Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-05-2010, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Joe Stack estimate

Joe Stack-aka the guy who recently flew the plane into the Austin, Texas building--he asked me for an estimate about a year ago--his reply to my estimate talked about how lawn companies never show up when they are supposed to and charge the customer anyways--run over irrigation heads and throw rocks into his windows...more mind numbing dribble--

I was upset and wanted to convince this guy to go with us...I spent about two hours crafting a very well thought out response to email back...trying to calm his fears and talk a lot about how our company was different...then it occured to me after I had my third beer--this guy is going to be a headache--
I simply sent him a note thanking him for the compliment he had paid our company (good reviews from neighbors who had used our service)...and never thought anything of the matter...until a few weeks back....I kinda feel like I had escaped death as I would have surely been the guy mowing his lawn the day he went nuts....
2 Sears electric weedeaters
1 green machine electric leaf blower
1 sears articulating hedge trimmer-electric
2 50ft power cords
3 Leaf rakes
1 shovel
1 pocket knife
cooler for beer
lawn chair to enjoy a beer while I wait for the cash to be handed to me
Old 03-05-2010, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I was going to tell you guys how I've heard them all, but...
Turns out I was wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend cut easymoney View Post
Joe Stack-aka the guy who recently flew the plane into the Austin, Texas building--he asked me for an estimate about a year ago--his reply to my estimate talked about how lawn companies never show up when they are supposed to and charge the customer anyways--run over irrigation heads and throw rocks into his windows...more mind numbing dribble--

I was upset and wanted to convince this guy to go with us...I spent about two hours crafting a very well thought out response to email back...trying to calm his fears and talk a lot about how our company was different...then it occured to me after I had my third beer--this guy is going to be a headache--
I simply sent him a note thanking him for the compliment he had paid our company (good reviews from neighbors who had used our service)...and never thought anything of the matter...until a few weeks back....I kinda feel like I had escaped death as I would have surely been the guy mowing his lawn the day he went nuts....
No way LOL!

I got some good ones but I honestly can't top that one.
Omg, out of all the crazy crap I read on here, the sick of it is I believe this one's most likely true...

That has got to be the most astounding thing I have heard in all of 8 years, for sure.
Daaaayum, I mean...

You win.

Last edited by topsites; 03-05-2010 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Blevins View Post
i just had a cancelation from a customer for this years lawn service because I cut her yard to fast.
I had one of these last year. She didn't believe that I had cut the back yard because I was only there for 30min. I told her to go ahead and look...and she refused to look....fired me on the spot. What a moron! At least she paid cash every week.

The common thread with these moochers is they're always looking for something free. She'd ask me to pull vines off of the house, knock down the weeds in her sorry vegetable garden, move lawn ornaments before/after mowing, help her bring in groceries, etc. She never tipped for the extra work and she bitched every week.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I am so glad [knock on wood] that I do not have any of those type customers. I would get some of these types years ago, but the plain stupid complaints got dropped quick.

What gripes my butt is when people get pissed when you tell them your schedule is full and you are not taking on any more lawns. I had one this Tuesday get mad and told me I should take the signs off of my truck and get some plain shirts if I was so xxxxxxx good that I do not need anymore lawns. I was nice and told him I keep those on there because I still have some room for more fert and squirt clients that are nice to me.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Dawg View Post
I am so glad [knock on wood] that I do not have any of those type customers. I would get some of these types years ago, but the plain stupid complaints got dropped quick.

What gripes my butt is when people get pissed when you tell them your schedule is full and you are not taking on any more lawns. I had one this Tuesday get mad and told me I should take the signs off of my truck and get some plain shirts if I was so xxxxxxx good that I do not need anymore lawns. I was nice and told him I keep those on there because I still have some room for more fert and squirt clients that are nice to me.
i had people doing that to ma after the big snow we had here (26" in 12 hours) when i would tell them that the soonest i could get there was about 2 days from now they would get P.O.ed and swear at me like i had control of the weather.

join us on FACEBOOK www.facebook.com/ClarkLawnMaint
Old 03-05-2010, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone ever have a customer tell you not to use a rider on their lawn in hot dry conditions because it will suck up the grass by the roots out of the soil? and to use a push mower instead because the blades turn slower?

If you did want to keep such a moron and not lose the account.

I would play their game and say you would re-gear the mower to have the blades turn slower. That's was a good idea. Thought I noticed that too.

Next time you mow tell them.... boy that made a big make difference, don't you agree!!

Costs nothing but your dignity to play the game.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Member

idk man

u should of told them u would turn the throttle down then smile and walk away and tell them to keep their money thats the dumbest thing iv ever herd
Old 03-05-2010, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Member

I had an elderly lady tell me my mower is too big,you mow too fast , charge too much, but the yard sure looks good when you get done. was a good customer for several years.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have a buddy who is new this season to the green industry and he allready has a ztr (well it is his dads because he has a 2 acre yard) And he has 3 accounts lined up one says he cant use the ztr but he will pay him really well. But the reason he cant use the ztr is because he thinks it will ruin the yard. This is all because we have to many ididots around here that mow in the rain and destroy yards. I had a person that wanted me to use there mower but I simply said I woulud not.
Ferris 32
Toro 21
Redmax BCZ2401s, Redmax HE225f, Redmax EBZ7100 Kawasaki KRB300
1999 Honda Oddsey
6X10 trailer
Old 03-05-2010, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had a lady a few years back that had a fenced back yard. So I used my 32" WB. She came out after i just about got my 2 perimeter passes made, " I thought I told you I wanted it cut short. This yard is zoysia (unsure on spelling) it needs to be cut short" Now she did tell me this and that stuffs browns out bad in the summer heat around here. I was cutting at 2". She said it wasn't short enough. I told her it would kill her grass as soon as the heat set in. She said it will be fine. Okee dokie. Dropped the deck to 1 1/2" and made two passes more. Came out madder than pack of hornets. Thats too short my grass is gonna die. You can't cut zoysia that short. I don't want that big mower on my yard anymore. You grass guys all wanna use these big mowers and they tear up the yard. I was laughing on the inside, but ready to do doughnuts in her yard mad. Mowed it one more time with a 21 and give her a line about not being able to cut it anymore. She told me when she gave me the money that she had to water her grass every day since I had been there and how I should think about giving her a break because I caused her yard to brown out. I kindly took my money and never looked back.

http://www.razorsedgelawn.com/