Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-06-2010, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

we use them at 3/4 throttle most of the time, but they will last longer and have less issues as they are designed to be run at full throttle most of the time. recommended by mechanics and manufactorers to do so. granted, the use of full out crazy has to be used with common sense as taht would tell you not to do so when edging along rocks and things that can be thrown, or around people.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post

so how do you convince someone who uses the cheap oil that the more expensive oil is better when they don't have any issues to begin with?????
It's cheaper in the long run because you use less oil to mix.

Basically if you are skeptical, the do a Pepsi Challenge with a couple of cans of fuel. Conventional oil in one, and Opti or Amsoil in another.

One try and I'm sure you would convince yourself.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I'm not trying to convince you of anything or to try anything. I'm just stating what works for me. I used Echo oil before Amsoil and always had carbon deposits and oil coming out of the mufflers with a 50:1 mix. Now I don't have those problems. I don't run my trimmers or edger wide open all of the time. In fact I probably don't even do it most of the time. I use just enough throttle to get the job done to my satisfaction. IMO, not every situation calls for full throttle unless you're trying to burn the grass to the ground.
i know your not trying to get me to switch. i was trying to make a general questions. it seems this thread has a lot of people who think using the cheap stuff is a HUGE mistake. they all give very good reasons as to why they think it's a mistake. so that got me wondering how you get someone who uses the cheap stuff and doesn't have the problems the people who use the premium stuff say will happen if you use the cheap stuff, to switch to the premium stuff.

as for the full throttle thing. i'm just doing what the dealers/mechanics tell me. and i don't burn the grass to the ground. if anything i could probably trim a little shorter than what i do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
we use them at 3/4 throttle most of the time, but they will last longer and have less issues as they are designed to be run at full throttle most of the time. recommended by mechanics and manufactorers to do so. granted, the use of full out crazy has to be used with common sense as taht would tell you not to do so when edging along rocks and things that can be thrown, or around people.
finally someone who agrees with me and has heard the same thing i've been told about using the trimmers full throttle. i do not use full throttle when around rock beds or anything else that has a higher chance than the normal of being thrown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
It's cheaper in the long run because you use less oil to mix.

Basically if you are skeptical, the do a Pepsi Challenge with a couple of cans of fuel. Conventional oil in one, and Opti or Amsoil in another.

One try and I'm sure you would convince yourself.
you would only use less oil depending on what ratio you mix it. i use what i use because one ratio covers everything. i don't need to mix one ratio for that piece of equipment that says 50:1 and another mix for the piece that says 80:1 or whatever the ratio may be. i use one mix for everything that requires mix.

before i found this oil i was following what the manual says and i'd have multipul mixes for the different ratios and that was a pain in the ass.

i'm not sure i would convince myself because as stated before unless the premium oil extends your equipment by years it's not worth it to me. my equipment runs at top performance now. it runs as good as it did on day one. so i know i wouldn't see a performance increase as some have that have switched to premium after running the cheap stuff have said.

i'm not trying to say anyone is wrong in using the premium stuff. i'm just stating my opinion of it and how i personally wouldn't use it because i don't it thats much superior to the cheap stuff.

everyone can do what they want and should do what they feel is the correct way.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
all these things you guys list as reason to use the more expensive mixes sound and are great and they would make me switch if it weren't for one thing........

i don't have any of those issues using the oil i use. i don't have carbon deposits ever since i started running my trimmers at high throttle all the time.

i peform maintenance on my trimmers, blowers, edgers once a season. i'll clean the fliter out periodically because it does get dirty sometimes with grass and other debris but thats it.

so how do you convince someone who uses the cheap oil that the more expensive oil is better when they don't have any issues to begin with?????
I don't think anyone here is going to benifit from convincing you to use Opti. We are here posting our opinions and experience with these oils. Some people just have to learn on their own. You keep running your trimmer at full throttle.
I for one, have over 50 pieces of 2 cycle equipment. Many of our trimmers run about 8 hours a day, only resting during lunch time. I always had carbon buildup no matter what cheap oil I purchased. I can't imagine how much I have saved in PM and purchases of the equipment through the years using Opti-2.
By the way, my company averages about 5 broken windows a year. If I had them all use the trimmers at full throttle, I think we could bring that up to over 20 a year.

Last edited by Landscraper1; 03-06-2010 at 11:49 AM. Reason: adding
Old 03-06-2010, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Aside from joking, seriously, use the one works for you. If you are happy, stay with it. I am happy with Amsoil, I am not going to try Opti for no good reason. I am sure Opti is good, but mine is good too!!!

One note, I don't have the heart to use Amsoil at even 80:1. I use about 60:1 and I do notice things get a little oily particular the air filter housing of all thing!!! I saw a little oil film inside the muffler......absolutely no carbon.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan0354 View Post
One note, I don't have the heart to use Amsoil at even 80:1. I use about 60:1
I posted the evidence and you switched to Amsoil. Do I need to post it again to convince you that it's safe to use at 80:1? Come towards the light Yungman....

Old 03-06-2010, 02:55 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I posted the evidence and you switched to Amsoil. Do I need to post it again to convince you that it's safe to use at 80:1? Come towards the light Yungman....
Old 03-06-2010, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan0354 View Post
Aside from joking, seriously, use the one works for you. If you are happy, stay with it. I am happy with Amsoil, I am not going to try Opti for no good reason. I am sure Opti is good, but mine is good too!!!

One note, I don't have the heart to use Amsoil at even 80:1. I use about 60:1 and I do notice things get a little oily particular the air filter housing of all thing!!! I saw a little oil film inside the muffler......absolutely no carbon.
exactly my point......i'm not going to switch for no good reason. the oil i have works great for me. i haven't had the problems that some have experienced with the cheaper oils. until i do, if that ever happens, i will be sticking with the oil i purchase from lowes.

i'm not saying anyone on here is lying about there experiences from cheaper oil but i don't do anything based solely off of what others have done or experiences.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just as a side note,

This has been an excellent thread on the subject from both vantage points, without being disrespectful to both sides of the issue.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
exactly my point......i'm not going to switch for no good reason. the oil i have works great for me. i haven't had the problems that some have experienced with the cheaper oils. until i do, if that ever happens, i will be sticking with the oil i purchase from lowes.

i'm not saying anyone on here is lying about there experiences from cheaper oil but i don't do anything based solely off of what others have done or experiences.
I concern I have is that oil label like "Walmart" or "Sears" bug me a little. Because they are not in the oil or just out door equipments. They buy from a vender. The oil might be just as good. But they might change vender and would be a totally different oil. I know even Stihl buy oil from venders, but they are in this business, they should( better) know what they are doing!!! So I think the quality is more consistent( I hope!!!).

In your case, I think you are safe because I don't think the oil label "Lowes" brand. If it is brand "XYZ" etc. That means it is a brand of oil and they better know what they are doing.

I think for someone that like Walmart oil, continue to use it but pay attention to the looks ( color, bottle lable etc.) and the smell of exhaust. If all of a sudden something change, then you know they change brand of vender on you and you should be aware of it.

Just a side note and it is purely my logic. Whether it is good logic or "chicken" logic, it's for you to judge!!!