Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #31  
Old 03-06-2010, 01:11 AM
grassman177's Avatar
grassman177 grassman177 is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: leavenworth, kansas
Posts: 9,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscraper1 View Post
I once had that mentality that "oil is oil". Boy was I wrong. I would use any 2-cycle that was on sale. About 15 years ago a dealer had convinced me to try Opti-2. He gave me 2 1gal jugs to try out, after I spent about 20K with him that year, he gave it to me as a gift (he also wanted me to start buying my oil from him.)
At that time, I would schedule to have all of our trimmers maintenanced every month. Each month we would clean the filter, spark plug, and muffler. As we were using the Opti-2, we noticed no carbon buildup on the plug and muffler. That was it, here I was buying the premium oil from that dealer.
Ever since then we do the maintenance on the trimmers once in the winter and in the summer or if one comes in for repair, that's it. And, the equipment lasted longer then ever. I ended up saving alot of money buying the Opti-2.
One 1.8oz costs about $1.50 if you buy 1 pouch for 1gal. I now buy it by the 55 gal drum. Costs about $2000. One drum mixes 5500gal. That's $.36 a gal. not Bad.
exactly what we saw, the drop off of carbon buidup to where it was little or none in a year. the older trimmers also started to run better and we get about 3-5, even 6 years out of trimmers depending on who runs them. some guys are hard on tools and the machines take the brundt
__________________
all is fair in love and grass! Man, it smells like sheet, do you smell that!!
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 03-06-2010, 01:36 AM
Alan0354's Avatar
Alan0354 Alan0354 is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: San Jose, Ca.
Posts: 4,458
OK oK, enough praising on OPTI, how about a little on Amsoil??
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 03-06-2010, 06:25 AM
Richard Martin's Avatar
Richard Martin Richard Martin is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 14,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
infact they've told me to run my equipment a little harder at times.

i had a trimmer that started to run a little funny. turned out it had carbon build up on the exhaust because i wasn't running it at full throttle. they told me i can run it at full throttle all the time if i want and it won't hurt it.
This is one of the reasons I do use Amsoil mixed at 80:1. I have never had to clean out any carbon deposits from my Stihl FC75, FS80, FC95 or BR600. In fact, they all still have the exhaust screens in them without having had to ever clean them. It's not that the Amsoil burns any cleaner (although I'm sure it does) but that I don't have to mix as much oil in. The less oil you run through those ports the less buildup you will get.
__________________
Serving Greenville, Winterville and Ayden NC



Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 03-06-2010, 07:25 AM
Merkava_4's Avatar
Merkava_4 Merkava_4 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Clovis CA
Posts: 1,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
This is one of the reasons I do use Amsoil mixed at 80:1.

You've got more guts than I do. I couldn't run 80:1 if the manufacturer recommends 50:1
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 03-06-2010, 07:57 AM
Richard Martin's Avatar
Richard Martin Richard Martin is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 14,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkava_4 View Post
You've got more guts than I do. I couldn't run 80:1 if the manufacturer recommends 50:1
I have 1 piece of equipment here that been running since 2001 that way. Every piece of equipment I've ever used Amsoil at 80:1 in is still running today. That's a pretty good testimonial.
__________________
Serving Greenville, Winterville and Ayden NC



Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 03-06-2010, 08:57 AM
yardguy28 yardguy28 is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscraper1 View Post
I once had that mentality that "oil is oil". Boy was I wrong. I would use any 2-cycle that was on sale. About 15 years ago a dealer had convinced me to try Opti-2. He gave me 2 1gal jugs to try out, after I spent about 20K with him that year, he gave it to me as a gift (he also wanted me to start buying my oil from him.)
At that time, I would schedule to have all of our trimmers maintenanced every month. Each month we would clean the filter, spark plug, and muffler. As we were using the Opti-2, we noticed no carbon buildup on the plug and muffler. That was it, here I was buying the premium oil from that dealer.
Ever since then we do the maintenance on the trimmers once in the winter and in the summer or if one comes in for repair, that's it. And, the equipment lasted longer then ever. I ended up saving alot of money buying the Opti-2.
One 1.8oz costs about $1.50 if you buy 1 pouch for 1gal. I now buy it by the 55 gal drum. Costs about $2000. One drum mixes 5500gal. That's $.36 a gal. not Bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
This is one of the reasons I do use Amsoil mixed at 80:1. I have never had to clean out any carbon deposits from my Stihl FC75, FS80, FC95 or BR600. In fact, they all still have the exhaust screens in them without having had to ever clean them. It's not that the Amsoil burns any cleaner (although I'm sure it does) but that I don't have to mix as much oil in. The less oil you run through those ports the less buildup you will get.
all these things you guys list as reason to use the more expensive mixes sound and are great and they would make me switch if it weren't for one thing........

i don't have any of those issues using the oil i use. i don't have carbon deposits ever since i started running my trimmers at high throttle all the time.

i peform maintenance on my trimmers, blowers, edgers once a season. i'll clean the fliter out periodically because it does get dirty sometimes with grass and other debris but thats it.

so how do you convince someone who uses the cheap oil that the more expensive oil is better when they don't have any issues to begin with?????
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 03-06-2010, 09:48 AM
dishboy dishboy is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: zone 6
Posts: 3,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkava_4 View Post
You've got more guts than I do. I couldn't run 80:1 if the manufacturer recommends 50:1
I also like the 80 to 1, fattens up the mixture a little, just what these lean burn motors need IMO.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 03-06-2010, 09:52 AM
Richard Martin's Avatar
Richard Martin Richard Martin is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 14,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
so how do you convince someone who uses the cheap oil that the more expensive oil is better when they don't have any issues to begin with?????
I'm not trying to convince you of anything or to try anything. I'm just stating what works for me. I used Echo oil before Amsoil and always had carbon deposits and oil coming out of the mufflers with a 50:1 mix. Now I don't have those problems. I don't run my trimmers or edger wide open all of the time. In fact I probably don't even do it most of the time. I use just enough throttle to get the job done to my satisfaction. IMO, not every situation calls for full throttle unless you're trying to burn the grass to the ground.
__________________
Serving Greenville, Winterville and Ayden NC



Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 03-06-2010, 10:13 AM
ALC-GregH's Avatar
ALC-GregH ALC-GregH is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 7,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard martin View Post
i'm not trying to convince you of anything or to try anything. I'm just stating what works for me. I used echo oil before amsoil and always had carbon deposits and oil coming out of the mufflers with a 50:1 mix. Now i don't have those problems. I don't run my trimmers or edger wide open all of the time. In fact i probably don't even do it most of the time. I use just enough throttle to get the job done to my satisfaction. Imo, not every situation calls for full throttle unless you're trying to burn the grass to the ground.
amen......
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 03-06-2010, 10:18 AM
dishboy dishboy is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: zone 6
Posts: 3,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I'm not trying to convince you of anything or to try anything. I'm just stating what works for me. I used Echo oil before Amsoil and always had carbon deposits and oil coming out of the mufflers with a 50:1 mix. Now I don't have those problems. I don't run my trimmers or edger wide open all of the time. In fact I probably don't even do it most of the time. I use just enough throttle to get the job done to my satisfaction. IMO, not every situation calls for full throttle unless you're trying to burn the grass to the ground.
I LIKE full throttle!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:04 AM.

Page generated in 0.10736 seconds with 7 queries