Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-07-2010, 01:49 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Come to think about it, There are a lot of praises on Both synthetic and dino cheap oil. BUT I heard quite a few complains on those synthetic blend oils like Shindaiwa One, Echo Power Blend etc.

I personally do not like Shindy One. My blower did not run smooth and smelled really bad. I did not even finish the 6 pack and I gave it away to my friend. Echo was ok until I switch to Amsoil. Smells ok and stuff ran smooth. I used it for about 5 months with no ill effect. I personally don't have anything bad to say about the Echo oil.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

For the people buying "cheap" oil, what are you really saving?
Hey, it's your business and a few bucks can make a difference, but do you base all purchases on getting the cheapest?
Would you buy gas from a questionable or unknown source to save 5 cents on the gallon?
I'm just switching to Amsoil for a couple of reasons: Fully synthetic, not much arguement there - and I'll mix it 50:1, leaning it out only saves PENNIES per gallon.
And speaking of pennies, just had 3 gallons delivered to my door (no trip to dealer) for just over $100 so it is less than OPTI and not much more for either the regular Stihl or the blended Stihl.
So if you are using 50 gallons a year, cost might be an issue. Me. maybe two gallons, Amsoil, the really good stuff is a no brainer...
Accelerator Baggers
Toro 21"
Honda 21"
Sthil 110 4-Mix String Trimmer
Sthil 420 BP Blower
Echo 755 Blower
Sthil HS-81 Hedge Trimmer
Spyker Spreader
Plugr PL 800 WB Aerator
Lawn Soultions WB Aerator

Echo BP Sprayers
Old 03-16-2010, 01:39 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by khutch View Post
For the people buying "cheap" oil, what are you really saving?
Hey, it's your business and a few bucks can make a difference, but do you base all purchases on getting the cheapest?
Would you buy gas from a questionable or unknown source to save 5 cents on the gallon?
I'm just switching to Amsoil for a couple of reasons: Fully synthetic, not much arguement there - and I'll mix it 50:1, leaning it out only saves PENNIES per gallon.
And speaking of pennies, just had 3 gallons delivered to my door (no trip to dealer) for just over $100 so it is less than OPTI and not much more for either the regular Stihl or the blended Stihl.
So if you are using 50 gallons a year, cost might be an issue. Me. maybe two gallons, Amsoil, the really good stuff is a no brainer...
If you use over 50 gallons a year, business is good, cost is not an issue either!!!
Old 03-16-2010, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Beating a dead Horse, Or beating the dead Dino Oil, take your pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Ya, actually it is rocket science, at least from an oil formulation standpoint.

Here, think of it this way.......

Large company X goes through 10 trimmers a season because of high use, volume and using "standard" 2 cycle oil. Not only does the oil not let the user get as much life out of it, but also more maintenance and down time due to the inferior quality of a standard oil, such as residue buildup in the carbs, and soot deposits in the exhaust ports.

So, 10 trimmers a year at $500 a pop is $5000, + down time and repair $1000 a year. Over say 20 years that totals $120,000 dollars.

If, you could get even 6 more months of use out of each trimmer, you would replace the trimmers 13.33333 times over 20 years, plus saving $500 a year in down time and repairs.

So, replacing 10 trimmers every 18 months in 20 years gives you $65,000 in trimmers plus 10,000 in repairs, gives you $75,000 total over 20 years in trimmer costs.

That's a $45,000 dollar savings in 20 years...................................
Just posted this in another thread.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=307517&page=3

I just can't say enough of the added benefits of using a higher grade oil.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I ended up buying Shindaiwa One Synthetic Blend for half the cost of the Stihl Ultra. I will see how if performs this season and if it does good I will keep on using it. I use about 1 and 1/4 gallon of 2 stroke per year, so I saved like $35 this year by doing that. If I do this for 30 years I will have saved $1050 plus interest just by switching 2 stroke oil brands. When I do this full time I expect my 2 stroke usage to double, so the savings will be double.

