season I pulled the muffler to check the exhaust port and it was clean as a whistle and the muffler wasn't full of soot like I expected.
check the exhaust port? looking for soot? I don't worry about that stuff when using Amsoil. No I'm not affiliated in any way with them.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALC-GregH View Post
check the exhaust port? looking for soot? I don't worry about that stuff when using Amsoil. No I'm not affiliated in any way with them.
I use opt-2 and knew that I probably wasn't going to have any issues. I was doing a regular inspection on my trimmer.

I had no clue who used what in it before I owned it, so that is why I was expecting some damage.

Also, if you read my earlier post I stated that I use opti-2 and Amsoil would be the only other oil I would use as we used to have a sponsor on here from Amsoil and everyone always liked the results they had with it.

I can also go to a local shop and pick up the Opti-2. Amsoil I would have to order.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been using Walmart 2cycle Marine oil for thousands of hours on my 4mixes.No problems at all no exhaust port build up because it's a 4cycle engine. I've used Stihl Ultra, Opti2 etc. If you guys think the expensive mixes make much of a difference than buy it.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryB View Post
I've been using Walmart 2cycle Marine oil for thousands of hours on my 4mixes.No problems at all no exhaust port build up because it's a 4cycle engine. I've used Stihl Ultra, Opti2 etc. If you guys think the expensive mixes make much of a difference than buy it.
I was just thinking about you and your Walmart oil and was about to post and mention about you and your Walmart oil and have good luck first thing, but you beat me to it!!!

I also remember people have good luck with Penzoil 2 cycle and there was a test on deposit with different oil and found that Penzoil out beat ALL other oils......Yes Amsoil too!!! I heard somewhere that Walmart oil is by Penzoil, but don't take my word!!! I guess I want to waste my money, spread the wealth and buy the expensive Amsoil for my babies!!!
Old 03-05-2010, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryB View Post
i'm with you. oil is oil..........

no sense is spending extra money when the cheap stuff works just fine. i bet there hasn't been a single person who has extended the life of there trimmer or blower so long that it was worth spending the extra money on the more expensive mixes.

just like gas and cars. i use the regular 87. no sense in putting the more expensive premium or whatever there called in the vehicle when it runs just fine with regular 87.

nothing lasts forever and the type of oil or gas you use isn't going to extend the life of the machine so much longer you'd end up saving money using the more expensive mixes.