Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-05-2010, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
I run Opti-2 in all my equipment and will never go back to any other type of 2-cycle oil.

I may try the Amsoil someday, but I'm assuming I would get the same excellent results.
Same here, I buy a bunch of those 1 gallon mix packets at a time.
No complaints about Opti.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 03-05-2010, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryB View Post
I've been using Walmart 2cycle Marine oil for thousands of hours on my 4mixes.No problems at all no exhaust port build up because it's a 4cycle engine. I've used Stihl Ultra, Opti2 etc. If you guys think the expensive mixes make much of a difference than buy it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan0354 View Post
I was just thinking about you and your Walmart oil and was about to post and mention about you and your Walmart oil and have good luck first thing, but you beat me to it!!!

I also remember people have good luck with Penzoil 2 cycle and there was a test on deposit with different oil and found that Penzoil out beat ALL other oils......Yes Amsoil too!!! I heard somewhere that Walmart oil is by Penzoil, but don't take my word!!! I guess I want to waste my money, spread the wealth and buy the expensive Amsoil for my babies!!!

Every time I've ever forgotten my Opti-2 bottle at home, I've had to go buy a second rate oil such as Penzoil.

And every time I kick my-self, I get noticeably a little less power, the motor seems to run hotter, and the fumes/exhaust gag me out. With the Opti or similar you get way less smoke.

Also, It might seem more expensive, but I guarantee that because I am using it at 100:1, that I spend half the money every season for two cycle oil compared to using a conventional oil.

And I'm willing to put money on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
i'm with you. oil is oil..........

no sense is spending extra money when the cheap stuff works just fine. i bet there hasn't been a single person who has extended the life of there trimmer or blower so long that it was worth spending the extra money on the more expensive mixes.

just like gas and cars. i use the regular 87. no sense in putting the more expensive premium or whatever there called in the vehicle when it runs just fine with regular 87.

nothing lasts forever and the type of oil or gas you use isn't going to extend the life of the machine so much longer you'd end up saving money using the more expensive mixes.
If you search around the mowing section, guys are complaining that using the cheap gas for their equipment is what kills small equipment faster, and most guys are now buying the higher octane fuels for their equipment.

With the Opti, I've never run into any fuel related issues, thus saving me money on fuel, and repairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
Same here, I buy a bunch of those 1 gallon mix packets at a time.
No complaints about Opti.
Those come in very handy.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't cheap out on the oil you use in your $300+ equipment. The oils you mentioned are about the best 2-stroke oils on the market right now. I personally run Amsoil Sabre mixed with 89 gas at 80:1. I run it in all my 2 strokes, blowers, trimmers, chainsaws, everything, and not once have I had a problem. My BR600 has run it since it was brand new and it never misses a beat and always starts on the second pull. My FS-90 has also used it since it was new and runs the same way. Don't try to save a couple dollars by compromising the quality of the oil you run in your equipment. In the end it could end up costing you many times more than the amount of money your trying to save.
Stihl BR600
Stihl FS90R
Old 03-05-2010, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

we use opti 2 oil and really like it, we get it in the soft packs in cases, on pack per 2.5 gals. very clean and very little soot if ever
Old 03-05-2010, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

right now we use ultra will be switching to something else based on price.
Everyone besides a few have said run good stuff it is better without much reason.
For the people who say run cheap stuff here is "MY" experiance. we run around 10 pieces of stihl equipment trimmer blowers so on. we ran cheap oil because in alot of cases cars trucks and so on the expensive stuff really does not do enough extra good to make the price worth it. Things were fine then started having issues with running wide open idle all sorts of things. Adjusted carbs cleaned them so on and so on. Anyways long story short the cheap oil was gumming everything up. Switched to ultra have had zero problems. I have a very close family friend that is a tech at lube-tech a company here that makes all oils for polaris, arctic cat, bombardier and hundreds of other so he lets me know whats what and so on but thats a whole differnt story.
Sorry I ramble alot point is for use we tried cheap oil had problems had to switch to good oil for the stihl equipment.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Every time I've ever forgotten my Opti-2 bottle at home, I've had to go buy a second rate oil such as Penzoil.

And every time I kick my-self, I get noticeably a little less power, the motor seems to run hotter, and the fumes/exhaust gag me out. With the Opti or similar you get way less smoke.

Also, It might seem more expensive, but I guarantee that because I am using it at 100:1, that I spend half the money every season for two cycle oil compared to using a conventional oil.