I hope this oil works good, as I am tired of paying that much for Ultra. Yeah someone can say its only $30 a year but look at the math I just did. It adds up real quick.

Connecticut Pesticide Supervisor License

2002 Dodge Ram
16 Ft. Car Trailer
2011 Ferris DD Comfort Control 52
2009 Kubota ZG227 27 H.P. 54"
2008 48 Scag Belt Driven WB with a 17 kawi
Stihl Handhelds
95% Solo Operation
Old 03-16-2010, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scagmower48 View Post
I hope this oil works good, as I am tired of paying that much for Ultra. Yeah someone can say its only $30 a year but look at the math I just did. It adds up real quick.
I've been using Echo Power Blend for seven years with no issues, and about $24 a gallon. Here's the thing that makes me grin... My Stihl dealer recommended it to me even though it cost him a sale since he only carrys the Stihl Ultra.

For the most part you'll find if you read the MSDS sheets that all these brands buy their oil from a big oil co. In the case of Echo it comes from Citgo.

Riding through life on the short bus.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgc8fan View Post
For the most part you'll find if you read the MSDS sheets that all these brands buy their oil from a big oil co. In the case of Echo it comes from Citgo.
Apparently Amsoil makes their own oil. Here's the MSDS for Amsoil Sabre. Amsoil is listed as the manufacturer.

http://www.amsoil.com/msds/ato.pdf

Old 03-29-2010, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Stihl not honoring warranty on chainsaws using Opti 2

Just repeating a story here--not making a judgement! Was talking to a commercial tree trimmer friend of mine today, ask him if he was still using Opti-2 oil (which mixes at 100:1). He said he was now using Stihl oil because Stihl would not honor warranty on three saws that went out on him while he was doing insurance work after the big ice storm in Kentucky last year. One of the saws was only a few months old, the other two were just over a year old. These were big commercial saws--he said about $7,500 to replace. The saws apparently overheated while being worked really hard--blamed on lubrication failure. He thought about getting a lawyer, but decided to cut his losses rather than risk legal costs with questionable results--mfg (Stihl) definitely states a 50:1 ratio was to be used .

Trimmers may not work as hard as chainsaws, but as I heard this story today, I thought of the many threads discussing oils and ratios.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

These kinds of thread have some interesting information. Forget for a moment the merits of mixing at 50:1, 80:1, 100:1, and all the technical pieces. Consider the comments regarding costs.

"I use pillow packets ...., easy and convenient ....," while at the same time many complain about costs of 2 cycle oil. If somebody is using the pillow packets and yet complaining about costs, a very basic point has been missed.

The costs of the mixed fuel using pillow packets is soooooo much higher than if you buy a gallon, or even a quart, and mix your own. Using the larger container, you can mix at any ratio you choose (50:1, 80:1, 100:1, or ???). But, the cost factor is huge between a gallon of mixed fuel with pillow packets and a gallon mixed from oil out of a gallon container. I did the numbers a few years back, and find the costs astounding.

For the "ease and convenience," some are paying a very large price. Oh yes, these often are the same folks who complain about the cost of gasoline at the pump. No foundation to complain about costs at the pump, if using the pillow packets. Buying in gallon, or quarts, is an easy way to save on expenses.

BTW, check with your NAPA store about availability of Amsoil. My local store carries a wide range of products over the counter, including Sabre pre-mix, and 15W-40 (I use for hydro oil).
Old 03-30-2010, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Member

OK, heres a stupid question. Opti 2 mixes at 1.8oz. per gallon which I am guessing is 80-1. Using it at 50-1 would be OK too right? I have a Stihl 4mix engine and want to stick to the 50-1 recomendation. If I was running a 2 stroke I would be willing to use the 80-1 but I don't know how the 4 mix would like the 80-1.
Toro Recycler self propelled
Stihl fs90 trimmer
Craftsman blower vac