Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-07-2010, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Yeah I ran across him when I was doing some research. My issue is what do you do everytime you need parts like blades or belts? You can't stock everything for every mower on the truck, so your stuck making multiple trips.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Member

I have decided I am going to do both, since I have a feeling that neither will keep me busy full time for the first year.
Also, when I design my door hangers, I can use one side for lawn care, and the other for small engine repair. That way twice the chance of gaining a customer from that house, they may need lawn service or their equipment serviced.
Old 03-07-2010, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

sounds like a good plan. Be easy to go mobile too.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm25x View Post
Here's a start...

Business card and flier design. Did them myself.
Please print and distribute at least 1,000 of those.

Be sure though to set aside enough money for lawyer fees to pay the lawsuits which will result from using the 10 logos that you are not authorized to use without being an actual authorized dealer for those brands. And believe me.. you start passing those out in your area, you WILL have that many lawsuits to deal with. After that you will be happy to have had that $8.50/hr job (which really you cost more than $8.50/hr if the place is paying you on the up and up and contributing to your social security, medicare, medical benefits and the amount of unemployment insurance that they must pay based on your wages).
Old 03-08-2010, 07:07 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

if you display the copy rights, can you be suited?
Old 03-08-2010, 07:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
I don't think a very big rider mower would fit in a box van.
lawn crew are using them to transport large ztrs. a box with a 14' cube is around 8 feet wide and 14 feet long... if you put a dove tail on it it make its even easier to get equipment up and in. and the nice thing you can use the box van to transport your lawn mowing equipment when you dot have a repair job scheduled...
Old 03-08-2010, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
if you display the copy rights, can you be suited?
Yes, it's not just about displaying the "copy rights", it's about having permission to use them, and there is no way that any authorized dealer in his area is going to not make a fuss with their represented brand about him using the logos in his advertising, because by placing those on there he is misrepresenting himself to potential customers that would be led to believe he is supported by the manufacturer of those products.

But hey, if he wants to do it anyway, I have nothing to say about it, i'm just trying to provide a little fair warning to help save him some money.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Member

no thats cool, didn't think about that.

I actually have a job interview on wednesday for a local company to be a mechanic, so if I can do that for now I will, then I will have more time and money to get myself set up better to be in business for myself. Even if that doesn't happen till next year.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm25x View Post
no thats cool, didn't think about that.

I actually have a job interview on wednesday for a local company to be a mechanic, so if I can do that for now I will, then I will have more time and money to get myself set up better to be in business for myself. Even if that doesn't happen till next year.
You will always make more money working for somebody else than trying to work for yourself (unless you are doing mowing, that's probably one of the few businesses with a relatively low entry point money wise)
Old 03-11-2010, 07:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Not when they want to pay minimum wage.... sheesh.

Going to go into repair full swing for myself. Only charging $30/hr when all the local shops charge $60+ so I think that will help. Going to have a strong marketing campaign that I have already started.