And I'm willing to put money on it.

If you search around the mowing section, guys are complaining that using the cheap gas for their equipment is what kills small equipment faster, and most guys are now buying the higher octane fuels for their equipment.

With the Opti, I've never run into any fuel related issues, thus saving me money on fuel, and repairs.

Those come in very handy.
i've never run into any fuel related issues either. it might kill the equipment quicker but i don't think it will kill it that much quicker. it's not like using premium oil will allow to you keep your trimmer around 2+ years longer. if it did then i'd say it's probably worth it.

every time i've had my equipment at the mechanics they are extremelly impressed with how well i take care of my equipment. infact they've told me to run my equipment a little harder at times.

i had a trimmer that started to run a little funny. turned out it had carbon build up on the exhaust because i wasn't running it at full throttle. they told me i can run it at full throttle all the time if i want and it won't hurt it. and i do just that unless i'm around vehicles or areas where there is a high chance of something being picked up and thrown.

if you guys want to buy the more expensive mixes then go right ahead. everyone uses what works for them. right now the oil i get at lowes works just fine.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Oil Mix: I used to run the orange stihl oil mix, I upgraded to the ultra when I purchased a second BR600, the old blower slowly began to run a little better and increased response time. The new blower which has probably about the same amount of hours on my older one runs much better with much more life

Fuel: My stihl dealer advised these machines are not high-performance needing higher octane, he said they have to in the manuals say to use 93 octane because most people will have gas sit around for a couple weeks and the same fuel will stay in the engines components for a couple weeks needing the higher octane but as a landscaper we are burning the gas up so quick the 93 doesn't make a difference between that and the 87 regular. My dealer is in the top 10 stihl dealers in the county and top 25 toro dealers in the U.S. he works on all the stihl equipments and inspects every other piece of equipment when repaired by one of his mechanics. He has been doing this for 40 years. I trust his judgement.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcw615 View Post
Oil Mix: I used to run the orange stihl oil mix, I upgraded to the ultra when I purchased a second BR600, the old blower slowly began to run a little better and increased response time. The new blower which has probably about the same amount of hours on my older one runs much better with much more life

Fuel: My stihl dealer advised these machines are not high-performance needing higher octane, he said they have to in the manuals say to use 93 octane because most people will have gas sit around for a couple weeks and the same fuel will stay in the engines components for a couple weeks needing the higher octane but as a landscaper we are burning the gas up so quick the 93 doesn't make a difference between that and the 87 regular. My dealer is in the top 10 stihl dealers in the county and top 25 toro dealers in the U.S. he works on all the stihl equipments and inspects every other piece of equipment when repaired by one of his mechanics. He has been doing this for 40 years. I trust his judgement.
and i trust the judgement of my dealers/mechanics. and none of them have every pressed me to switch from the oil i use. sure they recommend it and when i purchase a piece of new equipment they try to sell me the oil but they know i don't buy it and they know where i do get my oil.

my equipment has run the same from day one that i bought it. i have a br400 that hasn't skipped a beat on performance since the first day i used it. my oil mix has always been purchased at a hardware store like lowes. hasn't always been the same brand either. right now i strictly use whatever it is lowes sell because it has the measuring cup build right into it and it works for all ratio's so there's no need to have seperate mixes for the trimmers, blowers, snow blowers. i use the same ratio in my trimmers, blowers, edgers, snow blowers.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I once had that mentality that "oil is oil". Boy was I wrong. I would use any 2-cycle that was on sale. About 15 years ago a dealer had convinced me to try Opti-2. He gave me 2 1gal jugs to try out, after I spent about 20K with him that year, he gave it to me as a gift (he also wanted me to start buying my oil from him.)
At that time, I would schedule to have all of our trimmers maintenanced every month. Each month we would clean the filter, spark plug, and muffler. As we were using the Opti-2, we noticed no carbon buildup on the plug and muffler. That was it, here I was buying the premium oil from that dealer.
Ever since then we do the maintenance on the trimmers once in the winter and in the summer or if one comes in for repair, that's it. And, the equipment lasted longer then ever. I ended up saving alot of money buying the Opti-2.
One 1.8oz costs about $1.50 if you buy 1 pouch for 1gal. I now buy it by the 55 gal drum. Costs about $2000. One drum mixes 5500gal. That's $.36 a gal. not Bad.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Member

How much oil to use in 2.5 gallons of gas for 80:1?