Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-06-2010, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The thing is with homeowners they buy el cheapo piece of crap beat the heck out of it don't maintain it,leave it out in the rain then expect you to resurrect it.Then if you have to get parts for a piece of crap machine it's not worth fixing.My son did 3yrs small engine tech school,and people keep giving him worn out crap to fix.Sometimes he spends hours on this stuff only to find that it's really shot,I keep telling him only work on commercial grade equipment the rest is mostly throw away junk;not worth fixing(if they only spent $100 for it brand new they're not going to want to pay you $75 to fix it).
Old 03-06-2010, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Yep, I have learned the art of quick estimates on cheap stuff to see if its worth the repair fee or not.

I thought about picking up just a few yards for this year as well, not sure what I am going to do for that right now. I really would like to just focus on getting one thing going, seems to me that if I divide my attention, then I am only going to get 1/2 of the result that I could have had if I would have focused 100% of my attention to it.

I think in the long run having a service center may be the way to go.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
that's a sharp card. Don't get the cheap crap paper for those. Why don't you do both? Your near flint and all you would need is a walk behind for in town lots. You could grow it and someone else do the mowing and you could do repair. You may not get that much with repair to start off. You should try ATV repair too. Most dealers are 70-90 a hour. ATV's are not bad to work on either.
Yep I always get heavyweight gloss paper for business cards. Nothing like a cheap card for a first impression lol.

I will probably get into atv/motorcycle/go kart repair as well. I was a certified motorcycle mechanic, but I let it expire.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a Yamaha 350, and I had a gear weld it self to the shaft in the transmission. Yamaha dealer said that it would be $1,000 to fix. I said screw it. I fixed it my self. Took 3 months to fix. It was not really that bad. $300 in parts was all I spent. Yamaha said that my warrior is the most complicated machine to work on. Still runs great. If you had high school kid that you knew, he could mow for you. Plus he could help if you had a bunch of small stuff you needed to work on.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Member

I had a warrior, they aren't that bad. Also had a Banshee and a Blaster. I am a big Yamaha fan.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

how about setting up a mobile shop liek a box van, and rather than going and picking up stuff and bringing back home... you can drive out and make your repair and get on to the next job...

obviously some repairs you cant do on site. but routine oil changes, blade changes, ect... and with the box van if you can't finish the repair you winch it up into the box van and then take if home....
Old 03-06-2010, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah not a bad idea either, I saw some people do offer that service. John Deere now offers it as well.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:30 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I don't think a very big rider mower would fit in a box van. If you had a wood bottom trailer then you would have a nice surface to work on and have all your tools in the van. I can only fit a 42inch in the back of a pickup.
My warrior is a 87, first year they came out. It would be interesting to know how close to the fist one made it is.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Yeah, there's lots of pros and cons to being mobile, just not sure there's enough pros for me.

Mine was a 2003, they sure didn't change much over the years.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

There's a guy in North Jersey lawnmowerdoctor.com who advertises on craig's list,on site,same day repair for all power equipment,7 days a week.He has a conversion van with a folding ramp attached to the rear,all lettered up with his advertising.The advantages are you don't have to pay rent on your shop space (keeps your overhead low)and every where you go people read your advertisement.I think it's a great low cost way to start up and get your name out there.