Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-05-2010, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Door to Door Marketing

I went door to door the other day and tried to target a few neighbors of houses I mow. I was very suprised how nice people were and how eager people were to talk. I found the experience overall, very pleasing. I am not sure that I will get any new customers, but a few of them said they would keep me in mind as they mow their own yard, but might not be able to much longer due to age. Others asked about trimming bushes, cleaning gutters, etc, and said they might call. I think it was just a good way to get my name out there.

Now I plan to go around my own neighborhood and try and talk to my own neighbors. I think I can probably give some a better deal as I live so close to them and will basically have no drive time. I will not lowball, but I will see if I can work something out or at least see what others are charging.

So, all in all, for those of you have thought about door to door, give it a try it can work well.

Please don't move this thread!!!!!!!!
Old 03-05-2010, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Door to door has always been a GREAT way to advertise, it lets potential customers see you and what you are all about! Great job, keep doing it and I am SURE your phone will be ringing very soon...
Old 03-05-2010, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think talking with neighbors of your current customers, is a good idea, whether it be leaving a door hanger at the residence or actually knocking on the door and talking with the homeowner. But you do have to be careful because you are doing "door to door sales" and in many areas you need to have a permit.

But I think if you aproach the potential customer the right way you can get away, you won't get them angry. But there is always the chance that you will make someone upset. I'm the type of person who doesn't like people who come to my door and try and sell me something or ask for pop cans.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds