Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-05-2010, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend cut easymoney View Post
I lost one several years ago becauwe the customer said that I mowed over the trash in their lawn--when I would arrive there were lots of small pieces of fabric in the lawn...more than 40 or 50 scattered around the front lawn--I worked really hard picking it all up for several year--they always were slow payers--2 cuts behind in payment---then the trash got much much worse each time I cut--kinda like it accumilated over two weeks time...

So I decided to cut my costs by not pick up the trash--my thought was--they don't care about the trash in the lawn, so why should I spend time to pick it up first--heck with them--funny to see them upset with me after I made the 40 pieces into 440 pieces--I got my money and the boot--but found a better class of customer--
NICE!!!!
Old 03-05-2010, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

that is crazy. i have never been told not to use a mower in dry conditions ( i only have a WB not a ZTR) but i have been asked not to use my mower in wet areas
61'' Scag V-Ride 29 HP Kawi
48" Exmark Lazer Z HP
48'' Bobcat Ransome Mower
21'' Husqvarna Mower
Stihl FS55R Weedwacker
Stihl FS100RX Weedwacker
Stihl BR600 Backpack Blower
Stihl MS180C Chainsaw
Giant Vac Walk Behind Blower
Kawasaki KHT600S Hedge Trimmer
Giant Vac 16HP Leaf Loader
Old 03-05-2010, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i had a customer gal tell me to skip this week because she was to tired for me to mow the grass. i almost couldn't control my laughter when see called and told me that..
Old 03-05-2010, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had so many customers fire me for using the rider on their lawn i quit using it on any of the in town lots. I cant understand why people are so stuck in their ways. Oh ...by the way... all of the ones I got fired from were the ones that the big ztr made look perfect when i was done.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the jrminator View Post
the homeowner came out and told me that by using the tractor the blades turn fast enough to "suck up the grass" and to use the 21" push mower.
Just when I thought I've heard everything, something else tops it.

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Worked with a company 23 years where I went into 20+ customers homes per day. Heard and seen a lot of stuff. Nothing surprizes me much.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Took me a bit to figure this next one out...

While all them whipper-snappers go out there knocking out their 300+ lawns a day...

I found most of them kind of customers just want somebody that doesn't treat them like the next ho to go pimp off for a dollar.
Granted some might be PITA's but most are probably just asking that someone at least try and pretend they're human.

I know how it is, some might think that the harder a man works, the more money they'll take home.
I used to think that, too.

Now I notch the gear selector down a slot and take it a little slower, ooops it takes longer,
I don't work near as hard, when I'm finished I collect my money, and go home.

Last edited by topsites; 03-06-2010 at 12:51 AM.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Ive had, many times in the past, customers say to me " the grass grew kinda long this week could you lower your blades a notch this week" Every time I tell them sure then go over to my machines and crouch down in front and act like Im doing something for a minute. then I mow the lawn. After Im done I knock on the door and ask if everything looks ok. Every Time and I mean every time the customers tell me "it looks great cut it that height every time". I just smile to myself.

On the subject of trash in yards a couple of years ago I had an apartment duplex where a lady with three small kids lived. Every week I would pull up she would be in the back yard with her kids. It has a fairly sizable front yard so I would start mowing there. Every week for a couple of months she would take her kids inside and leave their toys all over the yard, lots of crap toys squirt guns plastic trucks and the like. Well one week I had had it. I told myself Im going to get fired but I dont give a damn. I went into the back yard and as usuall all kinds of toys were scattered all over. As the woman and her kids watched I mowed all the toys into oblivion and covered the back yard with shards of plastic. When I got home, as expected I had a message on the answering machine from the apartment owner. The message was something like this. " My renter called and informed me that you did not pick up the toys she had left in the lawn and you mowed all of the toys into peices, if she leaves anything in the lawn ever again do the same thing mow the %$^ out of them. I still have this client and have never picked up anouther thing out of this yard.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Member

laborslawncare that is awesome, sometimes you just have to stand your ground.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I was kinda taken aback when I got that guys response to my estimate--it upset me for a day or so that a potential customer would be so difficult up front--the day it snowed in Austin, I was picking up a limb behind the Stack house and the wife and step daughter drove up and were taking photos of their burned down house with the snow--they said "how often do you get to see your house with snow all around it" ...kinda weird, but she seemed really calm and collected--very nice lady though. I offered to take a photo of them with the house in the background...they did not hesitate.
2 Sears electric weedeaters
1 green machine electric leaf blower
1 sears articulating hedge trimmer-electric
2 50ft power cords
3 Leaf rakes
1 shovel
1 pocket knife
cooler for beer
lawn chair to enjoy a beer while I wait for the cash to be handed to me