Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-06-2010, 01:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscraper1 View Post
I once had that mentality that "oil is oil". Boy was I wrong. I would use any 2-cycle that was on sale. About 15 years ago a dealer had convinced me to try Opti-2. He gave me 2 1gal jugs to try out, after I spent about 20K with him that year, he gave it to me as a gift (he also wanted me to start buying my oil from him.)
At that time, I would schedule to have all of our trimmers maintenanced every month. Each month we would clean the filter, spark plug, and muffler. As we were using the Opti-2, we noticed no carbon buildup on the plug and muffler. That was it, here I was buying the premium oil from that dealer.
Ever since then we do the maintenance on the trimmers once in the winter and in the summer or if one comes in for repair, that's it. And, the equipment lasted longer then ever. I ended up saving alot of money buying the Opti-2.
One 1.8oz costs about $1.50 if you buy 1 pouch for 1gal. I now buy it by the 55 gal drum. Costs about $2000. One drum mixes 5500gal. That's $.36 a gal. not Bad.
exactly what we saw, the drop off of carbon buidup to where it was little or none in a year. the older trimmers also started to run better and we get about 3-5, even 6 years out of trimmers depending on who runs them. some guys are hard on tools and the machines take the brundt
Old 03-06-2010, 01:36 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

OK oK, enough praising on OPTI, how about a little on Amsoil??
Old 03-06-2010, 06:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
infact they've told me to run my equipment a little harder at times.

i had a trimmer that started to run a little funny. turned out it had carbon build up on the exhaust because i wasn't running it at full throttle. they told me i can run it at full throttle all the time if i want and it won't hurt it.
This is one of the reasons I do use Amsoil mixed at 80:1. I have never had to clean out any carbon deposits from my Stihl FC75, FS80, FC95 or BR600. In fact, they all still have the exhaust screens in them without having had to ever clean them. It's not that the Amsoil burns any cleaner (although I'm sure it does) but that I don't have to mix as much oil in. The less oil you run through those ports the less buildup you will get.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
This is one of the reasons I do use Amsoil mixed at 80:1.

You've got more guts than I do. I couldn't run 80:1 if the manufacturer recommends 50:1
Old 03-06-2010, 07:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkava_4 View Post
You've got more guts than I do. I couldn't run 80:1 if the manufacturer recommends 50:1
I have 1 piece of equipment here that been running since 2001 that way. Every piece of equipment I've ever used Amsoil at 80:1 in is still running today. That's a pretty good testimonial.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscraper1 View Post
I once had that mentality that "oil is oil". Boy was I wrong. I would use any 2-cycle that was on sale. About 15 years ago a dealer had convinced me to try Opti-2. He gave me 2 1gal jugs to try out, after I spent about 20K with him that year, he gave it to me as a gift (he also wanted me to start buying my oil from him.)
At that time, I would schedule to have all of our trimmers maintenanced every month. Each month we would clean the filter, spark plug, and muffler. As we were using the Opti-2, we noticed no carbon buildup on the plug and muffler. That was it, here I was buying the premium oil from that dealer.
Ever since then we do the maintenance on the trimmers once in the winter and in the summer or if one comes in for repair, that's it. And, the equipment lasted longer then ever. I ended up saving alot of money buying the Opti-2.
One 1.8oz costs about $1.50 if you buy 1 pouch for 1gal. I now buy it by the 55 gal drum. Costs about $2000. One drum mixes 5500gal. That's $.36 a gal. not Bad.
Quote:
This is one of the reasons I do use Amsoil mixed at 80:1. I have never had to clean out any carbon deposits from my Stihl FC75, FS80, FC95 or BR600. In fact, they all still have the exhaust screens in them without having had to ever clean them. It's not that the Amsoil burns any cleaner (although I'm sure it does) but that I don't have to mix as much oil in. The less oil you run through those ports the less buildup you will get.
all these things you guys list as reason to use the more expensive mixes sound and are great and they would make me switch if it weren't for one thing........

i don't have any of those issues using the oil i use. i don't have carbon deposits ever since i started running my trimmers at high throttle all the time.

i peform maintenance on my trimmers, blowers, edgers once a season. i'll clean the fliter out periodically because it does get dirty sometimes with grass and other debris but thats it.

so how do you convince someone who uses the cheap oil that the more expensive oil is better when they don't have any issues to begin with?????
Old 03-06-2010, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkava_4 View Post
I also like the 80 to 1, fattens up the mixture a little, just what these lean burn motors need IMO.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
so how do you convince someone who uses the cheap oil that the more expensive oil is better when they don't have any issues to begin with?????
I'm not trying to convince you of anything or to try anything. I'm just stating what works for me. I used Echo oil before Amsoil and always had carbon deposits and oil coming out of the mufflers with a 50:1 mix. Now I don't have those problems. I don't run my trimmers or edger wide open all of the time. In fact I probably don't even do it most of the time. I use just enough throttle to get the job done to my satisfaction. IMO, not every situation calls for full throttle unless you're trying to burn the grass to the ground.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard martin View Post
i'm not trying to convince you of anything or to try anything. I'm just stating what works for me. I used echo oil before amsoil and always had carbon deposits and oil coming out of the mufflers with a 50:1 mix. Now i don't have those problems. I don't run my trimmers or edger wide open all of the time. In fact i probably don't even do it most of the time. I use just enough throttle to get the job done to my satisfaction. Imo, not every situation calls for full throttle unless you're trying to burn the grass to the ground.
amen......
Old 03-06-2010, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
I'm not trying to convince you of anything or to try anything. I'm just stating what works for me. I used Echo oil before Amsoil and always had carbon deposits and oil coming out of the mufflers with a 50:1 mix. Now I don't have those problems. I don't run my trimmers or edger wide open all of the time. In fact I probably don't even do it most of the time. I use just enough throttle to get the job done to my satisfaction. IMO, not every situation calls for full throttle unless you're trying to burn the grass to the ground.
I LIKE full throttle!